beat
Berlin-T
Sam
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Let's Be Realistic about Rondo Empty Let's Be Realistic about Rondo

Post by Sam Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:46 am

Friends, Celtics fans, and board members, I come neither to praise Rajon Rondo nor to bury him.  But I wonder if we're being sufficiently realistic about his ability to be a major building block on a developing team.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Rondo's offensive warts were camouflaged by the collective talents and greatness of the Three Amigos.  Briefly put, they could do what he couldn't; and they all possessed great ability to get open and/or convert his passes to points.  Throw Perk and his picks and defensive ability into the mix, and Rondo had what I'd consider a sort of sheltered catalyst role.

But, lately, it seems apparent that his talents are being exposed as an imperfect scenario—at least for a team on the rebuild.  Not only does he lack consistent shooting ability, but also he's the type of assist guy who capitalizes on the abilities of teammates to get free rather than creating opportunities for them.  I like his dash and flash, which may merit cash.  (Couldn't resist the rhyme.)  But the Cousys, Whites, and DJs of the world all represented significant strengths (playmaking, shooting, and defense respectively) that comprised major elements of championship foundations without having other deficiencies that were glaring enough to offset their strengths.

It's entirely possible that, on a team with an updated version of the Three Amigos—players whose greatness would make it relatively easy for Rondo to be a pass-first floor general who didn't do some other things consistently well—Rondo could really click.  But is he the sort of catalyst who can expedite the process of making talented teammates more talented and can orchestrate the blending of those talents into a contender?  I suppose it's possible, but I'm not presently feeling bullish about that possibility.

On the other hand, uptempo basketball is one of the easiest offenses to master because it requires more athleticism and less complexity than half court offense.  Moreover, we've seen how pushing the ball can enhance a halfcourt offense by creating initial openings that tend to close after a few seconds.  And, when he wants to (which seems to be the case lately), Rondo can really push the ball.  So it's possible that continued emphasis on pushing the ball offensively could capitalize on Rondo's most apparent strength as long as the Celtics employ sufficient greyhounds to complement him.  But even that would not minimize the negative impact of his offensive inconsistencies.

Of course, it must be noted that offense isn't the team's main problem right now, which begs the question of why I'm even bothering to type these observations rather than focusing on the defensive end.  And it is probably true that Rondo is, at the very worst, a satisfactory team defender and may be measurably better than that.  So I'm not including any defensive indictments in my thoughts about him.

As for the defense, I wouldn't begin to attempt the type of analysis presented above because I feel the team's true defensive potential and liabilities won't be an issue until The Intimidator is in place and the rest of the team assumes more complementary defensive roles than they're being asked to play now.

I'll be interested to read people's views on this topic, because I'm truly on the fence about Rondo's future with the Celtics.  And I'm sure that Rondo, who obviously reads every word we write, is breathless with anticipation as well.

Sam

P.S. In a related story, Omer Asik is averaging 9 ppg and 10 rpg for New Orleans.  (i don't know how his defense has been.)  On the down side, he has missed the last four games with a back injury, and there's always the possibility that he could be chronically injury prone.
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Let's Be Realistic about Rondo Empty Re: Let's Be Realistic about Rondo

Post by Berlin-T Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:17 am

I've been on the Rondo "trade him away bandwagon" for some time and far all the reasons you listed above, Sam. And although he gets in the passing lanes on defense and can create havoc for the other team at times he mostly doesn't stay in front of his man, which is also a big negative.
Almost every time this November when watching the games (we've been playing against some really good teams) I almost always find myself wishing we had the opponents point guard.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:59 am

Just a little microcosm during a 2-3 three minute stretch when the Bulls had tied the game int he 4th quarter, We had 4 stops on them......and 4 chances to take and expand a lead. And with the ball in Rondo's hands primarily we got nothing. Without going back and double checking he committed a turnover and missed 2 if not 3 shots, None were what I would good looks plus the 2 key fouls shot misses moments later.

I too wonder about his future here. Like you same I'm on the fence too. Is there still any lingering effect from surgery? He appears to be moving pain free but does him mind feel the same way.

He is an enigma. With the opportunity for a long contract on the horizon for him, is he going to be worth the cash for us moving forward? Personally right now I'd say no.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:16 am

Beat,

I would never wish an injury on anyone.  But I find myself hoping the holes in his performance are injury-related.  The problem is that, if I think back over the years, the problems we're seeing now have been present for awhile.  As I said above, they've just been less notable because of the players around him.

