Post-game Thread: Celtics-Nuggets in Boston

+3
international
bobheckler
Sam
7 posters

Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Nuggets in Boston Empty Post-game Thread: Celtics-Nuggets in Boston

Post by Sam Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:41 pm

For the Patriots, the Butler did it.  For the Celtics, the Crowder did it.  Both stole the ball at critical moments to make victory possible for their teams.

After a brief Nuggets surge to start the game (they were up 9 at one point), a Celtics flurry brought them back to only a 29-26 deficit entering the second period.  Zeller, Bradley (once again, hot all night) and Turner had 6, 6 and 5 respectively.  Sully was once again late for practice and cited "traffic" problems, which may have included being stopped by the police.  So he didn't play in the first quarter.

In the second, Sully made up for lost time, taking 8 shots, including two threes (making one) for 7 points.  Avery kept on trucking and, at the end of the half, he had 11 on 5-8 shooting including a three.  But it was Marcus Thornton who threw in 9 points, including two threes, to lead the Celts to a 61-51 halftime lead.  The Nuggets were paced by Afflalo (13) and Nurkic, a young center who shows great potential although he pretty much disappeared in the second half with only 2 points.

One thing the Celtics did briefly in the second quarter was to switch to a 2-3 zone defense for a short time.  The change of pace seemed to befuddle the Nuggs just enough to help the Celtics roll to the 10 point lead.  At halftime, Bradley (11) and Thornton (12) paced the Celtics in scoring; and the bench was +11 and the starters were -1.

Once again, the Celtics "lost" the third quarter, 27-22.  Ty Lawson bagged 12 in the quarter after sleep-walking through the first half.  For a team not known for its defense, the Nuggets were guarding the Celtics closely and forcing the C's offense out.  Which fed right into the Celts' recent penchant for taking jumpers.  Through three quarters, the Celtics shot 55% (11-20) from three-point land and only 39% (22-56) from two-point range.  By the end of three, only three Celtics were shooting better than 50%—Bradley (6-10), Young (3-5) and Thornton (5-9).

What was most interesting about the fourth quarter—aside from the fact that the Celtics "lost" the quarter but won the game–was the minutes distribution.  Playing the most minutes for the Celtics were Smart (12), Bradley (8 ), Sully (7), Crowder (7), Turner (6) and Bass (6).

The trio of Smart, Bradley and Turner is smoking lately because all three of them are offensively minded while also playing very good defense.  More and more, Brad is going small with those three, Crowder (at PF) and Sully, Bass or Zeller as the lone big.  In the fourth quarter, Crowder actually led the team with 5 points.  Down the stretch, the game was nip and tuck, and three plays basically made the difference.  First, Avery went to the floor for a loose ball in Denver's end, tipped the ball over to a teammate, and wound up hitting a three on the same possession.  Then Crowder essentially won the game by "doing a Butler" on Gallinari on an in-bounds play, leading to two Bradley freebies that made it a two-possession game that was out of reach for Denver.

Crowder gets my game ball, not just for his timely highlight steal but for his 14 points, two offensive boards, 4 defensive boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, one block, and tenacious defense throughout—especially on Afflalo.  Bradley gets honorable mention.

Individual players:
Bass: Not his usual scoring (4-13) but was in there for several key defensive stands down the stretch
Zeller: The one Celtic who kept taking it to the hoop with mixed success but good for 14 points to go with 5 rebounds
Bradley: Lower shooting percentage than in the Knicks game (7-15) but tied for the team lead with 17 points—many huge down the stretch
Smart: Only 4 points but 10 (count 'em) rebounds and 8 assists.
Turner: I still believe his hand is affecting his shooting (3-11), but 8 boards and 8 assists weren't shabby; and his defense is off the charts
Sully: Seemed defiant about his lateness in pre-game interview; helped atone with 14 points and 7 rebounds in 21 minutes
Crowder: What can I say?  I love the guy.  Watch him: The ball is like a magnet for him.
Young: 20 prime time minutes contributed to his seeming more comfortable in the flow of the game; 3-9 but I loved his three assists
Thornton: As long as he's here, I'll feel comfortable when he takes a shot; he's a professional sniper to be sure
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Nuggets in Boston Empty Re: Post-game Thread: Celtics-Nuggets in Boston

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:24 am

Sam,

Just want to say how much I appreciate these post-game synopses of yours.  Saying they are better than Forsberg's is a back-handed compliment but it is true.  Much more insightful and for those of us who can't see the game "insightful" is key.

I'm enjoying my trip but I am looking forward to coming back on 2/19 so I can finally put my own eyeballs on a game.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post-game Thread: Celtics-Nuggets in Boston Empty Re: Post-game Thread: Celtics-Nuggets in Boston

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:47 am

I have a question for anybody who watched the game:  How did Jusuf Nurkic, the Nuggets' center, look?  At 6'11", 280# he was considered one of the top centers in last year's draft, which was quite thin in centers after Cauley-Stein decided to stay in school.  Another Pekovic, big and strong.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by international Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:15 am

Bob,
Jusuf Nurcic looked very good,14 points,7 rebounds and 3 blocks.He is massive 6-11 ,280 pound but at the same time he is very movile.He only played 21 minutes but is tough to deal with him,for some reason he looks bigger than players taller than him,for example I saw him against Mark Gasol and the different in size was evident.Sometimes looks to anxious and out of control,but he is only 19 years old and doesn't speak English.He is a great free thows shooter 6-6 last night and has a great hook shot and a even a short jump shot.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by international Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:33 am

https://youtu.be/WznNLm_AlsE

international

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:37 am

Bob

In looking at comments from Denver fans they appear to be miffed why he is not getting more minutes. He takes up a lot of space and is active on both boards. Sort of bull in the china shop moves but effective. Zeller Bass and Sully were glad when he went to the bench I am sure. And the guy can make foul shots too.

Look at the comments on the bottom of this after the box score, I believe the second one points out what I said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/denver-nuggets-boston-celtics-2015020402/

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Bob,

As International said, I can't believe he's so mobile while carrying all that weight. The best of two worlds, I guess. He played 15 minutes in the first half, with 12 points, 6 rebounds, and 1 block. But he was given only 6 minutes in the second half—all in the third quarter—when he recorded only 2 points and 1 rebound but 2 more blocks. And he committed only 2 personal fouls in the game. In the fourth quarter, both teams went small, which I'm sure is the reason he didn't make an appearance. He clearly has the potential to be an impact player in the NBA—perhaps even (pant, pant) an intimidator.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:35 pm

Bob, thanks for the praise about the post-game threads. I'm just a placeholder until you and 112288 get back.

I'll let you in on a secret. I make it all up.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:38 pm

sam wrote:Bob, thanks for the praise about the post-game threads.  I'm just a placeholder until you and 112288 get back.

I'll let you in on a secret.  I make it all up.

Sam

Ha, ha, you and H. L. Mencken.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:18 pm

Intl, sam and beat,

Thanks.  I thought Denver got a steal with that draft day steal.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:19 am

did we pass on another possible Intimidator?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:59 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:did we pass on another possible Intimidator?

Cowens,

Nope. Nurkic was picked #16 by Chicago and was traded to Denver with Gary Harris on draft night for Doug McDermott. Danny picked next, #17, and took James Young. So, if anybody passed on an intimidator it was Thibs.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Sam, Just want to echo's Bob's thanks for an excellent summary. (You're the Johnny Most of the keyboard - almost as good as seeing the game.) Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:33 pm

Hawk,

Thanks. Even being mentioned in the same breath as Johnny Most is a real privilege.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down