cowens/oldschool
8 posters

Go down

CELTICS AFTER NAT ROBINSON Empty CELTICS AFTER NAT ROBINSON

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:25 am

Celtics Extend Offer for Robinson?

C’s Have Made Offer for Nate Robinson
By Brian Robb, CelticsHub.com @ January 19th, 3:40 pm Leave a reply »
The trade rumors swirling around Nate Robinson had appeared to calm down in recent weeks, but Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports has reported today during an interview with Tanguay and Zolak on 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston, that he has knowledge that the C’s have made an offer to the Knicks for the ever controversial guard Nate Robinson.

Speculation has been in place since the end of last December that the Knicks were looking to trade the disgruntled guard. After being benched for a month, Robinson has been worked back into the rotation in New York though, returning with a bang after a 42 point effort in Atlanta on New Year’s Day. The Knicks have continued to play fairly well since Robinson’s return to the lineup going 5-4 over that time span, while remaining just 2 games out of the 8 spot in the Eastern Conference.

With Mike D’Antoni pining to win now, and Robinson’s offensive contributions off the bench continuing to be a positive for an improved Knicks team, (16 points, 3 boards and 3 assists a game with 50 percent shooting during the past month) it’s evident that New York will no longer be willing to just give Robinson away unless they are able to send Jared Jeffries over with him.

With Robinson’s stock on the rise, the question is just how much the C’s would be willing to give up for him. CH’s Zach Lowe thoroughly analyzed a potential Robinson acquisition last month for the C’s. I strongly encourage you to check that out.

Spears did not specify when an offer was made, or what the exact offer was, but I think it is big news that the C’s have kicked the tires on a move. Given the team’s recent injury problems and lack of consistent scoring off the bench, instant offense in this backcourt is a need right now for the C’s.

Spears did seem to institute that a 1st round draft pick was….or will have to be part of any offer for Robinson from the C’s to make any kind of move worth the Knicks while. My question for Celtics fans is would you be willing to deal that pick for Robinson, along with an potentially useful expiring contract (TA, Eddie, etc.) for Robinson.

Given the team’s dire cap situation next year, I’m not sure I would as low cost youngsters are going to be needed on this squad. We’ve seen Doc use these kind of guys (Big Baby, Leon Powe) and not (Giddens, Walker) recently so it’s an interesting conundrum to dissect. Do they go for it all this year and trade that pick for Robinson or someone else? Or do they keep it in hopes of bringing in a cheap key contributor next year?

And while I am not in favor of this kind of deal, I am happy to see Danny is looking into making some moves. This team needs a jumpstart right now, and while we haven’t seen a fully healthy squad yet, counting on having one once KG and Marquis returns does not appear to be a situation Danny Ainge can or should count on.

Back to top Go down

CELTICS AFTER NAT ROBINSON Empty Re: CELTICS AFTER NAT ROBINSON

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:15 am

Very interesting,Little Nate as a backup point could definitely help,he can do alot of the things House does and hes younger,more athletic and could do them better.....looking at nbadraft.net,this looks like a really weak draft to me.I would give up a Giddens and a first round pick for him.I really hope we can still keep Walker.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:57 am

Agree he would spark the bench a bit. Sort of a shoot first type guard but if he is on he'll light it up.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:24 pm

Please God, no.

We don't need a 5'9" prima donna me-baller. We need a point guard, or maybe more depth at 3, but not Nate.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:58 pm

I agree with Cow, we need a backup PG, and while Nate wouldn't be a good option as a starting PG, he does OK as a backup. We need energy and scoring off the bench which are things that Nate could provide. He's statistically better than House in all categories except FT %. I'm not really crazy about his attitude and antics, but I do think we could use his talents.

I do have to say that if it's between Walker or Giddens I would prefer to keep Giddens at this point. It may just be that I've seen JR play more, but he seems to be the better defender of the two, and actually beat Walker in the C's in-house dunk contest so the athleticism is at least comparable.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:10 pm

doode scored 40 points the other night. We need a guy who can get his own shot.

I'd say i depends on what we have to give up. But I would seriously consider it...if he winds up being a head case bench his narrow ass. But I'd have to see what we have to give up.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:37 pm

Id rather get earl boykins than nate if we wanna go small Very Happy

Dunno about Nate. He is at 4m for this season, for the same money I think better player/better fit could be done. Steve Blake is at the same price (with reservation for not knowing exactly how all the tradestuff works and who is available, just saw steve blake listed in the 2010 available thread.)
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:45 pm

swede

Maybe I am a homer but I trust mr ainge pretty good...he was there for that late 80's fade and my guess is he will bleed to keep that from happening again.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:49 pm

The Man built one championship team so you are probably right Smile

And of course the environment makes the player to a large degree, NY can probably make anyone egocentric.

We know that Nate can score, maybe with some "boston schooling" he could be a terrier on defense too.

One would hope that they talk to the players and not just look at numbers/previous achievements Smile
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Swede,

That's what I was wondering. Even Marbury surprised me with some decent defense after he became a Celtic. Maybe Nate could run among opponents's legs and bite them in the knee. lol.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:30 pm

KellyGreen17 wrote:I agree with Cow, we need a backup PG, and while Nate wouldn't be a good option as a starting PG, he does OK as a backup. We need energy and scoring off the bench which are things that Nate could provide. He's statistically better than House in all categories except FT %. I'm not really crazy about his attitude and antics, but I do think we could use his talents.

I do have to say that if it's between Walker or Giddens I would prefer to keep Giddens at this point. It may just be that I've seen JR play more, but he seems to be the better defender of the two, and actually beat Walker in the C's in-house dunk contest so the athleticism is at least comparable.

glad we agree that Nate is a young player on the rise,he could have a similar effect as Jamal Crawford when hes on and with our starting lineup and his speed he can get alot of good looks.On Giddens didn't know he won a team dunk contest,maybe he came up with some creative ones,however in no way do I think that proves he has the potential that Walker has.Still have seen no ability from JR to create on his own or in traffic,management must agree as just read Giddens has been sent down to D-League again.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:23 am

Cow, maybe I'm suffering from short term memory, but I don't recall Walker showing us much more than Giddens has. As I recall he had a few impressive dunks last season in garbage time over third string players, and that was pretty much it. I'm not a big follower of college basketball so maybe you are referring to his play at that level. I don't think an in-house dunk contest "proves" anything, but if it was Walkers athleticism that impressed you, I would think JR beating Walker might put them on more even ground in that aspect.

Giddens being sent to the D-League doesn't mean much to me either. Walker was there earlier this year while JR was starting for the C's. I think that's just Doc's way of getting them playing time since they sure aren't getting much with the C's. I'm not so sure management has even decided which one of the two they prefer.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:55 pm

We have all seen Walker dunk in traffic,at least he has one skill to build on,never seen Giddens dunk in traffic,anyone can dunk uncontested,the little we've seen them play Walker has shown me more.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down