bobheckler
beat
steve3344
RosalieTCeltics
mrkleen09
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Paul George Suffers Leg Injury in Team USA Showcase - Page 2 Empty Re: Paul George Suffers Leg Injury in Team USA Showcase

Post by gyso Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:19 am

But rather than focus solely on the situation at UNLV's Thomas & Mack Center and whether or not someone was to blame for having the stanchion just three feet, 11 inches from the baseline, the dialogue should immediately expand to the NBA at large and whether or not their standards suffice. The NBA's minimum required distance between the baseline and the stanchion is four feet, though many arenas around the league leave much more space than that.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2014/08/02/paul-george-injury-team-usa-stanchion-too-close/13500883/

Caution: Bleacher report:

Tweet:
Ken Berger        ✔   @KBergCBS  
Follow
On Paul George: stanchions must be 4 feet from baseline in NBA games. Last night in Vegas about an inch shy of that standard, source says.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2149709-paul-georges-leg-injury-puts-focus-on-placement-of-hoop-stanchions

So, much closer than typical NBA setups, but within an inch of regulations.

I agree for the call to empty the baselines and sidelines of camera crew and other nonessential nonsense.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Paul George Suffers Leg Injury in Team USA Showcase - Page 2 Empty Re: Paul George Suffers Leg Injury in Team USA Showcase

Post by 112288 Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:05 am

The stanchion met minimum requirements regarding set back for basketball. Yes they are further back in the NBA.

The 1" I heard/saw it on ESPN while watching the Red Sox game and afterward on sports update.

What does full recovery mean............just walking and jogging or running full tilt in an NBA game.  Besides, do you think a doctor is going to tell his patient, nay he'll never going to be in top form again.  George would commit suicide on the spot...........the doctor has to give George hope. I hope for his sake as he is one of my more favorite players.

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:38 am

112288 & GYSO

Maybe it was an inch short of minimum. I was comparing the photos in the Indy Pacers arena to the the Mack center. The one in Indiana must be back a lot further than 4 feet, as the visual distance is much more than 1 inch.

That said even 4 feet is to damn close.

I've often wondered when on a sideline out of bounds play, especially late when teams advance the ball into the frontcourt on a time out. There is precious little room for the inbounding player to stand back 3 feet to make a pass and the defender is motioned to move back a step. If the sidelines were clear at least 4 feet back the offensive player would at least have room and the defender could go right up to the sideline, legally.

To eliminate a row or 2 of court side seats would cost some teams cash, so I doubt much will ever happen.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:50 pm

The Thomas and Mack center has been used for a long time for NBA games. The 2007 all-star game was held there. The Jazz and Lakers have played games there. I don't know if the court setup has changed over the years, but here's a picture from the 2007 all-star game where the position of the basket support looks the same as it was for the Paul George injury (you may have to expand the browser window to see the whole image).

Paul George Suffers Leg Injury in Team USA Showcase - Page 2 3313_nba2k12%20All-Star%202007

In high school, we played in gyms with a wall one foot past the baseline, and they put mats on the wall to supposedly cushion the impact of anyone running into it. The baseline is four feet past the backboard, and if the basket support is four feet past that, that's eight feet past the backboard. These guys are world-class athletes and are flying down the court, but considering long jumpers can jump 28 feet, does that mean that the basket support needs to be 20 feet back?

It's a shame this happened, but I'm finding it hard to blame the court. Sometimes things just happen.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:29 pm

The above photo isn't even a real photo, looks like it is off a playstation NBA game. Look at the fans and the players.

And why would they have ORLANDO 2012 written on the ads on the sideline if the event took place in 2007?

I don't think anyone is saying move it 20 feet back but a good 5-6 feet of clear space past the baseline would be a good start.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Outside wrote:It's a shame this happened, but I'm finding it hard to blame the court. Sometimes things just happen.

Outside,

I think you've got it right.

Since the US brought the pros into this back in '92 the safety record has been remarkably good. It's a very unfortunate incident and sad for George and The Pacers, but these things happen. Reports say that George should make a full recovery just as Kevin Ware did; I certainly hope so. As emotionally and visibly disturbing as an injury like this may be, if he follows the training program he gets, he should be able to come back with less after-effects than with something like an ACL tear.

I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery and returns to form next season.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:01 pm

Beat, I think you're right. Well, THAT didn't go like I planned.

I agree six feet is better than four, but what if someone did the same thing on a support six feet back from the baseline?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:58 pm

NYCelt wrote:
Outside wrote:It's a shame this happened, but I'm finding it hard to blame the court. Sometimes things just happen.

Outside,

I think you've got it right.

Since the US brought the pros into this back in '92 the safety record has been remarkably good.  It's a very unfortunate incident and sad for George and The Pacers, but these things happen.  Reports say that George should make a full recovery just as Kevin Ware did; I certainly hope so.  As emotionally and visibly disturbing as an injury like this may be, if he follows the training program he gets, he should be able to come back with less after-effects than with something like an ACL tear.

I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery and returns to form next season.

Regards

NYCelt

I totally blame the court for this one. Yeah accidents happen but if this support was back to what the Indiana Court is and MOST other NBA courts it would not have happened. He caught it quite low on the support and given the angle he was coming down he would most likely have landed on the flat court...........that said remembering what happened to the Louisville player when he did nothing more than land on the court too.

Perhaps he would have landed awkwardly here too and done something but we do know in this case if the support was back a foot further the accident could not have happened the way it did.

So I have to disagree with you on this one.

Many injuries happen and they cannot be prevented, when floors are wet from the ice underneath the refs routinely stop play, same with the occasional leak from the roof. There are things that can be controlled and in the NBA they certainly can control the distance of the support from the court.

And It would not surprise me one bit that some sort of a lawsuit gets filed. Lord knows there are ambulance chasing attorneys out there, especially if George is unable to return close to his pre-injury form.

I do hope he gets back to playing by the 2015 season.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Brian Hartline, a wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins, was interviewed on ESPN's Mike and Mike show this morning and he says had the exact same injury in high school that Paul George has.  A complete fibula and tibia break with a temporary rod put in.   He said it happened to him when he was in high school one year in September and by the next Spring he was winning state hurdling championships.  He was given the choice of leaving the rod in or having it taken out, and since his doctors suggested taking it out, saying there would be no further risk of breakage in that spot once healed, he had it removed.  It's amazing that he healed completely in little more than six months and he says it's now as strong (or stronger) than ever, with no ill effects.  He's had two 1,000 yard receiving seasons his last two years.

It would be difficult to fathom, but IF Paul George heals like Brian Hartline did, he might even be back for the playoffs (nine months from now).  Kevin Ware, who also had the same injury last year says he was playing pick-up basketball games eight months later.

Encouraging examples for a very special player.

Last edited by steve3344 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:55 pm

Steve,

Here's hoping George has the same good luck.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2