Remember Colton Iverson?: A mid-season update.

+2
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Remember Colton Iverson?: A mid-season update. Empty Remember Colton Iverson?: A mid-season update.

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:38 pm

YARD BARKER - FOX SPORTS

Turkish people like players who hustle and look like Eastern European villains.

The Celtics are having a season loaded with trades, yet Colton Iverson (53rd overall pick) was the one with whom the Celtics started the tank-a-thon operations. Well, maybe not. Anyways, CelticsLife was the first blog this summer to break the news of his overseas adventure in Turkey for Besiktas, so it only fits that we do a mid-season update on his performance and answer crucial questions such as "can he be the backup center of the Celtics in the future?" or "can we recall him to play with us now that we're most likely headed for the lottery and have open roster spots?"

Before we start, you should know something: Many leagues in the overseas used to have limits on the number of foreign (or for EU countries, non-EU) players a team can sign, and some still do. Turkey is one of them. In the 90s, a basketball team was only allowed to sign 2 non-Turkish players. Thanks to globalization that rule has been relaxed to a certain extent, yet a Turkish team can only sign 5 non-Turkish players and play only 3 of them at the same time in the domestic competition. Because of this rule (and because Besiktas has a Croatian-Turkish center), Iverson's time on the court has fluctuated greatly.

Now, let's get one thing straight: The Celtics can recall Iverson at the end of the season, but not during, sources have informed me (ah, finally I get to use that phrase!); and for the next two years he can only play for either Besiktas or the Celtics. Do the Celtics recall him in the off-season then? Probably not, and his stats will tell why.

To be fair to Iverson, on top of the "foreign player restriction" situation, he had to adapt to the European rules as well. There are a few nuances with respect to the rules, but the most significant difference is that European basketball is less tolerant towards physical play. So to clarify: when European players come to the NBA and struggle to adapt to NBA basketball, it is not because they're softies but mostly they aren't used to the way the officials call the game. Oh, and because a game lasts 40 minutes instead of 48, you get fouled out when you collect 5 fouls, so players are subconsciously more careful. Obviously, the opposite is true for American players who try to play European basketball; they get easy foul calls against them. To demonstrate, Iverson fouled out in his third domestic game, and he had 4 fouls in only 8 minutes in his fourth game. He has adapted to the European style eventually (he's only fouled out once since then, and that came in a double-double performance so it's forgiveable), but that's one thing to keep in mind as well.

So, ready for some numbers? Iverson's stats per 36-minutes are as follows so far in the Turkish league: 13.8 points (5.3 FGM, 11.8 FGA (44.8% shooting), 3.3 FTM, 5.9 FTA (55.1% from the line)), 11.5 rebounds (6 offensive, 5.5 defensive (no typo)), 1.4 assists, 1 steal, 2.3 turnovers, 0.7 blocked shots, 5.8 fouls. The highlight of Iverson's stats is rebounds, obviously. He's been great on the boards; in fact, he's the sixth best rebounder per minute in the league among players who has played in more than half of the games, and he had won the best rebounder award in a mini-tournament in the off-season. On the other hand, his free throw percentage could be higher, and he isn't the rim protector he could be given his size. His per-minute stats are slightly worse than the current back-up center the Celtics have in Vitor Faverani, and their competition is quite different.

On the other hand, Iverson's EuroCup stats (the international competition where there are no foreign player restrictions) are slightly better/worse given your perspective: 14.8 points (5.7 FGM, 9.8 FGA (58.5% shooting), 3.3 FTM, 7.3 FTA (45.9% from the line)), 9.7 rebounds (6.2 offensive, 3.5 defensive (again, no typo)), 1.4 assists, 1 steal, 3.7 turnovers, 1.1 blocked shots, 4.5 fouls. To summarize, he's much more efficient offensively, he's still a beast on the offensive boards, he fouls his opponents less and his block rate is doubled, yet he's turning the ball over at a much higher rate, he's even worse from the free throw line and he's not quite there for the defensive boards.

Iverson's experience overseas has been an OK to good one for him, yet for him to become a viable backup for the Celtics and pass Faverani in the rotation next year, he has to shine more. One thing that haunts him is his inconsistent performance (he has recently followed up on an 8 points & 10 rebounds in 11 minutes performance with an 8 points and 5 rebounds in 32 minutes one, for example), yet he's still an important part of a team that is exceeding the expectations in the European competition and doing OK in one of the strongest leagues in Europe. If he continues to work hard and concentrate, he will come back to the Celtics as a more experienced player and a young & more polished Shavlik Randolph at the very least.

