Colton Iverson Thinks He Has A Real Chance Of Making The Celtics Roster This Season

5 posters

Go down

Colton Iverson Thinks He Has A Real Chance Of Making The Celtics Roster This Season Empty Colton Iverson Thinks He Has A Real Chance Of Making The Celtics Roster This Season

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Colton Iverson thinks he has real chance of making Boston Celtics roster this season

Colton Iverson Thinks He Has A Real Chance Of Making The Celtics Roster This Season 13028290-mmmain
One year after getting drafted by the Celtics, Colton Iverson thinks he has a real chance at making the roster. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)
Print Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on July 01, 2014 at 12:50 PM, updated July 01, 2014 at 12:53 PM

WALTHAM – Even before the Boston Celtics held a press conference last summer in part to introduce Colton Iverson, whispers had started that the bruising center would likely spend his first season overseas. He tried whatever he could do to force his way onto the Celtics roster, but the whole time he knew the numbers really didn’t work in his favor.

One year later, he views his situation very differently.

“I think this year there’s a little bit better chance, and I know the opportunity is all mine for the taking,” he said Monday morning after the first summer league practice. “I think if I just come out and show what I can do in summer league and in the next couple of days here, it will really help myself. I’m coming along with a different mindset that it’s mine for the taking and it’s all up to me.”

Iverson said he spent the season in Turkey fine-tuning skills like shooting touch, footwork and pick-and-roll play on both ends, but the Celtics drafted him because of his enforcer potential and see similar strengths one year later. Summer league head coach Jay Larranaga smiled several times while trying to describe what Iverson improved while overseason.

“I thought Colton had a really good summer last year. Everyone really took to him. He plays with incredible intensity and physicality, and he’s continued to show that. I’m excited to have him for another summer and help him continue to develop,” Larranaga said. “We really just did a bunch of drill work this morning, so it’s hard to see in game action any differences. He is what he is, though. I mean, he is a big, strong defensive presence (and rebounder). And that has not changed.”

Listed at 7-feet, 255 pounds, Iverson embraces the tough-guy role. Last summer, he said he typically refuses to ice his body and has never undergone surgery, missed a game, or missed practice due to injury. When asked if he’s injured others, he replied with a laugh: “I’ve broken a few bones.”

The 25-year-old's averages in Turkey don’t jump off the page (8.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 20.9 minutes) but he’s a relatively mobile 7-footer who can alter games with his physicality. Obviously a lot can change with regards to the Celtics roster, but Joel Anthony and Vitor Faverani currently count as the only centers. The former is presumably rehabbing from season-ending injury to repair a torn lateral meniscus, while the latter doesn't have either ideal size or skills. Iverson could warrant a long look. The Celtics believed in him enough to acquire an extra pick last summer and really like his intensity and brute style.

Kelly Olynyk sometimes matches up against Iverson in drills.

“He didn’t get any smaller over there,” Olynyk smiled. “I think he’s been working hard over there. He’s playing good. He’s a big, strong guy who’s going to rebound and cause havoc on the defensive end, and hopefully he can stretch out and knock down the midrange jumper now.”

But spreading the floor will never be Iverson's biggest draw, a fact that is not lost on him.

"I had to play without fouling. But I still know how to play," he said. "It's physical here and that's my style of play. That will never change. I'm always going to be somebody that's just a pest to play against. I kind of take pride in the way I play, physical and a menace."

bob
MY NOTE:  If Danny's making calls to Isaiah Thomas and Kent Bazemore, I'd say the chances of Iverson making this team (especially with Fav coming back from knee surgery) are about as good as they get. Go get'em Colt! We need you.

Nice that they're already starting summer league practice.

Also, the article got formers and latters backwards.  Joel Anthony was the former without size and not the latter and Fav was the latter who is recovering from knee surgery and not the latter.  Formerly that would have been caught by editors, but in these latter days of digital going to press.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Colton Iverson Thinks He Has A Real Chance Of Making The Celtics Roster This Season Empty Re: Colton Iverson Thinks He Has A Real Chance Of Making The Celtics Roster This Season

Post by tjmakz Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Bob,

Thomas averaged over 20ppg last season.
Bazemore has an incredible upside if he stays healthy.
I think Bazemore could be a breakout player this season.

Iverson is hoping to be a 14th/15th player for the Celtics.
Hopefully for Boston he can make the team and his size benefits Boston.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Colton Iverson Thinks He Has A Real Chance Of Making The Celtics Roster This Season Empty Re: Colton Iverson Thinks He Has A Real Chance Of Making The Celtics Roster This Season

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:52 pm

tjmakz wrote:Bob,

TJ,

It's about needs.  I don't doubt that Thomas is a good player or that Bazemore could break out, we just don't need any more guards.

If Danny has a center lined up in his sights but, in order to land him, he has to trade one of our guards (maybe Rondo) then fine.  Otherwise, it's overkilling the overkill.

Center, on the other hand, is a bit thin.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:25 pm

I see Inverson as a Greg Kite type of backup center.  I'm good with that, especially since he prides himself (with justification) on his durability.  I like his toughness, but not just on defense.  I believe he could set some killer picks, which I'm just dying to see on this team.  I just wouldn't make the mistake of thinking of him as a front line center.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:48 pm

If he is serviceable, then it's a plus. But I agree with Sam, he shouldn't be the 1st line of defense.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:51 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Bob,

TJ,

It's about needs.  I don't doubt that Thomas is a good player or that Bazemore could break out, we just don't need any more guards.  

If Danny has a center lined up in his sights but, in order to land him, he has to trade one of our guards (maybe Rondo) then fine.  Otherwise, it's overkilling the overkill.

Center, on the other hand, is a bit thin.

bob

unless some that are here now are moved.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Bob, one thing we don't need is thin centers.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down