Should the Celtics pursue a trade for DeMarcus Cousins?

+5
mrkleen09
Outside
kdp59
wide clyde
Shamrock1000
9 posters

Go down

Should the Celtics pursue a trade for DeMarcus Cousins? Empty Should the Celtics pursue a trade for DeMarcus Cousins?

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:16 pm

It's that time of year again:

http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/2/11/8017849/should-the-celtics-pursue-a-trade-for-demarcus-cousins

The Celtics have a treasure trove of draft picks and trade assets but nobody to deal with. Kind of like me and my baseball card collection from when I was 10.

The Kings are an absolute mess (as usual) and DeMarcus Cousins sounds a bit fed up with it.  So, (say it with me now) I wonder if the Celtics should try to pry Cousins away from the Kings - either this week or in the summer.

The new Kings ownership group is better than the old one but they've made some unpredictable moves.  The way they've handled the coaching situation has everyone scratching their heads.  Between firing Mike Malone early in the season (probably would have been better done in the offseason if at all) to bringing in George Karl (amid constant rumors leaking out of the organization) it has become a distraction to the team and in particular the team's star.

There have been rumors that Cousins isn't crazy about the prospect of the Kings hiring Karl.

Here's what he said last night.

DeMarcus Cousins on Kings: 'I just hope they make a decision soon and stick with it' - Yahoo Sports

"I wasn't consulted when the decision was made to fire Mike Malone and I'm not being consulted now," Cousins told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday night. "I just hope they make a decision soon and stick with it. George Karl is an experienced, proven coach and if that is who they chose to coach this team, I will support it. I do not like all these discussions in the media while we have a coach in place. It is a distraction and not fair to Coach Corbin and this team."

That prompted this humorous tweet.

"State of the Kings: DeMarcus Cousins is the grownup"

That's amusing but here's the thing.  I think perhaps we aren't giving DeMarcus enough credit for growing as a player and person.  Here's what Tom Ziller wrote about him a week or so back when it looked like Cousins was going to be left off the All Star squad (he was later added as an injury replacement).

DeMarcus Cousins belongs in the All-Star Game - SBNation.com

Those of who have watched DeMarcus Cousins' career most closely sensed it coming. Despite gaudy stats, a reformed attitude, much-improved defense and a clear positive impact on the court every single night, Boogie was left off of the 2015 NBA All-Star roster. Throughout Cousins' career, excellence has never been enough. Too many people in the NBA -- analysts, coaches, fans -- make up their minds about someone and never re-evaluate. Cousins caught a reputation as a knucklehead and malcontent early in his career and deserved it. All of that's over, but you wouldn't know it by the way some folks still talk about him. Even this week, as Cousins' All-Star status was discussed and revealed, you had people mentioning his propensity to argue with the referees. Oh, Cousins is tied for 23rd in the NBA in techs? Tied with Marc Gasol, Kyle Lowry, Sebastian Telfair and, uh, Joel Freeland? Huh.

Granted, Ziller is a Kings fan and adores his star in ways that remind me of my defiant devotion to Rajon Rondo.  But I guess that's why I get it.  I love (productive) guys that march to the beat of a different drummer.  At some point that can become distracting to the team, but as long as he isn't breaking the law or defying management, you can live with some of that for All Star level production.

Cousins might be happier in Boston given their stable ownership, management, and coaching situations.  He would be going to another rebuilding effort, but one that perhaps has a better heading than the Kings.  This summer Boston would have the cap space to go get him and Marcus Smart some more help and perhaps become contenders sooner rather than later (especially in the weak East).

I don't really know Cousins well enough to say that he'd be good or bad for the Celtics but I know that Danny Ainge has never been shy about adding talent.  He especially loves getting great value and Cousins could make it clear to the Kings that he wants out, which means that the Celtics could get him for less than his real worth.

In theory of course. Nobody has made a trade demand and I don't have any rumors to indicate to me that Cousins is a guy that the Celtics would go after.  I'm just speculating here and welcoming you to speculate and share your opinion.

So what do you think?  Should the Celtics make an offer for Cousins?  Should they push for it now or in the summer (or both)?