Back to top Go down

Remember Colton Iverson?: A mid-season update. Empty Re: Remember Colton Iverson?: A mid-season update.

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:52 pm

In his last game he played 11 minutes and had 5 rebounds, 2 of them offensive.

He's 7'0", 260# and hard as iron.  He's not a rim protector, like Asik is, say, but he is a physical intimidator like Perk was.

Unfortunately, by the time Besiktas' schedule is over it's May.  We will definitely be done by May this year.

Still, his bruising game is guaranteed to make Cowens' heart go pitter-pat.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Remember Colton Iverson?: A mid-season update. Empty Re: Remember Colton Iverson?: A mid-season update.

Post by Sam Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:55 am

A couple of questions:

What's with his playing only 11 minutes in two apparently different recent games that were cited?

What, if anything, has to happen legally for him to join the Celtics at training camp?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:50 am

Besides the league being one of the better in europe basketball wise it takes character to be a pro in any sports in turkey. The fans are crazy as in bat shit crazy (for better and worse when it comes to support/hate) so playing there will strengthen your mind for sure. I would imagine every euro league match and probably most of the regular season games too being louder and more heated than the nba finals crowd wise.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:02 am

sam wrote:A couple of questions:

What's with his playing only 11 minutes in two apparently different recent games that were cited?

What, if anything, has to happen legally for him to join the Celtics at training camp?

Sam

sam,

These two paragraphs from 112288's post should answer your questions:

Before we start, you should know something: Many leagues in the overseas used to have limits on the number of foreign (or for EU countries, non-EU) players a team can sign, and some still do. Turkey is one of them. In the 90s, a basketball team was only allowed to sign 2 non-Turkish players. Thanks to globalization that rule has been relaxed to a certain extent, yet a Turkish team can only sign 5 non-Turkish players and play only 3 of them at the same time in the domestic competition. Because of this rule (and because Besiktas has a Croatian-Turkish center), Iverson's time on the court has fluctuated greatly.

Now, let's get one thing straight: The Celtics can recall Iverson at the end of the season, but not during, sources have informed me (ah, finally I get to use that phrase!); and for the next two years he can only play for either Besiktas or the Celtics. Do the Celtics recall him in the off-season then? Probably not, and his stats will tell why.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:41 pm

I read that, Bob, but it doesn't answer my question.  Why would he play 32 (80%) of the minutes in one game and 11 minutes (28% of the minutes) in two other games?  Were the 32 minutes an aberration?  Did he at least twice foul out of the games in 11 minutes?  Was the transition to European basketball somehow easier in the 32-minute game than in the two 11-minute games?

It just doesn't make sense to me.  And, if it doesn't make sense, there's usually a reason.

So, based on your last sentence, I gather that you don't think he's material for the Celtics in the coming season.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:25 pm

sam wrote:I read that, Bob, but it doesn't answer my question.  Why would he play 32 (80%) of the minutes in one game and 11 minutes (28% of the minutes) in two other games.  Were the 32 minutes an aberration?  Did he at least twice foul out of the games in 11 minutes?  Was the transition to European basketball somehow easier in the 32-minute game than in the two 11-minute games?

It just doesn't make sense to me.  And, if it doesn't make sense, there's usually a reason.

So, based o your last sentence, I gather that you don't think he's material for the Celtics in the coming season.

Sam

sam,

Those weren't my thoughts, those were cut-and-pasted from the article. I don't know how he'd do in the NBA, I think we've seen that summer league means nothing (see Olynyk, Kelly) although I have NO problem whatsoever with a 7'0", 260# green juggernaut that likes to lay people out with picks, especially looking at what we have.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:48 pm

Well there's certainly nothing wrong with giving him a try. If he could become a Greg Kite type of backup, that wouldn't be the worst thing.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:29 pm

2/12/14

Director of Player Personnel for the Boston Celtics Austin Ainge is in Istanbul to watch the Eurocup Last 32 game between Besiktas and Lietuvos Rytas. Austin Ainge is in Turkey to watch Celtics draft pick Colton Iverson, a Turkish source told Sportando. Iverson is averaging 6.9ppg and 5.9rpg in TBL and 8.9ppg and 5.8rpg in Eurocup. Sportando

