So how does this Adam Silver idea strike everyone?

+5
beat
rickdavisakaspike
k_j_88
bobheckler
Sam
9 posters

Go down

So how does this Adam Silver idea strike everyone? Empty So how does this Adam Silver idea strike everyone?

Post by Sam Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:40 pm

Seems Adam Silver's always think of new wrinkles for the NBA.  Now he's considering some sort of mid-season tournament to be held in Las Vegas, with the ultimate objective being to tap into the Gold Rush known as Vegas.

Details haven't even reached the sketchy stage yet, but indications are that the idea will be disguised (I mean positioned) as adding a way NBA teams can win other than that crummy old NBA Championship.  Other news tidbits concern the replay system.

This post is not a commentary on any of the following information.  Members are invited to provide that.

Sam

Mid-season NBA Tournament in Vegas? Adam Silver says he’ll consider it. Also talks replay system, more.
Kurt Helin Jul 16, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
19 Comments
Adam Silver
While in a gym on one side of LAS VEGASSo how does this Adam Silver idea strike everyone? 0clip_image004 hundreds of young men with an NBA dream try to prove they are worthy, across town the rich guys in suits — the owners — are sitting down to figure out how to make the league more profitable.

Would a mid-season NBA Tournament do that?

The long NBA season is a grind and speaking to the media in Las VEGASSo how does this Adam Silver idea strike everyone? 0clip_image006 Tuesday NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said the owners were floating the idea around of a mid-season tournament in Las Vegas. From Steve Aschburner of NBA.com.

The popularity of the summer league in LAS VEGASSo how does this Adam Silver idea strike everyone? 0clip_image008 – with attendance up 25 percent, Silver said – has the league open to ideas for a greater role in the nation’s gambling capital. One possibility, mentioned without details as a brainstorm from the competition committee: A midseason tournament of some sort.

The NBA season is already 82 games leading into a two-month playoff format, so an FA Cup style tournament only works if you reduce the number of regular season games, essentially taking a mid-season break to play it. You may say “that’s a good idea” but good luck convincing owners to give up local-revenue — fewer home games lowers season ticket revenue, in-arena sponsor revenue, money generated from parking and concessions, and so on — for some centralized tournament. It’s not really feasible.

But this is another sign that, unlike David Stern at times, Silver is the kind of leader open to ideas and discussing just about anything.

Other things Silver mentioned out of the owner and COMPETITIONSo how does this Adam Silver idea strike everyone? 0clip_image010 committee meetings in Vegas:

• The NBA will test out a centralized replay system starting with WNBA games in September. However, this will work a little differently than the NHL system where the guys in the league office make the calls (on if it’s a goal or not, for example) and relay the decision to the on-ice officials. In the NBA version the league office will have in-office officials cull the replays so when the on-the-court officials walk over and flip the monitor around to look at it the league can, in theory, quickly give them the best angles to make a decision. Ben Golliver of Sports Illustrated had the direct quotes:

“Now, as you know,” Silver said in February, “the game stops, the referees walk courtside, turn the monitor around, talk to the truck, order up the replays. And I think that it’s our belief if we can get it right, that if have you officials, in essence, located at headquarters, at a central site, that that process can begin immediately, they then can communicate with the officials and that will SAVESo how does this Adam Silver idea strike everyone? 0clip_image012 time.”

We’ll see if that really speeds things up, or leads to the right calls. My guess is Doc Rivers has his doubts. So do I.

• Silver said he was “moved” by LeBron James’ decision to return to Cleveland. Again Golliver of Sports Illustrated with the quotes:

“When I read his first-person account on Sports Illustrated, I really was moved by it. It says a lot about who he is, who he has BECOMESo how does this Adam Silver idea strike everyone? 0clip_image014 over the last four years. His statement about northeast Ohio, about hard work [and] this being about something larger than basketball and the NBA.”

“Maybe I would have had a different feeling if he was just shopping his services to wherever he thought he could have the greatest chance of winning a championship,” Silver said. “Not that that wouldn’t have been his right. But I thought that [his choice] to go back to northeast Ohio was an exciting moment for him personally.”

• Silver said he thought the new CBA, with its emphasis on shorter contracts, has made free agency far more interesting.

• He said negotiations on a new national television deal are ongoing with the league’s existing partners (Disney/ABC/ESPN and Time Warner/TNT). He hinted another partner could be added to the mix.

• A group of minority owners for the Milwaukee Bucks was approved. No, Aaron Rodgers was not one of them, despite the rumor.
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

So how does this Adam Silver idea strike everyone? Empty Re: So how does this Adam Silver idea strike everyone?

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:24 am

There already is a mid-season tournament game.  It's called the All-Star Game.

If Red was alive here's what he'd say "Listen, Dummy.  If the idea is to make more money then making the players play more minutes in the first half of the season it will make it that much harder for them to play quality minutes in the playoffs and the playoffs are when the ratings are highest and advertisers are willing to pay the most".

Pop won't care since he'd sit his entire starting team and everybody else over 30 anyway.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

So how does this Adam Silver idea strike everyone? Empty Re: So how does this Adam Silver idea strike everyone?

Post by k_j_88 Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:44 am

Dumb idea.

Injuries and fatigue are that much easier to occur with added minutes.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:52 pm

What about a tournament of rookies and second year players? Biggest problem is that the Finals are closing in on the Fourth of July as it is.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Heard too that he was going to review the Lottery System. Still no really good idea is out there, there is the wheel and that is interesting but I am sort of leaning to the way the lottery was years ago. All non playoff teams have an equal shot at the top pick.

On the lottery night put all the non-playoff teams 1 Ping pong ball in the hopper and pick them out sort of like many state lottery numbers game. No reason this could not be done LIVE. Certainly there would be no benefit to "tanking".

First ball out gets the 16th pick or whatever, next ball gets 15th and so on. Last ball out is the First pick.

Perhaps a team might get a run of higher picks but, I think I like this better than rewarding complete failure with high picks year after year after year.

As for a tournament...................don't like the idea for now. Haven't we had to deal with this "sort of" during Olympic years.?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Adam has a very attractive wife. Methinks he's getting schtupid with the Tournament idea.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:29 pm

BAD IDEA!

ADAM......YOU ARE BEGINNING TO WATER DOWN AND CHEAPEN THE PRODUCT AND THE NBA CHAMPIONSHIP  WITH THIS BRAINLESS THOUGHT OF ANOTHER TOURNAMENT ................YOU HAVE THE SUMMER OLYMPICS FOR ANOTHER TOURNAMENT ...............OH I SEE.............YOU CANNOT GET YOUR HANDS ON THE REVENUE GENERATED................

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:05 pm

What a great idea. A midseason allstar game where all teams participate. Who needs the playoffs...playoffs?

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:04 am

Seems that the feeling is totally negative.  I agree.  Just another money-making ischeme, very possibly at the expense of the players, the owners, and the fans.  I hope this idea will fade away.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:07 am

It's good to think outside the box, but... no.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down