bobheckler
beat
steve3344
RosalieTCeltics
mrkleen09
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Paul George Suffers Leg Injury in Team USA Showcase Empty Paul George Suffers Leg Injury in Team USA Showcase

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:59 am

Was just watching Team USA Blue vs White game and Paul George suffered an absolutely gruesome leg injury.

Easily a season ender and from a distance, possibly a career changer.  Very sad for this to happen in a "scrimmage"

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/11298573/paul-george-suffers-apparent-serious-leg-injury-team-usa-showcase-game

FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO SEE...BEWARE IT IS HORRIFIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi2R0IlCXlA
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Paul George Suffers Leg Injury in Team USA Showcase Empty Re: Paul George Suffers Leg Injury in Team USA Showcase

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:20 am

It looks really bad for George. This is going to become a major issue. NBA teams are going to try to put something in their contract about guys playing in summer games. The team is really shook up.

What a shame.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Paul George Suffers Leg Injury in Team USA Showcase Empty Re: Paul George Suffers Leg Injury in Team USA Showcase

Post by steve3344 Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:22 am

Just an awful thing to happen to such a good guy and tremendous player. Praying for a full recovery for him, no matter how long it takes.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Marcus said he saw something on twitter, (I can't find it) that the base of the stanchion supporting the basket was 2 feet closer to the court than normal NBA arenas have.

If so I can see attorneys and law suits...........

I always thought that basketball on any level needs more space around the outside of the actual playing area. Fans sit too close, chairs are to close, photographers are to close (especially under the baskets. A minimum distance should be 5 feet anyway (perhaps more on the baselines.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:43 pm

found this.....

https://twitter.com/tdot82/status/495411967918481408

http://8points9seconds.com/2014/08/01/paul-george-injury-basket/#!btPcQm

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:25 pm

Trading Danny Granger, in particular, and letting Lance Stephenson go is starting to look like a bad idea, in retrospect.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:16 pm

Also, Would this make a deal with Indiana for Jeff Green more likely?  Who would we want in exchange?

The NBA trade machine says that Jeff Green for Luis Scola and Ian Mahinmi works.  For me to like this trade I'd have to see Indiana throw in a draft pick.  I'm a big, big fan of Argentinean Luis Scola (LOVE Argentinean players, in general!), but he just turned 34.  Mahinmi's offensive game is almost non-existent, but he's 6'11"-7'0" tall and has a 7'7" wingspan and makes his impact on the defensive end.  I think of him as a Steamer type of player.  Has the physical talents and some good instincts on the defensive shot-blocking/intimidating/changing end, but can't seem to crack the 20mpg+ glass ceiling.  

Another trade that works is Paul George for Jeff Green and Keith Bogans.  Larry gets a player that can help him win now, which is where the Pacers are, and he sheds about $6M in salary.  We can afford to wait a year for George to make his comeback because we are not in "win now" mode, it's a broken bone and not a tendon/ligament/joint injury he suffered and he's under longterm contract.  

I don't see Larry giving up Hibbert, so I'm not going to even try to run trade scenarios involving him.  It was Hibbert or Lance and Larry chose Hibbert.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:43 pm

For those who haven't actually seen it, it's pretty damn gruesome.  I mean, like Joe Theismann gruesome.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:16 pm

That was one of the toughest things to watch that I can remember.! Holy @*&&^%$

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:39 pm

bobheckler wrote:Trading Danny Granger, in particular, and letting Lance Stephenson go is starting to look like a bad idea, in retrospect.
Bob,

Have you seen Granger play recently? It's difficult to believe he was once an all-star. He's terrible. He's lost any semblance of ability or confidence or mojo or whatever the spark is that makes a guy play well. He couldn't make up for the loss of Paul George in any way, shape, or form.

As for Lance Stephenson, he was obviously productive on a team that didn't have a lot of producers, and they were already going to miss that. But if he is a locker room cancer and loose cannon, then they're better off without him, regardless of his production.

The guy who has to step is Roy Hibbert. How comfortable do you think Larry Bird is with that concept?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:50 pm

I remember when Delonte West broke his wrist. That was gruesome, but not so much as Paul George's was. I watched this one once earlier, and do not plan to ever watch it again.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:50 am

So, is there a trade for perhaps Jeff Green unfolding?

