The Ax falls on Bogans.....

+4
gyso
bobheckler
k_j_88
beat
8 posters

Go down

The Ax falls on Bogans..... - Page 2 Empty Re: The Ax falls on Bogans.....

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:30 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Boston also received a $5.3M Traded Player Exception.

Man, Danny sure loves those.  Can't say I blame him, we got Zeller and Thornton for faciltating a deal with a TPE.

bob

bob,

Zeller was a good pick up, but I am not so sure I would have wanted to pay Thornton $8.575m this year.
I might have let most of that TPE expire...
But, I am pretty sure Cleveland wouldn't have given up Zeller without a team eating Thornton's salary.

TJ,

We got a very serviceable center with a few years left on his rookie contract.  In exchange for that we had to take a shooter that will help our weak perimeter shooting offense for one year, or fraction thereof.

Short-term financial pain, none of which comes out of my pocket, for short and longterm team gain.  I'm ok with that.

Besides, I doubt Danny had his eye an expensive free agent this summer (Love was not a free agent so the $ would have ended up close to even anyway).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Ax falls on Bogans..... - Page 2 Empty Re: The Ax falls on Bogans.....

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:54 am

Other aspects of this trade:

1.  Celtics get a $5.3M Trade Exception.  That's like having the advantage of Bogans' expiring contract for another year without having to pay him for it or deal with his 'tude.

2.  We sent Cleveland two 2nd round picks from Sacramento that were "Top 55 protected".  That means that, unless the Sacramento Kings are one of the 5 worst teams in the league, those two picks will never be used and, even if they are, they'll be one of the five last draftees, the scraping bottom of the draft.

3.  We got two 2nd round picks from Cleveland, with no restrictions on them.  They won't be great picks, Cleveland will do well, but at least they are real picks and not like the Sacto ones.  One could use these picks for Euro draft-and-stashes.

In summation, Danny turned Bogans' salary (we had to pay him last year) into a "Bogans salary equivalent", a TPE, which doesn't require you to actually pay the player but you can trade it as if it was a player, and upgraded two 2nd round picks from paper assets that were effectively worthless into two usable 2nd round picks that, because they are 2nd rounders, have no contract commitments associated with them.  

Is this the deal Danny and Wyc were hoping they could get with the Bogans expiring contract?  I doubt it, but by rolling Bogans forward another year this deal bought Danny another year to try and get that deal, without having to have Bogans on the payroll to do it and Cleveland paid him two 2nd round picks to boot.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down