Personally, I can't imagine the Kings would ever make him available.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Should the Celtics pursue a trade for DeMarcus Cousins? Empty Re: Should the Celtics pursue a trade for DeMarcus Cousins?

Post by wide clyde Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:54 pm

Shamrock,

Sure the Kings could make him available. Their rebuild project with him as the key piece has not really progressed as planned and they still play in by far the toughest division. It looks like they are bringing in a veteran coach on a fairly long term deal which could signal 'starting over'. Possibly getting 3 number one picks and a couple of second round picks may tempt them and no team has as many such picks over such a short period of time as the Celtics.

I am sure that there are many ways for the Celtics to gather plenty of information about what makes any player tick either from players who know him and/or administrators talking about him so whether to even discuss this guy coming to Boston has likely already been done. Of course, every team has video of every minute he has played at their convenience as well. What we read about him or possibly see on the court is likely to be about10% of the available information.

He is an amazing talent as his numbers prove. He is still quite young and is probably just reaching his prime. He is a true center who all of the top teams in the west have trouble with just about every night. The Celtics are certainly searching for such a guy and have plenty of assets to get him.

I am sure that Ainge is right on top of everything that is necessary about Cousins availability at this point. It is his job to be one phone call away from all such information and I am positive that he does his job on things like this every day.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Should the Celtics pursue a trade for DeMarcus Cousins? Empty Re: Should the Celtics pursue a trade for DeMarcus Cousins?

Post by kdp59 Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:29 pm

not much of a defensive player and in no way a shot blocker.

that said IF the Kings woudl like to give him away for the clippers pick..i'd be all in....LOL.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:15 pm

Whether to pursue a trade for Cousins is an interesting question. In years past, I would've said "no" in a heartbeat, but now I think I'd say "yes... no... maybe... arrrgh, my head."

It would certainly be a risky, "all in" move. At the end of the day, I don't think I'd risk the entire rebuild on a mercurial, temperamental, enigmatic player. I doesn't help that I can't get these videos out of my head.

Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:48 pm

DeMarcus Cousins is a few cards short of a full deck. Not interested in bringing the madness here.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:20 pm

A lot of the question on Jordan revolves around personality.  Maybe a comparison is appropriate.

When Pierce arrived here, he was a punk.  He grew up as a person.  We could have dumped him, but I'm sure glad we didn't.  He started to show enough signs of personal growth that we built around him.

Jordan seems to be viewed the same way, but like Pierce, seems to be growing up.  He's a defensive force, which we could really use.  I would take the chance and try to acquire him.

Unfortunately, by my guess, there is no way in the world we can end up getting him.  We probably don't have what it would take, and I think he'll be with the Clips for a long while. I would bet the idea is moot.  Like that term..."moot."  Don't see it much.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:33 pm

Couple of questions.

Where do you get the idea that Paul Pierce was a "punk"?

Every story I have read about him said he was a gym rat to stay off the streets and stay out of trouble.

Second, this article is about DeMarcus Cousins not DeAndre Jordan????
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:57 pm

If Demarcus is outgrowing his knucklehead stage I'd sure want him. The guy is talented.

But of course if he is growing up the Kings would be crazy to deal him.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:34 pm

NYCelt wrote:A lot of the question on Jordan revolves around personality.  Maybe a comparison is appropriate.

When Pierce arrived here, he was a punk.  He grew up as a person.  We could have dumped him, but I'm sure glad we didn't.  He started to show enough signs of personal growth that we built around him.

Jordan seems to be viewed the same way, but like Pierce, seems to be growing up.  He's a defensive force, which we could really use.  I would take the chance and try to acquire him.

Unfortunately, by my guess, there is no way in the world we can end up getting him.  We probably don't have what it would take, and I think he'll be with the Clips for a long while.  I would bet the idea is moot.  Like that term..."moot."  Don't see it much.

I never really felt that Pierce was a punk, and never quite understood why the press portrayed him that way. But I do see where you are coming from - Cousins seems to be growing. However, I think he would have a really hard time with the Boston media and parts of the fan base. As we know, Boston sports media can be overwhelming and sometimes brutal, and Cousins' seems like the type who would let it get to him. Pierce eventually learned how to handle the media and the Boston sport's spotlight. I'm not sure Cousins ever would.