I truly hope he can make the necessary improvements because he has been regarded as the jewel in the team's crown for a couple of years now; and, when flaws are found in a jewel, it has less value to its owner.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:28 am

I've sometimes felt like I was the dreaded "Rondo hater" around here, in my short time here.

though I am NOT a Rondo hater at all. I think he genuinely is a Celtic and wants to stay here. I also think he is one of the best pure passers in the game today.

But IMO , the team cannot pay him max money and become a real contender. They still need that "guy" that will have the ball in HIS hands at the end of the game. Rondo's in-ability to have a consistant shot and/or make his free throws all during his career means he is not that guy. Can Rondo co-exist with a player that will command the ball from him late in games?

adding Stevens apparent motion style offense as his priority (something I don't believe Rondo is a good fit for), Ainge may have to move Rondo (or the coach) for the team to improve dramatically.

I believe this pre-season we saw the Celtics team of the future with Stevens as coach. A team where their isn't a ball control QB, but one where EVERYONE is expected to move and pass the ball.

which Is why I still feel (despite Ainge's refuting it) that Rondo will be traded this year.

Now perhaps Ainge feels he can get that "A " guy though trade in the next year or two ( I do not feel the Celtics will have the cap space to sign an elite UFA to fill that roll over the next couple years).

If that happens and Rondo can defer at the end of games, along with Stevens adjusting his coaching .....fine with me.

if not and a trade happens, I hope it works out great for both Rondo and the Celtics.

we'll know by the trade deadline, for sure. Because if Rondo is still here, Ainge will sign him to a new deal at whatever cost.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:40 am

kdp,

There's really only one era in Celtics history when the Celtics absolutely needed a pure floor general at the "1" position.  The Russell teams had what amounted to such an embarrassment of riches that it required a guy combining the creativity, discipline, mentality and leadership skills embodied by Cousy just to help keep everything in order.  Passing out the "sugar" (as he called it) was a source of major pride for him, but he was obviously never afraid to take the big shot or put himself on the spot regardless of the challenge.

Jo Jo and DJ were not great "pure passers," but the Celtics won championships with them.  It certainly can be done if the entire team has the talent and natural inclination to work together in an egalitarian manner.

I wonder how many more Rondo threads we'll have before this season comes to an end.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:55 am

I am also not a Rondo hater, but do not think that he is the "guy" to either turn this season around with or even to build the team around in the next few years.

Rondo will do very well again when he is on a team where he can specialize in doing what he does best - passing the ball to offensively gifted players who thrive on taking (and making) the clutch shots.  He was fantastic in this role when he was with Pierce, Garnett and Allen.

When with the Boston "Big Three" his weaknesses were clearly much better hidden.  Now his poor on-the-ball defense shows more, his inability to shoot well costs games where in the past he was pretty much relegated to the corner in the half court game, he does not currently have the same level of teammates so the lane is much more often closed off to his drives, he is the worst free throw shooter in the league, etc.

As I have posted recently, I am most frustrated by his inability to get his team to play better around him and especially when the game is on the line.  Last year, his team was very, very young and he was injured so I can easily give him a pass on not making the very strong move to the top of the team's leadership spot after Garnett and Pierce were traded.  But, this year his team has more talent and experience, his coach is more experienced and he is much, much healthier even if he is not totally 100%.  And, he has still not taken the necessary steps to take control of his team.

To me his physical skills will not improve much in the next few years, but his leadership needs to take big steps forward before I would consider resigning him for anything even close to a max contract at any time even though he may deserve a max contract with another team.

Last edited by wide clyde on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammatical error)

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:56 pm

Clyde,

I don't believe money enters into the decision.  Being able to sign Rondo for a bargain price won't matter a bit if he can't reliably play a major role in taking them to contention level.  If Danny feels Rondo's the guy, then Danny can pay whatever Wyc will allow.  It's Wyc's money, not ours.  (I wish!)

Sam

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:18 pm

Who would fit in best this year that's coming available we can trade for?

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:52 pm

Sam

The main question presented by you, "But I wonder if we're being sufficiently realistic about his ability to be a major building block on a developing team."

I would answer that question with a yes.

A recent analysis revealed that Rondo was one of the very best NBA players in terms of his contribution to the offense.  

