Report: During players-only meeting, Knicks express frustration with Carmelo, triangle

+5
hawksnestbeach
NYCelt
wide clyde
beat
9 posters

Go down

Report: During players-only meeting, Knicks express frustration with Carmelo, triangle Empty Report: During players-only meeting, Knicks express frustration with Carmelo, triangle

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:05 am

NEWSDAY

By AL IANNAZZONE al.iannazzone@newsday.com

SAN ANTONIO - The Knicks held a players-only meeting last weekend to air concerns about how they're playing and to try to figure out how to turn things around. Carmelo Anthony said they may need to have another one to figure out who is airing some internal matters.

The frustration from the worst start in franchise history is at an all-time high, and everything that happened Wednesday couldn't have helped matters.

According to ESPN.com, Anthony is at the center of some discord on and off the court for the Knicks, who dropped their 10th straight game Wednesday night and became the first team with 20 losses after falling, 109-95, to the Spurs.

The story, citing anonymous sources, said Anthony threatened to fight Tim Hardaway Jr. during a game last week, and that several Knicks let Anthony know they don't think he's playing team basketball or trying hard defensively.

The report also claimed the players aren't happy with Derek Fisher's insistence on running the triangle offense and holding full practices the day after games.

Knicks vs. Spurs

Neither Anthony nor Hardaway Jr. denied that something happened in "the heat of the battle,'' but refuted they have a strained relationship. Anthony said the Knicks (4-20) are committed to the triangle, and what was said in the meeting will stay in-house. But he said none of his teammates said anything about how he's playing.

"If somebody feels like I need to take less shots . . . I'm with these guys every day,'' Anthony said before sitting out the game because of a sore left knee. "We laugh and we joke and we're around each other all day long.

"I don't like to deal with anonymous sources. I'll try to get to the bottom of it so I can defuse that or sit down and talk to my team as a team. Maybe have another meeting if it is somebody in here that's putting the stuff out there, we need to figure that out and defuse that because we don't need that right now, especially when we're losing games.''

Indeed, the Knicks have enough problems. The last time they lost 10 straight was 2005-06 under Larry Brown. They were missing Anthony and J.R. Smith, but the Spurs were without their four best players -- Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Kawhi Leonard -- and led by 25 in the second half. Seven Spurs scored in double figures.

Anthony said the Knicks were at a team brunch when he heard what was being reported. He disputed it, yet said he would take it on his shoulders.

Carmelo Anthony's ups and downs as a Knick

"The things that I'm hearing that were being said, none of that came out and about in that meeting,'' Anthony said. "Everybody had the platform to speak their piece on what they felt about what's going on and how they can better the situation, but it wasn't pointing fingers or anything like that or solely pointing me out to be the blame for what's going on. I accept that.

"We need somebody to step up and accept that. I don't have a problem taking that blame.''

Amar'e Stoudemire said the meeting was to make sure the Knicks were "on the same page'' and Anthony shooting too much "wasn't a part of the discussion.''

Hardaway Jr. said he considers Anthony "a mentor'' and that their confrontation is in the past.

"We're a family and we've moved on,'' he said. "It happened last week, a week ago, so I don't know why it's out right now. It's in the past and we've moved forward.''

The Melo trade: Where are they now?

But the Knicks are stuck in the mud. Mike Woodson, Raymond Felton, Tyson Chandler and Beno Udrih were among the fall guys for last year's disappointing season. They're all gone and the Knicks are in worse shape.

Team president Phil Jackson said Monday that there's been "some resistance to discipline and order and culture change.'' He could have been referring to the Knicks' feelings about the triangle, which hasn't been as effective as he or Fisher hoped.

Jackson hired Fisher after Steve Kerr spurned the Knicks for Golden State. He's not using the triangle and the Warriors are an NBA-best 18-2 with a far better roster than the Knicks have.

"We're all committed to the triangle and to this system,'' Anthony said. "We do have times when we get frustrated. But are we committed as a team to doing what's right by it? We are committed. We said it from day one.''