Iverson's boxscore: 2/12 vs Lietuvos Rytas Vilnius (that's the other team, not a player)

18:44 minutes, 13 points on 5-10, 3/8 ftm (NOT a typo), 8 rebounds, 6 offensive (NOT a typo either), 3 steals, 4 TOs, 4 fouls committed, 7 fouls received

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:20 pm

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/02/23/celtics-keep-close-tabs-draft-pick-colton-iverson-performance-turkey/zxCdxMZ0hMZEinb5aJXJ5H/story.html

Colton Iverson gets chance to shine in Turkey

By Baxter Holmes |  GLOBE STAFF     FEBRUARY 23, 2014

SACRAMENTO — Celtics director of player personnel Austin Ainge trots around the globe as part of his international scouting duties, and he swung by Istanbul earlier this month to check in on Colton Iverson, whom the Celtics acquired in the second round of the 2013 draft.

The 7-foot Iverson is playing with Besiktas of the Turkish League, and in 18 games, he’s averaging 6.5 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 0.7 assists over 17.3 minutes per game.

Iverson, who is playing overseas because the Celtics didn’t have enough room on their roster to keep him after the draft, proved to be one of Boston’s most physical players and a fan favorite during the Orlando Summer League in 2013. He has maintained that aggression overseas.

“Colton is a physical, hard-nosed, rebounder/defender,” Ainge said in a phone interview Saturday. “That’s his game and that’s what we love about him. He instigates physical play. No one likes to play against Colton. He sets a mean screen. He’s a really nice kid, but he walks by you and he hurts you — that’s how strong he is.”

The Celtics have been keeping tabs on the former Colorado State standout from afar, and Ainge said that Iverson has improved during his time with Besitkas, which has Iverson under a one-year contract while the Celtics own his rights.

“He’s not a super-skilled player, but he does have a nice jump hook and I think he’s gotten better at not fouling,” Ainge said. “Guarding without fouling is a problem for a guy that strong, and he’s gotten better at that through the year.”

Iverson said last fall when he first arrived overseas that the way games were officiated there was quite different than what he was used to in America.

“You have to change your game, change your style of play,” Iverson said. “You can’t really play the way you play in America, physically, offensively, and defensively.”

Ainge added, “I think he’s getting a little better at reading double teams as well. Over there, he’s so strong, teams have trouble keeping him from the rim, so they often send a second guy. He’s learning how to deal with passing out of [double teams].”

It’s unknown what the future will hold for Iverson, especially as the Celtics expect to reshape their roster over the summer. It’s likely that he’ll join the team for summer league, but beyond that, there is no clear answer.

However, Ainge pointed out that the Celtics did buy a second-round draft pick to acquire Iverson.

“He’s a guy that we liked enough to do that, so that should give you an indication of how we feel about him,” Ainge said.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:32 pm

"Sets a mean screen."  That's enough for me.  I think that's one of the biggest deficiencies on this team this season.  Bring him to the summer league.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Maybe he is the reason that Danny Ainge didn't trade for a center this season.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:47 pm

sam wrote:"Sets a mean screen."  That's enough for me.  I think that's one of the biggest deficiencies on this team this season.  Bring him to the summer league.

Sam

sam,

A 7'er who is so strong he will hurt you just by walking past you? Cowens will think he died and went to heaven.

For that matter, maybe so will I. I don't know how the refs will like it, but I'd love to see Iverson lay out that thug DWade. Send him back to Turkey after that, if you have to, but I'd like to see Wade on his back counting sheep just once.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:20 pm

bob you/we have to see the kid play and not just in summer league, if hes Eric Montross or Greg Kite, well thats not enough game....so lets see, maybe we can get lucky and get Embiid or make a trade for Gobert. Maybe Iverson will surprise us, maybe he is or can become the real deal? I don't think hes a shot blocker....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:33 pm

LIKE IVERSON A LOT...A TOUGH SOB!

DON'T BE SURPRISED THAT PP DOES NOT COME BACK IN THE SUMMER TO GET THIS TEAM AND THE NEW KIDS FOCUSED ON DEVELOPING A WINNING ATTITUDE.  WE GOT WHAT WE WANTED OUT OF BROOKLYN....NOW IT WOULD BE TIME TO BRING THE TRUTH HOME!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 am

Interesting thought, 112288.

