Report: Celtics offered Brandon Bass to Warriors for their TPE

4 posters

Go down

Report: Celtics offered Brandon Bass to Warriors for their TPE Empty Report: Celtics offered Brandon Bass to Warriors for their TPE

Post by 112288 Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:22 pm

SB NATION

By Jeff Clark  @celticsblog on Jul 11 2014, 8:51p 46

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

Well, that's interesting.

 TWEET
We've known for a while now that Brandon Bass doesn't exactly fit into the Celtics long term plans.  Now word comes that the Celtics were apparently willing to give him away for nothing.

The Decision 2.0: OK, What’s Next? "

Yeah, James held up NBA business for 11 days while he decided his future. Teams were angry. Some had assets that evaporated during the wait, including the Warriors, who considered Brandon Bass and other names in exchange for a trade exception that expired yesterday at midnight.
There's no mention of other assets exchanging hands so it is possible that draft considerations would have been exchanged as well.  However, it might have been worth it to Boston just to move Bass to get out of the last year of his contract.

Consider the financials behind making a move with the Keith Bogans unguaranteed (immediately waivable) contract.  If you coupled that with the rest of the other non-guaranteed guys (Babb, Johnson, Pressey) you could in theory bring back a player making $7M.  The problem with all of that is that the Celtics are already over the cap and right up against the tax line.  Unless they are bringing in Kevin Love, I don't think the management would be willing to pay it.  Nor should they, considering all the negative penalties the tax brings with it (restrictions on free agent signings, etc.).

Of course all of this is fluid.  Trading Bass might have been a contingency plan of a contingency plan that we know nothing about.  I'm sure Ainge has a lot of balls in the air right now.

Also, there's a good chance that Brandon Bass (and Jeff Green for that matter) could still be traded this offseason.  The Kings just created a $7M trade exception with their Thomas sign-and-trade.  Other teams have cap room and can use it to absorb contracts.  I wouldn't put it past the Cavs to look for some solid veteran big man help to put around LeBron James.

The bottom line is that things are just getting started.  Bass may or may not be on borrowed time here.

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics offered Brandon Bass to Warriors for their TPE Empty Re: Report: Celtics offered Brandon Bass to Warriors for their TPE

Post by kdp59 Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:44 am

most of us would not be surprised that Bass is moved this off-season.

I would note the article pointed out that we are now up against ( I said over) the luxury line with the current roster as it stands now.

Bogans of course will be gone and probably Babb and Johnson. so that's the $7M the article is talking about.

so Ainge can still add as much as $5M in new salaries, either through the Mid level exception FA signing or through trades.

so AT LEAST one more move can be anticipated in this off-season.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics offered Brandon Bass to Warriors for their TPE Empty Re: Report: Celtics offered Brandon Bass to Warriors for their TPE

Post by Outside Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:21 am

Somebody will be lucky to have him.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Bass is Mr. Steady Eddie as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe he possesses the extra dimension that would allow him to switch to a higher dimension in the manner often required to compete for a championship. But he's a good soldier, plays better defense than is often acknowledged, is pretty reliable with that mid-range jumper, and has worked hard to develop a move to the hoop. If he is traded, I shall miss him, and I can only hope he'll be part of a deal that can bring a player of significance to Boston.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down