+5
worcester
international
kdp59
Berlin-T
Sam
9 posters

Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Rockets in Boston Empty Post-game Thread: Celtics-Rockets in Boston

Post by Sam Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:50 am

The Rockets without were just good enough to build up an 18-point lead over the Celtics during the first half, withstand what looked like serious travel fatigue in the second half, and hold off the charging Celtics at the end for a 93-87 win.

Houston shot 55% in the first quarter, threatening to run the Celtics off the court.  The Celts had only two official turnovers, but it seemed like 20 as they were just plain lethargic, shooting only 38% and constantly being a step slow—much like the same malady they suffered through much of the Minny game.  The only Celt exception was Brandon Bass, who looked like he was trying to put his teammates to shame as he was extremely active in going to the hoop, scoring nine points in the quarter—the only Celtic with more than three of the Celtics' 21 points in the quarter.

Meanwhile, Donatas Motiejunas (gesundheit) was going nuts at the other end, matching Bass' nine and combining with James Harden for 16 of the Rockets' 29 points in the quarter.  (Harden would score only five more during the remaining three quarters, as Crowder and Smart blanketed him pretty well after his initial outburst.

The second quarter was more of the same, as the Rockets outscored the Celtics 31-21 to lead by 18 at the half.  Motie (I just can't keep typing that entire name) dropped another seven on the Celts, and Josh Smith temporarily harnessed his inside scoring ability to hit nine.  Tayshaun Prince took over the Celtics' production lead from Bass, scoring seven in the quarter.  The Garden sounded like everyone was under a huge snowdrift as their home team eked out only 21 points in each of the first two stanzas.  In the half, the Celtics' defense had resembled circled wagons around the lane—sort of a collapsing zone.  I'm not quite sure what that defensive strategy was aimed at accomplishing; but the Rockets thrived from three-point land (6-15) and down low (30 points in the paint).  The Rockets' pick-and-roll offense just shredded the Celts' ineffective attempts to stop them.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the rout.  In the third period, the Celts continued their anemic scoring, with 22, led once again by Bass (6 points).  But they really tightened their defense and limited the Rockets to nine, and Houston led by only five entering the fourth quarter, 69-64.  The Celtics switched to a trapping man-to-man defense, which seemed to confuse the Rockets throughout the remainder of the game.  Houston committed seven turnovers in the third quarter.

And the Rockets would commit another five turnovers in the fourth quarter, although the Celtics missed a load of chances to take the lead as the closest they got was three points.  They kept their collective foot on the pedal and had numerous fast breaks but scored only three fast break points in the quarter.  Marcus Thornton demonstrated his sixth-man talents by adding eight points in the quarter to the nine he had quietly scored before.  Once again, no other Celt scored more than three in the final chapter.  I personally found the most irritating part of the stretch drive was Sully taking three ill-advised threes, not in the flow of the game, and missing all three.  Rally-killers.

So the game amounted to the Celtics playing from behind from the outset but lacking the firepower to parlay their improved second half defense into a win.  You don't win a lot of games when you shoot only 36%, including 7-24 from behind the arc.  They also missed seven of their 23 free throws.  They assisted on a pitiful 44% of their made field goals.  They did an admirable job of staying with Houston in terms of rebounding (50-48 Rockets); they forced Houston into five more turnovers than the Celts had; and they held Houston to 29% shooting in the second half.  They just couldn't take advantage when it counted.

Individual players:

Bass: (17 and 8 ) Extremely active. If he was auditioning for other teams, they should be breaking down Danny's doors right about now.
Thornton: (17 points, 7 rebounds, 1 steal) When he's hot (which is usually, this guy is the closest thing to an assassin the Celtics have.
Prince: (13) Mr. Smooth is their most consistent and diverse weapon.
Bradley: (10) 3-12 (including 0-4 from three-point land) just doesn't cut it; auditioning for Green's old Mr. Inconsistent role
Sullinger: (8, 7, 4 assists, 3 turnovers) The three rally-killers and three turnovers trying to force inside shots in traffic left a bad taste
Crowder: (7 points, 3 steals, 1 block) A typical Crowder game.  Brad stuck with him through most of crunch time for defense on Harden
Zeller: (7 and 11) Strong rebounding game, but I sense that his offense is losing some of its previous edge (2-8 shooting)
Turner: (4 points, 1 assist in 21 minutes) If the hand is holding him back, I'd welcome the push available from Pressey, who did not play)
Smart: (4 points, 4 assists, 1 steal, 2 TO) A "growing pains" game (1-6 shooting, 1-5 from arc); nothing special when he ran the team
Wallace: He played 7 minutes and had a steal

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Rockets in Boston Empty Re: Post-game Thread: Celtics-Rockets in Boston

Post by Berlin-T Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:03 am

I'm so sick of Sullivan shooting threes. We had three or four chances to pull even or at least to within one in the 4th quarter when Sully hoisted up three threes all of which he missed leading to rebounds for Houston and their moving ahead by five to six points. This after we had been so effective attacking in the paint. That and our defense had brought us back from 18 down! Why then go away from what's working? Sully is good down low and also has a better than decent jumper when he moves inside the arc. Now that Rondo's gone Sully is moving up on my most disliked Celtic list. He's also gained weight again which slows him down on defense.