On one hand, although he'll always be a Celtic, he's now made the break and moved on and might not be interested in being on the Celtics but with a new coach, a lot of kids to deal with, and diminished playing time. (Which wouldn't prevent him from signing a one-day contract later.)

On the other hand, he might relish the challenge of helping to teach the kids what being a Celtics and how to develop a winning culture. It might even transition into a coaching job with the Celtics.

Notice that I haven't mentioned money. At this stage in his career, I doubt money would be among his leading criteria in deciding where to go. As long as it's not Miami, I'd be prepared to wish him well wherever he winds up

It should be an extremely interesting summer one way or the other. I'd be willing to bet (and hope) this forum will have more posts this summer than in any past summer.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:49 am

ASAM,

AMEN!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:58 am

112288 wrote:LIKE IVERSON A LOT...A TOUGH SOB!

DON'T BE SURPRISED THAT PP DOES NOT COME BACK IN THE SUMMER TO GET THIS TEAM AND THE NEW KIDS FOCUSED ON DEVELOPING A WINNING ATTITUDE.  WE GOT WHAT WE WANTED OUT OF BROOKLYN....NOW IT WOULD BE TIME TO BRING THE TRUTH HOME!

good thought, can ganas be taught? if any player played above their talent level, and cherished big moments, its Pierce.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:23 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
112288 wrote:LIKE IVERSON A LOT...A TOUGH SOB!

good thought, can ganas be taught? if any player played above their talent level, and cherished big moments, its Pierce.

Personally, I say "no". Either tu tienes ganas or you don't. Telling someone they need to sacrifice more or they need to want something more or they need more "fire in the belly" generally has a limited effect, both impactfully and temporally. It has to come from within.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:37 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob you/we have to see the kid play and not just in summer league, if hes Eric Montross or Greg Kite, well thats not enough game....so lets see, maybe we can get lucky and get Embiid or make a trade for Gobert. Maybe Iverson will surprise us, maybe he is or can become the real deal? I don't think hes a shot blocker....

Cow,

At this point I'd take Eric Montross or Kite, we are just too soft at that position.

I don't think he's a shot blocker, based upon what I've read. What he is, is Perk. Perk's not a shot blocker either, nor is he particularly skilled but he denies position in the low blocks to players and is not afraid to get physical. He doesn't shy away from contact, will not let you bounce him back, will not back down. That is Colton Iverson. In fact, if you long to see DWade lying on his back, trying to remember what he was doing before he got hit by that runaway truck, I think Iverson might be that truck. He'll have the same adjustments to speed that Kelly is going through but he won't have to struggle with the physicality like Kelly is (the comparisons to Kelly should end there). I'll bet that playing here, after a year in Turkey will make him feel like he's been unchained. The refs don't let them bang in Europe like they do here. according to Iverson.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:34 pm

I don't know what triggered this "Colton Iverson Day" in the press, but here's some more.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-celtics-draft-pick-colton-iverson-progressing-overseas/

At 19-38 the Boston Celtics are enduring one of their worst seasons ever. For a franchise that has a league leading 17 championships and a .591 regular season win percentage all-time, a down year like this is nothing to be overly concerned about.

The Celtics knew when they sent Kevin Garnett and Paul Piece to Brooklyn and traded head coach Doc Rivers to the Los Angeles Clippers for a first-round pick that they were going to take a couple of steps back this season. Every franchise has to do it at some point. The Celtics were fortunate to squeeze an extra season or two with Garnett and Pierce as their center pieces, but like all good things, it had to come to an end at some point and this summer was that time.

The departures of Garnett, Pierce and Rivers have been compounded by Rajon Rondo’s absence for all but 12 games so far this year.

This is a development year, and for this franchise they are few and far between. They should benefit from this one for many years to come, though. Brad Stevens is getting to learn the NBA head coaching ropes without any pressure. Jeff Green, Avery Bradley and Jared Sullinger are having strong seasons with expanded roles. They’re going to have a high draft pick in one of the most highly-regarded draft classes in recent memory. And, most importantly, Rondo is healthy and on the road back to being one of the more productive point guards in the league.

