Brandon Bass A Steadying Force

2 posters

Go down

Brandon Bass A Steadying Force Empty Brandon Bass A Steadying Force

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:11 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/10/brandon_bass_a_steadying_force

Brandon Bass a steadying force

Brandon Bass A Steadying Force 093014celticstf15
Photo by: Ted Fitzgerald
VETERAN PRESENCE: Brandon Bass has survived the Celtics’ roster turnover and continues to be a key contributor.

Friday, October 3, 2014
By:  Steve Bulpett

WALTHAM — Brandon Bass was brought here in the lockout-shortened 2011-12 season to support Kevin Garnett, in particular, and to help prop open the Celtics’ window of contender’s opportunity.

He stayed with the club, re-signing as a free agent in the summer of 2012, to do the same. But a year later, the roster was wrung out. The Celts were getting younger, and while Bass isn’t among the aged (he’s still just 29), he seemed a tenuous fit.

One could say he didn’t sign up for this, but the 6-foot-8 power forward refuted that notion at training camp yesterday.

“I signed up to just be the best Brandon Bass I can be,” he said. “Nobody’s obligated to give me anything.”

That attitude is born of a strong self-awareness and an appreciation for where he’s been and how far he’s come. Brandon Bass harbors no sense of entitlement.

“I’m in my 10th year, man,” he said. “I was a second-round pick (by New Orleans). You know, I didn’t play my first two seasons. So to be where I’m at and to do what I’ve done thus far is a blessing for me.

“With these things up in the air, it comes with the territory. Players get traded, new players come in, coaches leave, new coaches come in — things always change. You just have to adjust. My job from year in and year out is to make adjustments.”

The Celtics are in Year 2 of what they don’t want to call a rebuilding situation, though everyone can see that’s what it is. Bass doesn’t care about labels or any of that.

“Every year I come into a season, I’m always in some kind of situation,” he said with a smile. “So for me, I can’t really focus on those situations or I wouldn’t be motivated. So for me I kind of just simplify things for myself, and I hope the other guys do the same.”

Last season, Bass simplified himself to an ultra-solid 11.1 points and 5.7 rebounds a game, and he played in all 82.

His ability to remain undeterred during the 25-win campaign earned him the club’s Red Auerbach Award.

“I just think that was the organization showing their appreciation for what I bring to the team and how I take care of myself day in and day out,” he said.

Exactly.

“The one thing about him is he’s a great pro,” said his coach, Brad Stevens, who most surely appreciated his veteran’s diligence during a time when things really could have broken apart.

“He takes care of himself. He does all the right things, and he’s a guy that you can count on every day.”

How much Bass gets counted on this year — the last year on his contract, by the way — will depend a great deal on the progress of kids Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk and whether or not some team comes calling for an experienced forward.

But Stevens knows Bass will find a way to contribute.

“One of the things is he’s got certain things he does really well, so he can play a role that can really help a team,” the coach said. “He can make that mid-range jump shot. He can post some matchups. He’s extended his range to the corner 3, which we’re really excited about. And defensively we think he’s a unique player, because he’s a guy that gives you a chance to match up with the elite wings in the league at the 4 (power forward). He can switch some screens and guard the wing.

“So he’s always going to have those abilities in his role, and then it’s just a matter of how he fits around the others and how much you need him to do.”

For now, Bass is just putting in his work and awaiting directions.

“I don’t know what role coach wants me to play right now,” he said. “I just want to try to get better with the things we’re doing day-in, day-out.

“You really can’t focus on things like that,” he said of the rotation and all that impacts his playing time. “You’ve really just got to focus on yourself and being the best you so, when you put yourself with the team, you can help the team out.

“It’s kind of whatever coach wants to do. Whatever coach wants to do — whatever Danny (Ainge) wants to do, whatever those guys want to do — that’s what’s going to take place. Us as players, we’ve just got to take care of the things we can take care of, and that’s just coming to practice every day and working hard.

“I don’t go into camp thinking about nothing but trying to get acclimated with all the new things. Because all those (other) things, you can’t really control, you know? I don’t think it’s my job to really focus on those things. I think it’s y’all’s job to write about those things.”

Bass knows his job and how to approach it. And he knows he would be in trouble if he didn’t have his outlook.

“I would be, man,” he said. “I would be. So I’m grateful for this. I just feel like I’m always a work in progress mentally and physically on and off the court.”

bob
MY NOTE:  What a great professional.  Steady Eddy.  And now he has a corner 3?  Not a big fan of my bigs running to the corners but I suppose if he hits a few that will change my mind (and open up the defense because they'll have to come out to him).  I was a fan of his back when he was with Dallas, so I've been beating his drum for a long, long time.  And he's only 29.  That used to be considered "his prime" but with the influx of babies into the league with only 1 year of college under their belt, he's a doddering oldster.  Sheesh!  I forgot he was a 2nd round pick (#33, by New Orleans, he went to LSU so that was a regional hometown-boy-makes-good pick for them). Not bad, Brandon, not bad at all.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Brandon Bass A Steadying Force Empty Re: Brandon Bass A Steadying Force

Post by Sam Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:02 pm

It would take a treatise to list the qualities of what I call a "Celtics type player." But, in one sentence, I can guarantee that it would involve a mix of skill, effort and demeanor. By those criteria, alone, he's the most Celtic-like player on this squad. I hadn't heard about the corner three; but, even if I don't know how much call he'll have to use it, I like the fact that—after 10 year—he's still seeking improvement. The epitome of a pro.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down