So the question: is the three ball at the end of games his idea or Brad's? If it's his, then he's a doofus and if it's Brad's, he's the doofus. Winning is hard enough without dumb strategy balling up the works.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Rockets in Boston Empty Re: Post-game Thread: Celtics-Rockets in Boston

Post by Berlin-T Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:06 am

Just an afterthought: if the three ball shot is required why not have somebody shoot it who consistently makes it, like Thornton?
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:20 am

Sully was just taking up Kelly O.'s spot with those threes.

it seems Brad does like his bigs to be able to stop and pop those threes in the flow of the game anytime.

I would personally rather have Kelly doing it over Sully though.

I like the fight this team shows, even when getting far behind to superior teams. That defense in the second half was smothering at times (especially on Harden).

interesting note as I watched the game, I thought our bets players last night were..Bass, Thornton and Prince. All the OLD guys!

Smart played another great defensive game as did Bradley I thought. Even if neither one was much on the offensive end.

If Stevens can ever get the team to play close to that second half defense fro an entire game, they could beat anyone in the NBA.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:08 am

Berlin T-
Just for curiosity what is a doofus?What is meaning of that word.By the way I agree with you in the 3 points shots by Sully.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:39 am

Berlin, I am with you. I hate Sully taking threes. Really hate. Especially when he does so early in the 24 secereond clock. Especially when there are other, better shooters open. Red used to hate Danny taking so many three's. He'd probably be insanely upset with Sully. Doofus indeed - either Sully or Brad or both.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:09 am

There was a game within the game that I enjoyed, it was whos the netter perimeter defender, Beverly, Smart or Bradley, all 3 guys harassed each other and whoever they were on.....Smart really showed me something flat out stopping Harden, the leading scorer in the league and supposed MVP candidate, cold a few times. If we just had Mr Intimadator back there with Smart and AB playing together our defense would really be something, cause with those 2 on top of their game, we have the best perimeter defenders in the league.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:14 pm

If you hate the 3-point shooting (as I do), blame Brad's philosophy. His desired offense is predicated on a lot of three-point shooting, including his bigs.

Sullinger will never become a true, knock-down shooter from beyond the arc. His place is in the post. A missed 3 is more than just a missed shot; it's an easy opportunity for the opponent to score on a transition play.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:51 pm

Kj...that's what i most dislike about Sully shooting his low % 3's...he's not there to rebound the miss and the other team ix off and running for fast break points. Good coaches tailor their offense to the talents of their players, not vice versa.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:06 pm

International, I've always thought the slang word "doofus" meant "jerk." The Urban Dictionary defines it as "someone without a clue."

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:12 pm

I take a back to no one when it comes to detesting the three point shot. I assume one of Brad's reasons for having bigs shoot the trey is to bring big defenders away from the basket. That doesn't explain why Sully would take three of them in rapid succession when it was clear that the ball had to be moving toward the hoop.

I'll give the proponents of the three one thing though. Just when I had thought the slow-down, iso game was ruining the game, they've come up with something that downgrades the spectacle even more.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:02 pm

international wrote:Berlin T-
Just for curiosity what is a doofus?What is meaning of that word.By the way I agree with you in the 3 points shots by Sully.

Doofus=Dumbbell=stupid one.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:08 pm

kdp59 wrote:
interesting note as I watched the game, I thought our best players last night were..Bass, Thornton and Prince. All the OLD guys!

Depressing because it's so true! Of the young guys, the only one really standing out for me is Marcus Smart. He's going to be something special.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:52 pm

sam wrote:International, I've always thought the slang word "doofus" meant "jerk."  The Urban Dictionary defines it as "someone without a clue."
A jerk is someone who acts poorly on purpose. A doofus is unaware and usually benign.

Oddly enough, Steve Martin in The Jerk was a doofus, not a jerk.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:09 pm

Outside,

So does that mean Steve Martin (or Jerry Lewis in the original) wasn't purposeful in acting like a doofus? LOL.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:33 pm

Thanks guys.
I got another word in my dictionary .Speaking about the Celtics ,lately I have seen Tyler Zeller too fragile against the other centers in the league ,he is looking like a robot and slow.Marcus Smart need to have the ball in his hands more,he is passing too fast.To me he has to creat more and drive to the hoop more times,i don't like him passing the ball and hiding in the corners.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:52 pm

On the topic of the three…

I'm fine with the three, I like it and think its addition brought about new strategies and kept the game from getting stodgy.

You know when I like it most?  When somebody shoots it who can make it consistently.

Sully is not that somebody.  If it's part of the game plan, poor planning.  If it's Sully pulling the trigger too quick, it needs to be squashed.  Sully is not the guy we need firing away from beyond the arc.  He is a guy we need in position to rebound.  Watching him gun it and miss with the clock running down against Houston was just one more time he helped put a dagger in the team's effort.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down