Although their second round pick Colton Iverson, who they acquired in a draft night trade, is not with the team this season, he’s another piece of the Celtics’ future that is developing to be a difference maker in coming years, only overseas in Turkey. Iverson is playing with Besiktas CT and averaging 8.6 points and 6.6 rebounds in 21.6 minutes a game.

The Celtics have kept a close eye on Iverson and have stayed in frequent contact with him, making the cross country journey recently to watch him in person.

“It’s great to know that they’re still supporting me, watching me evaluating me, helping me think about ways that I can better,” Iverson said to Basketball Insiders. “I know they’re really invested in me right now; I am going to try and put in the hard work and do everything I can to be ready, when they are ready for me be to be ready for them. I am going to keep working every day. Knowing that they have my back and are supporting me right now is a great motivation and I’ll keep working harder than ever before.

“It’s a special feeling knowing that such a prestigious organization is really counting on you to get better and work hard and do the things for them that they need. I am trying to live up to the expectations right now even though I am not technically part of the team; I am just trying to get better. If and when they do need me, to be ready to produce and help the team win any way possible. I know it is such a big time organization, they have legends that have played there and so many championships, it really is a high expectation that you have to be ready for and ready to live up to.”

Iverson exploded onto the draft scene during his final year of eligibility at Colorado State, where he transferred to for his senior year after three years of being a role player at Minnesota. He went from being completely off the radar to a draft pick by putting up 14.2 points and 9.8 rebounds a game. With all the makings of a blue collar big man in the same mold of Kendrick Perkins, who helped the Celtics win a championship in 2008, Iverson was given a small list of things to add to his game this year in Turkey.

“My offensive game definitely needed improvement for the next level,” Iverson said “Having the post moves to go against pros so I’ve been working on that this year, stepping out being able to knock down 10-15 foot jump shots, working on pick-and-roll defense, which is going to be huge in the NBA because 75 percent of the offense in the NBA is pick-and-roll. Being able to guard that will really benefit me and just continue rebounding, which is what I’ve always been good at, if I can continue rebounding at a high level that will really transition well into the NBA.”

As Iverson states, pick-and-roll defense will be key for him at the next level. Fortunately, the style of play and defensive schemes in the Turkish league give Iverson the chance to work on it every game.

“It was a little bit different for at first because Summer League we relied on the guards to fight through screens and you basically were just like a second source,” Iverson said. “Right here it’s all on the big man to contain penetration, stop the guard completely, then allow for recovery and get back and guard your man in time. You have to be able to that and it happens really fast. It’s a little bit different over here because there is no defensive three seconds so it’s a little bit more crowded in the paint, I guess that helps you a little bit. It’s definitely on the big man to contain penetration on any pick-and-rolls.”

He’s also been forced to step away from his comfort zone inside the paint offensively and work on becoming more versatile like the Celtics’ desire.

“There is definitely not as much back to the basket game here, there is a lot more setting screens, being at the high post, the short corner,” Iverson said. “It’s a little bit different for me, it’s a bit of an adjustment. I think it’s going to benefit me in the long run because I am expanding my game and I’m learning to have the ball in different situations and scenarios. Even though it is different for I think I am benefiting from it and the experience of it.”

Iverson’s contract expires at the end of the season, after which he plans to come back to the states and train at Impact Basketball in Las Vegas, Nevada as he did in preparation for the NBA Draft until he can join the Celtics’ summer league team.

Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge recently hinted that the team could swing big to make some improvements this season. Last time the Celtics were this bad was the 2006-07 season where they went 24-58. The next season they went 66-16, a record for the biggest turnaround in a single season in league history. If anyone knows how to rebuild in a hurry, it’s him. As an affordable, defensive-minded center who is still improving, Iverson could easily fit into his big plans.

bob
MY NOTE:  I bolded some stuff I liked. He's improving his pick-and-roll defense?  That, right there, puts him head-and-shoulders above Fab Melo and maybe ahead of Vitor. Offensively, of course, Vitor is far, far ahead of Iverson.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:14 pm

It's great that he's honing his pick-and-roll skills (at both ends of the floor), but defense—especially defense at the rim—may very well be the pivotal factor in how valuable Cotton can make himself to the Celtics. He comes along at just the right time. As soon as we've begun to take Kelly Olynyk for granted like we do with Sully, we can watch Cotton grow.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down