In the championship season 07-08 Rondo averaged 10 PPG, 5.1 assists, 4.2 rebounds and 1.7 steals per game.  I recall many fans stating that the only reason why Rondo was good was because he had the big three.  Having 3 future hall of famers on your team certainly did not hurt.  But if you look at the statistics the case can be made that he is even better than he was when they were on the team.

However he does not have one go to guy on this team that he can give the ball to and get out of the way.  Danny Ainge said that the two pieces that this team needed to compete was a go to guy and a rim protector.    The go to guy takes tremendous pressure off of the offense when the Celtics need a basket.  We do no have that now and it has little to do with Rondo.  Rondo was very good running the half court offense and is equally  good in the fast pace offense.  Rondo is NOT the go to guy and cannot be expected to be the man.  His job is to get the ball to one of his teammates in a situation where he has an opportunity to score.

Does a team on the rebuild need to have a point guard that is a high end scorer? Or do they need a distributor that spreads the ball around?

Defensively, the entire team is poor.  We do not have an intimidator.  Defense requires a team effort.  Rondo's defense is not as strong as it was earlier in his career but part of the issue is that the team does not play good team defense.  In 07-08 Rondo averaged 1.7 steals per game.  This year he is averaging 1.7 steals per game.  Competition at the PG spot has increased and over the past few years as a lot of very good PG's have come into the league.  Every night there is a tough cover and the Celtics cannot stop the pick and roll.

Rondo has never been a guy to win the game for you.  He has never been a player with high end scoring ability.  However his overall offensive contribution still puts him in an elite class of NBA players and therefore he is and should continue to be part of the Celtics future.

The Celtics still need some pieces but we already have a very good point guard.  I think the focus for this tem should be on getting a big and an elite level offense player.

As far as money is concerned, he should get as much as he can get.  The Celtics must decide if the dollars make sense for them.  Retaining his services may help to attract free agents and we have no high end salaries on the team right now so there is some wiggle room to make a deal.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:14 pm

Sam,

I think that money does enter the equation because if you are going to give Rondo a max or near max deal in the very near future realizing that he is not "the guy" then you would have less money to sign another guy to be "the guy" that this year's team (and likely next year's team as well if Rondo returns) needs so badly.

I will go out on a limb here knowing that criticism is just around the corner and say that from a stats type of thing, Pressey can do just about everything that Rondo does if given equal minutes at least on assists and points scored while most likely being the better of the two on the defensive end. And, Pressey works for far less money which would allow the Cs (never ones to go over the tax threshold during this rebuild) to have more money to spend on some other players.

dboss,

It is my belief that Rondo has plenty of ability. He will likely be a "star" on most teams, but he just is not carrying "star" weight in Boston, on this year's team or probably next year's team either. His numbers are rarely a problem, but his lack of performance in the clutch and his lack of seemingly being able to rally his teammates is an almost nightly issue in my eyes.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:58 pm

Rondo seems to play up or down to the occasion, and this campaign is a rehearsal for next year when much of this team, plus Okafor, or someone like him, set out to win the East. Rondo's poor foul shooting, late game meltdowns may drive down his value from the max-contract level, but I think he'll pay off in pivotal playoff games for whoever has him. I read him as pacing himself, knowing the WLs this year are not the big deal, but that developing a team, honing skills and staying healthy are crucial. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:59 am

I have written this 4X now only to have my Wi-Fi drop and lose it.  My frustration level was approaching medical levels inappropriate in a country with 3rd world medical facilities so I've typed it into a memo and am cutting-and-pasting it, hoping I can post it on the odd moment the local Internet decides to show up for work.  We'll see how many times I have to try before it happens.  Welcome to Bagan, Myanmar, a government-designated archeological zone that is famous for its 3rd century BC artifacts and 12th century pagodas but not for the reliability of its infrastructure.  Surprisingly, at least one of the local restaurants makes quite credible Roman-style pizza.

Rondo is a facilitator.  He makes other players better and every other player in the league knows it.  He isn't, however, "the man" who is going to say "climb on my backs, boys" like Cornbread did and be able to back it up.  His weaknesses in scoring from the field and the line deny him that. 

Rondo's greatest value to this team, in my opinion, is two-fold:  1)  He makes his teammates look good which improves their trade value and 2) He is Danny's bait for another big fish.