Anyhow, I am sure Danny will do his research either way...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Maybe the press portrayed him as a punk because he's a black guy from a bad neighborhood in LA. Knifed and nearly killed in a night club? What was he doing hanging out in such an unsavory place?

Of course Bird injured his hand in a bar fight but that was seen as just boys will be boys that unfortunately crossed the line, especially since the injured hand affected his play when Philly bounced the team from the playoffs.

I never thought of Pierce as a punk but I did think there was something to his growing reputation early in his career as a me-first guy going for his numbers. It did take me a while to accept him as not just a great talent but also a team player.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:30 pm

I have DJed at that club probably 50 times. It was not an unsavory spot by any means. $15 dollars for a vodka and soda is not a thug club at all.

It was simply a matter of wrong place at the wrong time - a young kid coming to town and flashing his money and gold chains and ran into the wrong person at the wrong time. Could have happened to any one of us.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:42 pm

I have no idea what the club was like where Pierce got stabbed. My comment was about the tone of the media reporting what happened.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:18 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Couple of questions.

Where do you get the idea that Paul Pierce was a "punk"?  

Every story I have read about him said he was a gym rat to stay off the streets and stay out of trouble.  

Second, this article is about DeMarcus Cousins not DeAndre Jordan????

Sorry, reading two articles one after the other and crossed up players.  Maybe it's the "De" prefix in their given name.  I've done it before.  I've switched those two up in name and team about a dozen times now...  I had apologized in a post yesterday for any future oversights from my having no time and making quick hits here, so I'll apply it again.

When Pierce first got here everything I read about him indicated he had an attitude that it was all about him, same at Kansas.

Even the antics he would pull during games and responses in press conferences showed contempt for anyone around him.

I'm using the term punk, you could use whatever term you want to substitute; head case, problem, etc.  My point was simply Pierce was a problem personality too, but like Pierce, Cousins seems to be growing out of it.

Regardless, I don't see Cousins (or Jordan) ending up here.  I don't think we have the assets to trade or the cash that it will take, without tying up too much of what we're finally freeing up.  The Kings (or Clippers) will want to hang onto him (or them).

Of course, ask me again and I'll switch their teams around for them.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:51 pm

DeAndre Jordan!!!!!!

now your talking man!

BTW, he is an UFA next season and the Clippers have no holds on him (except the nice weather, the big city and may be Doc as HC)

only problem is that darn bad FT shooting, he makes Rondo look like Rick Barry.

so maybe pass on the best defensive center in the NBA now...sigh.

how abut that Robin Lopez up in Portland though!!

Very Happy
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:06 pm

kdp59 wrote:DeAndre Jordan!!!!!!

now your talking man!

BTW, he is an UFA next season and the Clippers have no holds on him (except the nice weather, the big city and may be Doc as HC)

only problem is that darn bad FT shooting, he makes Rondo look like Rick Barry.

so maybe pass on the best defensive center in the NBA now...sigh.

how abut that Robin Lopez up in Portland though!!

Very Happy

kdp,

I'd comment on it, but we would end up with Brook.

I don't know about Robin Lopez.  I read something in the sports section that his girlfriend can really thump him at golf, said she out-drives him by a mile.  

You'd think a 7-foot guy could out-drive a girl.  Sounds kind of weak.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:43 pm

NYCelt,

Unless he's being really crafty.

By the way, Beth Havlicek used to croak John at golf too. I'm not sure whether he spent so much time watching her address the ball that he developed a permanent shank himself.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:49 pm

Sam,

Clever wording.

Lopez' girlfriend is Michelle Wie, so I guess it's understandable.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 am

We need a rim protector. Is Cousins a rim protector? End of question.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:37 am

While I'm not high on getting a center who's not Mr. Intimidator on defense, I do think the possible availability of Cousins demonstrates one thing. Centers with good credentials can come on the trade market. Just as Asik did last year. Just as Shaq did years ago. Just as Robin Lopez did twice in two years.

So it can happen. Whether Danny has the resources to satisfy such a trade, or whether he can arrange a multi-team trade is problematic, but I would never say never.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down