Ainge On Toucher & Rich: ‘Haven’t Lost Hope’ For Fireworks This Off-Season

+2
k_j_88
6 posters

Go down

Ainge On Toucher & Rich: ‘Haven’t Lost Hope’ For Fireworks This Off-Season Empty Ainge On Toucher & Rich: ‘Haven’t Lost Hope’ For Fireworks This Off-Season

Post by 112288 Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:21 pm

SPORTS HUB

BOSTON (CBS) — The Boston Celtics hinted that fireworks could be coming this summer.
Those fireworks did not come on draft night, as the Celtics used their two first-round selections to draft guard Marcus Smart and guard/forward James Young.

For those fans angry that Kevin Love, or any veteran for that matter, isn’t wearing green today, the C’s are reminding you that there is still plenty of summer left.

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge joined 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich on Friday morning, and said the Celtics were not close to a big deal at the draft, but they’re hopeful something could still get done.

“We’ve spent time over the last month trying to make a bigger splash, trying to make our rebuilding process go a little quicker,” Ainge said Friday. “We’ll continue to try to do that this summer, but it was not close last night. We feel like we’ve been in good discussion and haven’t lost hope on that.”

Ainge said the Celtics’ quest to acquire the first overall pick from the Cleveland Cavaliers was “a bit overblown,” and he would not comment on Love. He said he doesn’t know if Minnesota intends to keep their All Star forward this off-season.

But Ainge had plenty to say of his two newest players. In Smart, Ainge sees an all-around player who leaves it all out on the floor.

“What I love most about Marcus is his competitiveness. He’s a fierce competitor,” said Ainge. “He’s an instigator, strong and physical with long arms and strong hands. I think he has a chance to be a really terrific point guard.”
Drafting a point guard opened up plenty of speculation that the Celtics will look to deal Rajon Rondo, who will be a free agent after the season. The Celtics were insistent Thursday night that Smart and Rondo could co-exist on the court together, and Ainge repeated that again on Friday.

“I think Marcus and Rondo easily can be backcourt mates. Marcus is a guy we felt could play with Rondo or Avery (Bradley) and Phil Pressey. I think they could all play on the court at the same time – Marcus is big enough and long enough to guard some small forwards,” he said.

Ainge also said that picking Smart sixth overall will have no bearing on how they handle Bradley’s pending restricted free agency.

“We love Avery every bit as much as we always have,” said Ainge. “You have to have depth and you have to have versatility. Marcus, Avery and Rondo form a great three-man rotation, along with Phil Pressey. We have room for everybody. I don’t think it means anything to (Rondo and Avery).”

With their second first-round pick, the Celtics drafted James Young 17th overall. While Young is a bit of a raw talent, at just 18-years-old the Celtics had him much higher on their draft board.

“We had ranked much higher than where we drafted him at 17, mostly because he’s young, strong and has long arms,” said Ainge. “He’s always been a good shooter; he didn’t shoot the ball great early at Kentucky… but James is one of those guys that looks like a shooter. He doesn’t hesitate and take the ball to the hole strong.
“We think he’s a two-way player and can defend his position,” he said of Young.

“I’m excited about the two guys we got,” he said. “I don’t have expectations that they can turn around the franchise, but they are two guys who can play a major role on a successful team as they develop.”

Ainge and his staff will be back to work Friday morning, with free agency opening up on Monday.
“This is a busy time,” he said, “no time to rest.”

Back to top Go down

Ainge On Toucher & Rich: ‘Haven’t Lost Hope’ For Fireworks This Off-Season Empty Re: Ainge On Toucher & Rich: ‘Haven’t Lost Hope’ For Fireworks This Off-Season

Post by k_j_88 Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:57 pm

A deeper rotation at guard would work wonders, both on offense and defense.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Ainge On Toucher & Rich: ‘Haven’t Lost Hope’ For Fireworks This Off-Season Empty Re: Ainge On Toucher & Rich: ‘Haven’t Lost Hope’ For Fireworks This Off-Season

Post by hawksnestbeach Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:27 am

"A deeper rotation at guard would work wonders, both on offense and defense." KJ, I'm coming around to that point of view, thanks in part to the highlights of Smart that Bob H. provided a few days ago. I think summer league should be very interesting. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:59 pm

Boston does as of today have a deeper rotation at guard.
Smart will help right away.
It will be interesting to see how the minutes would play out.

I do think Boston needs to go out and make a move that's really going to move the needle.

What about Boston trading Bass/Bogans/Young/draft picks for Brook Lopez?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:19 pm

tjmakz wrote:Boston does as of today have a deeper rotation at guard.
Smart will help right away.
It will be interesting to see how the minutes would play out.

I do think Boston needs to go out and make a move that's really going to move the needle.

What about Boston trading Bass/Bogans/Young/draft picks for Brook Lopez?

TJ,

Philosophically I would have NO problems with that.  Hell, I'd kill for that trade.  My only concern is his chronic foot problems and what we can really count on from him.  He has broken his foot several times.  Andrew Bogut was the #1 pick in the draft and is a good player when healthy but he's out so much his presence, lack of presence, presence, lack of presence is disruptive to on court chemistry.

Other than that, I'm quite good with this.  Quite good.  Would Brooklyn take that deal?  I doubt it.  The NBA Trade Machine won't let me check this trade because the Bogans trade happened less than 12 months ago and you can't take a player back in less than a year.  So, as of tomorrow, we should be able to check this.

Can I submit the suggestion to Danny in your name?  I'll even tell him you're a Laker fan.  Maybe he'll send a nice fruit basket to Mitch on your behalf. LOL.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:34 pm

I'm not sure Brooklyn does that deal but maybe.
It can get them out of Luxury Tax Hell.
It allows them to gain back some draft picks.
Yes, Lopez is a risk to keep and to acquire.

As compensation for this trade proposal, can Danny just hire Jimmy Buss for Ron Adams open position? This way Jeannie and Mitch can focus on the heaving lifting on 7/1 without any kids running around the office.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:40 pm

tjmakz wrote:I'm not sure Brooklyn does that deal but maybe.
It can get them out of Luxury Tax Hell.
It allows them to gain back some draft picks.
Yes, Lopez is a risk to keep and to acquire.

As compensation for this trade proposal, can Danny just hire Jimmy Buss for Ron Adams open position? This way Jeannie and Mitch can focus on the heaving lifting on 7/1 without any kids running around the office.

TJ,

No guts no glory, I suppose.

As far as your proposed compensation goes, I'm afraid not. You're stuck with Dimbo for the next 3-4 years or whatever window he gave himself to recognize he is the poster boy for nepotistic Peter Principle.

From Ron Adams to Dim Buss? Wow. That's like going for a cruise on the HMS Titanic because you had such a good time the last time you went on a cruise on the HMS QE2.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:55 pm

I could live Lopez only if the Celtics can't get Gortat (who I believe has more defensive ability than Lopez and is probably more durable as well).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:01 pm

I would hate to see a trade for damaged goods.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:21 pm

KJ,

Absolutely.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down