Fisher said he isn't concerned.

"I don't know if it's a lack of belief in the triangle per se, I think too much has been made of the triangle anyway,'' he said.

Back to top Go down

Report: During players-only meeting, Knicks express frustration with Carmelo, triangle Empty Re: Report: During players-only meeting, Knicks express frustration with Carmelo, triangle

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:06 am

SO, DOES DANNY MAKE A PLAY FOR MELO?

Back to top Go down

Report: During players-only meeting, Knicks express frustration with Carmelo, triangle Empty Re: Report: During players-only meeting, Knicks express frustration with Carmelo, triangle

Post by beat Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:46 am

Old Phil Jackson has his work cut out here.

beat

And as for getting Melo..... NO please

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:22 pm

As a basketball fan who has NEVER liked the Knicks, I can only smile when hearing about them having internal problems.

But as a Celtics fan, please do not give away even one deflated ball for Anthony.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:44 pm

Melo would be a great fit, our scoring would go through the roof...

...of course we would need 4 other guys who are All-NBA defensive team.

Best to let the Knicks keep him.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:55 pm

Agree about Melo; one Melo mistake a decade is enough. And the Knicks dilemma is understandable. Losing, especially among those expected to succeed, breeds discontent. Hawk.

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:01 pm

HEY

WITH ALL THIS CHATTER............WHO'S WORKING TODAY?

LOL 112288

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:18 pm

112288 wrote:HEY

WITH ALL THIS CHATTER............WHO'S WORKING TODAY?

LOL   112288

Ah cr*p; that's why I forgot to get lunch again!

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:21 pm

NY

Just another method of keeping the weight off during the holidays. You have to excuse me for the short reply as I have to go get some Baskin & Robins ice cream from the frig!

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:45 pm

I never work.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Wide Clyde..................I guess you discovered Margaritaville where it's always 5 o'clock somewhere!

If only!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:35 pm

Melo? No thanks.

Hardaway Jr? Hmmm. A less expensive version of Thornton? Hardaway can shoot, no doubt about it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:00 pm

Well, I never work now, but that is only after 35 years of teaching in various public school systems at the high school level.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:30 am

Long time. My wife is a NYC Board of Ed teacher............so I know what teachers go through............35 years is a long time.........with a lot of patience thrown in.

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:00 am

Melo to a team like Houston or Chicago would make a ton of sense.
But not to Boston.
Despite having a 7-13 record, Boston is making big strides this year.
But they don't need a Carmelo Anthony who now has a cranky knee and a $129m contract.
Boston should stay on the course they are on.
If in a year or so they feel they are a 45-50 win team, then they should think about acquiring a Carmelo or another veteran who might make them serious contenders.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:13 pm

^^well said. Exactly how I feel about it.

No need to disrupt things now....and also why in retrospect, getting Kevin Love would have been a mistake. The rest of the pieces are not in place nor ready to take that next step, and adding a veteran who is ready to win now - will just make for a bad vibe in the locker room.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:32 pm

Now there's something I never saw coming. An offensive system designed to get everyone involved isn't working for a ball hog and his four other teammates!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:51 pm

112288 wrote:Long time.  My wife is a NYC Board of Ed teacher............so I know what teachers go through............35 years is a long time.........with a lot of patience thrown in.

112288 and Clyde,

Both my parents and an aunt were NYC BD of Ed teachers. I come from a family of teachers.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:59 pm

Besides, how's Phil going to look if/when he has to abandon his signature offense?

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:56 pm

Bob,

Did they run a life boat drill yet where you live and did they issue you life jackets yet?

Why shower and waste water as you can just stand outside with a bar of soap!

LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:11 pm

112288 wrote:Bob,

Did they run a life boat drill yet where you live and did they issue you life jackets yet?

Why shower and waste water as you can just stand outside with a bar of soap!

LOL

I've read some comments on Facebook by my friends about it.  I haven't watched any TV here so I don'the know anything about it.

I hope my house is still there when I get back.

Here in Yangon, however, it's sunny and hot.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down