Let's consider life without Rondo:

1.  He is traded for another all-star.  The 3 Amigos set the current league bar, you need to have 3 all-stars to feel strongly about your chances (one could argue the Spurs set it first, but Ginobili is a step down from Duncan and Parker, imo).   LeBron validated that when he left Cleveland, because he realized that, even if the single all-star is at the top of the pyramid like he is, one is not enough.  If Rondo is replaced with another all-star we are still stuck at one.  A cha-cha,  so to speak.  Furthermore, consider the motivation of our trading partner.  Are they trading an all-star in their prime and with years left on his contract, or one who could walk soon (e.g. Kevin Love) and leave us at the altar without Rondo or a valuable replacement to build around.  Would a player of that caliber agree to re-sign with a club where they are the only all-star or would they leave in pursuit of a team that already is positioned to go deep into the playoffs and his addition might put them over the top?

2.  Rondo is traded for a key much-needed role player who isn't an all-star.  Just to tug on Sam's heart strings,  let's say Omer Asik.  That would certainly fix a problem we have, it would allow players to play competitively at their appropriate positions but it would take away their facilitator, their supercharger.  We'd gain the paint defender but we'd lose our general.  Pressey and/or Smart could conceivably step up but Phil is an even weaker scorer than Rondo and Smart has a long way to go to become an NBA point guard.  Furthermore, we would then be without an all-star.  What all-star, who isn't on his back nine or damaged goods, would want to come to a team where he is it and the burden of being "the man" falls squarely on his shoulders?  Trading Rondo for a non-all-star would, in my opinion, make Danny's job of landing a high value free agent VERY difficult.

Rondo's weaknesses, warts and all, are on display when he is on the court and expected to be "the man" but if does the the two things I mentioned in my prelude, he can still be "the man" for the Celtics.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:39 am

Ainge won't be able to SIGN any top level Free agents next year, unless Rondo and Green both leave.

The salary cap space isn't there folks. I know its hard to understand the NBA salary cap and I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of it.

but we are playing a fools game, when we think that somehow Ainge will be able to sign a high dollar UFA AND keep Rondo next year.

we have to have salary space UNDER the cap (not the luxury line) to sign Free agents.

we CAN do sign and trades with another team for RFA's. but have to give up like salary's in any deal.

I keep reading Celtic fans saying Ainge is going to sign a top level FA to go with Rondo next year......tell me how that happens under the current CBA?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:43 pm

I think fans spend too much time worrying about the Salary cap.

The formula for adding more talent will most likely involve some trades.  Also as we have heard, the CAP is supposed to increase the year after next.

The ability to attract high end players in a sign and trade is more possible if Rondo is on the team.

There is no other player on this team other than Rondo that could attract a prime time player.

Why is it that top players would love to have Rondo run the point on their teams?  When Rondo becomes a free agent that he will be getting solicitations from players that want him to go play with them.  Some fans may not appreciate his value.

It is not and has never been Rondo's job to carry the team offensively.  It is not one individual that can be expected to do that on this team and even if we had a go to guy there is no guarantee that we would be a winner.  Exhibit A, the year the Celtics lost 18 straight games.  We had a go to guy on that team named Paul Pierce.

We all have opinions on what role certain players should play.  If you come up with a role based on what your perception is of a star it probably is going to involve scoring a lot of points and making big time shots.  I do not agree with that notion.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:10 pm

Next year Bass will be a free agent and Jeff Green has a player option for $9.2 million.

One or both of those players may not be on the team next year. Let's say Jeff takes the option, the salary without Rondo is $42 million. If the Celtics decided to sign Rondo for $100 million (Just throwing that figure out) that would add $20 million to the salary and bring it up to $62 million. However his new salary could be structured so that the first year is less than $20 Million. The thinking being that in 2015 - 2016 both the cap and the luxury will increase.

I think that before the Celtics even get to this point they will make a trade. Players coming and players going and there are no untouchables.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:31 pm

Interesting discussion on both sides.  I did like the fact that, when the Celts slowed down in the fourth quarter today and Rondo returned to the game, he picked up the pace.  Of course, it was too late, and their defense was still porous; but he gets props from me for that.

We all know Rondo's stats are usually very good....outstanding in many cases.  To my way of thinking, stats have relatively little to do with how good a catalyst he is.  As I've stated many times, a large proportion of his assists come when he stands still on the perimeter and finally spots a cutter and sends a good pass the cutter's way.  Another large proportion of his assists come from inside-out passing.  I think those abilities are a long way from being the kind of creator who, in the halfcourt, moves the ball around himself and creates his own passing lanes as much as depending on others to do so.

