Big Bill, Big Baby And Everything Else

2 posters

Go down

Big Bill, Big Baby And Everything Else Empty Big Bill, Big Baby And Everything Else

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:26 am

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2014/10/random-thoughts-on-big-bill-big-baby.html

By FLCELTSFAN

I know I'm not the only one who is anxiously awaiting the first preseason game. First a little rant. I spent an hour or so on chat with the cable company and ended up totally frustrated. I signed up for League Pass already and the first payment is on this month's bill but when I go to the League Pass channels it still has the "Call to Order" message there. So I logged into their support chat and was told that they would be carrying the preseason games starting the first week in October and for me to reset the cable box. So, I did, and still got the "Call to Order" message.

Then the rep said that the season doesn't begin until October 28 and they would carry all the games then. I asked her what happened to the fact that she verified that they would start the first week of October to which she said she didn't say that. After copying and pasting her statement she said that they wouldn't bill me until the start of the season, and this was after I had already told her that they have already billed me. We went round and round a bit until I realized that she really didn't have a clue. So I guess I'll be streaming them on the computer.  Thank goodness for Ball Streams.    Rant over.

In the "Some Things Never Change" department, Big Baby is still playing for Doc out in LA. I remember when he was with the Celtics, every year going camp, he would talk about having lost weight in the off season, but somehow he was still always overweight. I had to laugh at this quote from Doc after Big Baby's annual weight loss:

Jovan Buha @jovanbuha
Follow
Doc said Big Baby has lost weight, but that you wouldn't notice it because "it's like throwing a deck chair off the Queen Mary."
1:40 PM - 3 Oct 2014
48 RETWEETS  28 FAVORITES

Marquis Daniels visited the Celtics practice on Sunday as he is going around the league putting his name out there for a chance to get into coaching. When he was with the Celtics, I remember Doc saying that he would make a great coach. He's one of the good guys and I hope he can get his foot into the door and realize his dream of being an NBA coach one day.

Speaking of coaches, new Celtics coach Derren Erman is drawing rave reviews from head coach Brad Stevens. Before going to the Warriors for the past two seasons, Erman spent four seasons as a coaching assistant with the Celtics, where he performed scouting duties and worked extensively with players on individual skill development. His time with the Warriors didn't end well as he was fired by head coach Mark Jackson for taping meetings between coaches and players. Erman was the 3rd assistant fired by Jackson, including former Celtic Brian Scalabrine. But, the Warriors loss is the Celtics gain. Watching Erman on the sidelines of the Celtics' scrimmage reminded me of Tom Thibodeau.   Brad Stevens had this to say about his new assistant:

“Darren’s really a great defensive coach. He’s more than that. I think sometimes we pigeon-hole guys because he’s obviously specialized in that. But he is detail-oriented as detail-oriented gets. If your hands aren’t in the right place as you’re guarding in a pick-and-roll, or if your body positioning’s not at the right angle, or you don’t guard the post in the exact right way, he’ll stop it and he’ll correct it.”

Every Celtics fan who was around back in the 80's has fond memories of Bill Walton. He's definitely one of a kind. And, he was the Sixth Man of the Year back in 1986 when the Celtics won their 16th championship. If you aren't familiar with Big Bill, check out Lex Nihil Novi. He's got the definitive collection of articles on Mountain Man Walton. Anyway, I came across this awesome tweet showing Big Bill officiating in a wedding. I guess somewhere along the line, he became a minister or Justice of the Peace, which doesn't surprise me at all...

You would think that with all the young guys, the Celtics would have fewer injuries but it appears that is not the case.  Jeff Green (calf), Marcus Smart (groin), and Vitor Faverani (knee) joined Rajon Rondo on the sidelines for Sunday's practice.  Brandon Bass has a scratched cornea but practiced anyway.  The good news, if you can call it good news, was that Joel Anthony was back on the court and able to practice ahead of Monday's first preseason game.  

Monday's game will be televised on NBA-TV at 7:30 PM ET and rebroadcast at 1:00 AM ET.  So, if you are in the same position as I am and your cable company isn't carrying the preseason games,  you can watch tonight's game without resorting to a stream.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Big Bill, Big Baby And Everything Else Empty Re: Big Bill, Big Baby And Everything Else

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Bob, as I was watching post game show on Comcast, they announced that the Patriot show that is usually on on Mondays would not be on because the Celtics game was on. I checked my channel, and it is on on Comcast, pregame at 7:00 tonight.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down