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:48 am

Perfect person to offer his thoughts:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/kevin-ware-offers-encouragement-for-paul-george-after-his-injury-170559966.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:42 pm

How about the college basketball kid that snapped his lower leg to 90 degrees in the NCAA tournament last year or the year before? Theismann had a lock first place for most gruesome for many years until that one came along I thought. Is George's worse that that because I just cringe thinking of the NCAA one and thought it could not get any more gruesome. I haven't seen George's yet.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:47 pm

OK. Just saw it. That's is indeed horrific. That is a huge, huge loss for IND and Larry. What is the deal?!!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:14 pm

No one mentions Shaun Livingston, his bone was protruding out of his leg. He worked his butt off to get back to playing basketball. Gruesome. 

I was watching this game when the accident happened. Harden looked like he was going to get sick, put a towel over his head.
He could very well have heard George's bone crack. This has
really shaken up the players on the team. Imagine if it was
Kevin Durant? He was so disturbed after this happened, as were the rest of them.  Something is going to give here, maybe not now, but sooner or later owners/gm's are going to have something to say about this. Cuban already has said he
is against his players playing in the summer.

It was terrible. I hope he is able to rehab and come back stronger than ever. As far as a move is concerned, I would not be surprised to see Bird sign someone for one year, he is not going to win with the team without George. Take the hit and see if they can get someone in the draft next year. 

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:51 am

There definitely should be more space.  And a good start would be for the league to fine Toronto $10 million a day for each day they continue to have those absolutely stark raving stupid triangular signs within one foot of the baselines.  Players actually push off on those signs when inbounding the ball.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:57 am

sam wrote:There definitely should be more space.  And a good start would be for the league to fine Toronto $10 million a day for each day they continue to have those absolutely stark raving stupid triangular signs within one foot of the baselines.  Players actually have to push off on those signs when inbounding the ball.

Sam

Obviously you're kidding. You raised this concern last year (I think seriously) when it was pointed out to you by someone that those were painted into the floor at an angle to look like they were actually potruding upward. When I saw them for the very first time I was taken aback for a few minutes until I saw someone inbounding the ball and standing right on top of something that gave the illusion of being several feet tall. It's pretty ingenious what the Raptors did with that paint job.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:08 am

Kind of like the chalk guy who does scenes that look 3-D?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:39 am

Here is another piece about things being too close to the court...... in it it says that the NBA minimum distance from the baseline to the base of the support is 4 feet. This was much closer.

Even along the sidelines fans, media, chairs are much too close. These guys are bigger faster, jump higher and further than those of 20-30 years ago, yet the room out of bounds is virtually non existent. World class indoor sprinters have 30-40 yards to slow up and a think padded wall at the end of that. we expect an NBA player at full speed to stop in 4 feet? Granted I know it's a little apples and grapes but 4 feet. Anyway here is the piece.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2014/08/02/paul-george-injury-how-one-expert-would-make-sure-it-never-happens-again/2/

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:03 am

Beat,

They measured it and it was 1" off regulation.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:12 am

It was just a matter of time that something like this would happen.  You have to admire the gamesmanship of George going after Harding....but for what.....a stupid USA summer basketball scrimmage?

George will never be the same regarding having explosive speed...once that is gone.........the rest of the game begins to fail.

Too bad...........he was going to be a great one.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:16 am

All due respect, but 2 days after a horrific injury - do we really need to already start talking about trades and how the injury may benefit the Celtics?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:56 am

112288 wrote:It was just a matter of time that something like this would happen.  You have to admire the gamesmanship of George going after Harding....but for what.....a stupid USA summer basketball scrimmage?

George will never be the same regarding having explosive speed...once that is gone.........the rest of the game begins to fail.

Too bad...........he was going to be a great one.

Doctors have said he will make a complete recovery and the good news is there was no damage to his knee or ankle, or to his nerves or soft tissue, unlike injuries to Shaun Livingston or Derek Rose. It's just a severe break of the tibia and fibula but they expect that to heal completely with George making a full return to playing in a year.

And as far as that stanchion being one inch (3'11") closer than the four foot minimum distance mandated by the NBA, it's been pointed out that in most arenas the stanchions are a foot or two farther away from the court than four feet and George naturally thought he had more room for a move he regularly makes without coming in contact with it. Someone should have pointed that out to all the players before any games were played in that arena so they were well aware of the closeness of that one. It's probably not something they paid much attention to in their preparation for that game.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:18 pm

112288 wrote:Beat,

They measured it and it was 1" off regulation.

where did you see this? Sure looks like a foot than an inch.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next