I think one thing that's largely overlooked in this conversation is the fact that my original concern related not to whether Rondo could be a major factor on a championship team with three all-stars.  My original quandry related to whether Rondo is the right piece for a team that is trying, over time, to BECOME a contender.

Is he the kind of floor general who can be a catalytic leader in facilitating the kinds of improvement, player development, and coalescing that these Celtics will need over time?  The kind of who can pick them up when they're down?  The kind who can urge them to even greater heights when they display good stretches?  The kind on whom his team can depend to cultivate that extra gear in the clutch?  Or is he better suited to being part of a group of teammates who can are good enough to capitalize on his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses?

That is my quandary.  Stats don't really do it for me as indicators of the kinds of leadership or catalytic qualities I believe are needed to change a team from tentative to driven in their quest to improve.

It's certainly legitimate to conjecture about who else (1) would be available and (2) could realistically do a better job than Rondo at all of the above.  Frankly, I like Smart as a wing player better than as a long-term prospect for the "1" position.  Yes, he makes occasionally fine passes.  That's just a tiny portion of the requirements for a good floor general.  While I like the pace at which Pressey consistently plays, and I even like his defense better than Rondo's, I believe Phil's lack of height causes him problems both in his decision making and his penetration attempts.  And, if Rondo's shooting doesn't scare a lot of people, I doubt Pressey's could ever be more threatening.

Turner wouldn't be the long-term answer either.  Tom Heinsohn has annointed him the Celtics' sixth man, and I believe that description fits him better than "floor general" does.  In short, I don't believe a potential floor general upgrade over Rondo is currently on the team.  I'll leave any such acquisition to Danny.  However, it's fair to take a stab at qualifications.

Although I'm a personal fan of the old-time ball distributor (and Rondo would have to rank extremely high on the current list), the NBA seems to be going in a direction in which the main requirement for a floor general is to have reasonably well balanced capabilities.  Adequate ball distribution skills, adequate shooting skills, adequate leadership skills.  And smart—very, very smart.  Not necessarily any spectacular skills but dependability at all phases of the position.  This is pretty much how I'd describe Tony Parker, although IN NO WAY am I suggesting he would ever become a Celtic.  Since the Spurs seem to be the popular operational model at present, why not use their floor general as a model in that department?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:50 pm

dboss wrote:Next year Bass will be a free agent and Jeff Green has a player option for $9.2 million.

One or both of those players may not be on the team next year.  Let's say Jeff takes the option, the salary without Rondo is $42 million.  If the Celtics decided to sign Rondo for $100 million (Just throwing that figure out)  that would add $20 million to the salary and bring it up to $62 million.  However his new salary could be structured so that the first year is less than $20 Million.  The thinking being that in 2015 - 2016 both the cap and the luxury will increase.

I think that before the Celtics even get to this point they will make a trade.  Players coming and players going and there are no untouchables.

dboss

here is a link that's shows Salary's for this year and future years.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/BOS.html

I do believe that Green has a player option, which they do not show for next year (like you said).

Green may take the option next year, as the new TV money kicks in the year after.

so if Green stays, the Celts have 12 players under contract at $46.9M

they also have two first round pick that need to be added for cap purposes , lets say at $3.5M

so we're at around $50M there...BUT until Rondo, Thornton and Bass re-sign, sign elsewhere or their rights are waived by the Celtics, the NBA assigns a "salary hold" for Salary cap purposes on the team.

but lets say Bass and Thornton sign elsewhere quickly and Rondo resigns for a hometown DISCOUNT deal at $14M for next season.

The Celtics will be at about $64M in salary's with the likely cap next year being in the $65-68M range.

so still NO Money for another TOP level Free agent.

now 2016 is a totally other story...which is why THAT is the year that I believe Ainge has targeted as the year to bring the Celtics back to being a contender.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:25 pm

As I suggested, the Celtics do not have to sign a free agent.

a sign and trade is the oprion I would expect to see.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:53 pm

so what RFA will Ainge go after next season?

K. Leonard-SA
R. Jackson- Okl
B. KNight-Mil
N. Cole- Mia
P. Beverly- Hou
T. Thompson- Clev
J. Butler- Chic

they are the best RFA's next year. Leonard I can see as an upgrade at SF. Jackson but only as a REPLACEMENT for Rondo.

none of the others are upgrades at any position for us next season.

