k_j_88
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Celtics Don't Plan To Buy Out Bogans Empty Celtics Don't Plan To Buy Out Bogans

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:11 pm

Celtics Don't Plan To Buy Out Keith Bogans
Feb 28, 2014 12:45 PM EST

The Boston Celtics do not plan to buy out Keith Bogans from his contract.

Danny Ainge discussed the team's plan to keep Bogans on Friday.

Bogans has appeared in only six games this season.

Via Gary Washburn/Boston Globe

bob
MY NOTE:  Buy him out!  With the injury to Wallace, he might even be asked to play.  I'm not holding my breath, but he could.  It would boil down to just how bad whatever he said or did on the bus was.  So far, given his non-play despite our struggles, it appears to have been unforgivable.  

What a statement, though?  We're down to barely enough players for a practice squad and he's not allowed to show up at the facility?  Think GMs around the league aren't aware of stuff like that?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Don't Plan To Buy Out Bogans Empty Re: Celtics Don't Plan To Buy Out Bogans

Post by k_j_88 Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:25 pm

I wonder, though... What are the financial implications of letting him play out his contract versus buying him out when he's obviously not really part of the team anyway?

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Celtics Don't Plan To Buy Out Bogans Empty Re: Celtics Don't Plan To Buy Out Bogans

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:33 pm

k_j_88 wrote:I wonder, though... What are the financial implications of letting him play out his contract versus buying him out when he's obviously not really part of the team anyway?

KJ

KJ,

Excellent question. If he's bought out, does that open up a roster slot for someone?

Considering the bad feelings here I wouldn't be surprised, if Bogans is bought out, that Ainge and Wyc wait until after all the better players getting bought out (which include just about everybody but especially Butler and Grainger) get to choose their next teams first, leaving Bogans to have to accept a deal with a non-championship contending team? Assuming he gets offered any deal by any team. His stock must be pretty low in NBA front offices right now.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:43 pm

The idea of suiting him up has a smattering of merit. Okay, the smattering is gone now, because I don't believe that adding a disgraced malcontent to the roster of a struggling team is a formula for and positive chemical reaction. Try a kid instead (which I guess they're doing.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:16 pm

It makes sense for Boston to keep Bogans probably up until the day before next season starts.
His contract is fully unguaranteed in years 2 and 3 with no guarantee date (other than the league guarantee date which I think is in January).
So, Boston could trade Bogans anywhere from 7/1/14 forward and use him so salaries can match in a trade. It is a big incentive for a team to trade for a player/contract like Bogans because the receiving team in the trade can waive him and pay him $0.
If Boston keeps Bogans into the season which is doubtful, he will get paid 1/82 for each game he is still on the roster but he could still get waived at any time and not get paid the balance on his contract.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:20 pm

bobheckler wrote:
k_j_88 wrote:I wonder, though... What are the financial implications of letting him play out his contract versus buying him out when he's obviously not really part of the team anyway?

KJ

KJ,

Excellent question.  If he's bought out, does that open up a roster slot for someone?

Considering the bad feelings here I wouldn't be surprised, if Bogans is bought out, that Ainge and Wyc wait until after all the better players getting bought out (which include just about everybody but especially Butler and Grainger) get to choose their next teams first, leaving Bogans to have to accept a deal with a non-championship contending team?  Assuming he gets offered any deal by any team.  His stock must be pretty low in NBA front offices right now.

bob

Bob,

There's zero interest in the league for Bogans.
In order for players to be on a playoff roster, they have to be signed by tomorrow.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:42 pm

TJ,

I haven't seen that fact pointed out in any other post.  It's an important date, and I thank you for posting it. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will matter much to the Celtics or Lakers, but it is important in terms of playoff teams' being anxious to pick up someone from waivers.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:43 pm

sam wrote:The idea of suiting him up has a smattering of merit.  Okay, the smattering is gone now, because I don't believe that adding a disgraced malcontent to the roster of a struggling team is a formula for and positive chemical reaction.  Try a kid instead (which I guess they're doing.)

Sam

sam,

What's smatter with you?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:47 pm

I wonder if there might be some payback in Boston's unwillingness to buy out Bogans. The guy was such a jerk that they said they'd rather have him leave than stay around. I know there would be little interest in him, but considering how many guys just got bought out, I wonder if Boston is specifically not buying him out a) to avoid doing him a favor; and b) so that he'll sit on the shelf and become that much more irrelevant.

I have nothing to base that on. Purely conjecture. One thing for sure -- his year with the Celtics is one of the strangest I've seen.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:57 am

I don't see why this is unexpected. The entire point of adding Bogans with the contract he had was to use him during the season or prior to that July 1st deadline as part of salary in a trade. That's also why we got the $10.3M trade exception in the Pierce/KG trade as well. Perhaps Ainge will decide not to use them but there's no reason to give up on them before we have to. Heck, if Houston was willing, a trade of Bogans, Olynyk and maybe a pick for Asik would satisfy the trade restrictions.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:07 am

They could always send him to the DL Very Happy
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down