It's easy to say we'll do a sign and trade for someone...but when you look over the list of players out there, its pretty weak.

on the other hand, if Rondo signs elsewhere or is traded for expiring deals....then the Celtics would have potentially as much as $16-18M in CAP space for an UFA.

UFA next year include:

M. Gasol -Mem ( I would much rather pay him max money)
L. Aldridge- Port
O. Asik- NO
D. Jordan- LAC
R. Hibbert- Ind (has a player option)
G. Monroe- Det

and that's just the big men that are Free agents.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:14 pm

I keep trying to type something intelligent about how our future salary will affect getting a good player (or two) next summer to play along with Rondo, but I am at a loss.  I typed something last night, but I deleted it.  I tried again this morning and again deleted it.  I just did it again.

There are just too many variables in play between now and then.  I believe using the numbers that we have today to predict our "issues" next summer is a exercise of futility.  If Ainge wants to convince Rondo to sign a new contract next summer, then the current roster will change and today's numbers will change along with it.

We may have a better idea what the possibilities will be after the trade deadline.  Even then we may want to wait until we see what our roster looks like at the end of the regular season.  At least then we will know who we may include in a sign-and-trade next summer.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Keep Rondo. Be patient through the 2015-16 season, and then score big when all the dross comes off our salary cap books. We'll have beaucoup cap space then and draft picks galore to score trades and free agent pickups - and maybe do well in the draft as well. Patience grasshoppers, patience.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:53 pm

worcester wrote:Keep Rondo. Be patient through the 2015-16 season, and then score big when all the dross comes off our salary cap books. We'll have beaucoup cap space then and draft picks galore to score trades and free agent pickups - and maybe do well in the draft as well. Patience grasshoppers, patience.

Where's the 'like' button?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:12 am

[quote="kdp59"]so what RFA will Ainge go after next season?

K. Leonard-SA
R. Jackson- Okl
B. KNight-Mil
N. Cole- Mia
P. Beverly- Hou
T. Thompson- Clev
J. Butler- Chic

they are the best RFA's next year. Leonard I can see as an upgrade at SF.  Jackson but only as a REPLACEMENT for Rondo.

none of the others are upgrades at any position for us next season.

It's easy to say we'll do a sign and trade for someone...but when you look over the list of players out there, its pretty weak.

on the other hand, if Rondo signs elsewhere or is traded for expiring deals....then the Celtics would have potentially as much as $16-18M in CAP space for an UFA.

UFA next year include:

M. Gasol -Mem ( I would much rather pay him max money)
L. Aldridge- Port
O. Asik- NO
D. Jordan- LAC
R. Hibbert- Ind (has a player option)
G. Monroe- Det

and that's just the big men that are Free agents.

Who knows?  certainly not me.  What do we need and like may be a better question.

With the drafting of Marcus Smart there is no need for another PG.

How about at the 2?  AB needs to play consistent this year and stay healthy.  If not that could be a spot to upgrade unless you think that Young is our future shooting guard.

How about adding depth at PF?  Bass is a free agent this year and I think he will be traded before the season is over.  That leaves Sully and KO.  How about adding a PF with length and above average rebounding and defensive skills?

What about SF?  Are you satisfied with Jeff Green?

How about at the center spot?  That is our biggest need.

My wish list would start with Asik.  He is a big strong physical center that would clog up the middle and knock guys on ther ass when they drive to the hoop.

We need a thug or two on this team.  Teams have no fear of playing Boston.  Ainge needs to add more -physicality to the team.  We need bigger stronger and meaner players.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:17 am

I agree Dboss, I just am not sure there is enough salary room for a tope level guy AND Rondo getting much more than he makes now.

Gasol IS the prize in next years FA class of big men, not sure there is any way Ainge can get him though.

Asik does look like the guy who may get knocked down a bit in his salary with that group. and I agree with most ehre, that he would be a good fit with the current roster.

my overall point about the recent posts here, is that many seem to think that the Celtics can sign Rondo at max deal AND still ahve money for another top level Free agent. but the numbers tell us something different.

and I am sorry, but we can't just say, let Danny worry about the numbers. That doesn't change them.

The way I look at things is, why hope that the Celtics can do the impossible next year? you're sitting yourself up for a let down.

instead look at the REAL possibilty that in 2016 the Celtics WILL be players for ANY UFA on the street (at least salary cap wise).

but hey...if Ainge can find a way to get Gasol along with Rondo.......fine with me!!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next