The Other Guys: Jonas Jerebko and Luigi Datome

Go down

The Other Guys: Jonas Jerebko and Luigi Datome Empty The Other Guys: Jonas Jerebko and Luigi Datome

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:22 am

http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/2/19/8073253/the-other-guys-jonas-jerebko-and-luigi-datome

The other guys: Jonas Jerebko and Luigi Datome
By Jeff Clark  @celticsblog on Feb 19, 2015, 9:32p 95

The Other Guys: Jonas Jerebko and Luigi Datome Usa-today-8236712.0
Tim Fuller-USA TODAY Sports
The Celtics didn't just get Isaiah Thomas, there's these other guys. Whats-his-name and the other guy.

Obviously the big name the Celtics acquired today was Isaiah Thomas (or "Napoleon Complex Dynamite" as I call him - trademark pending).  But the Celtics also picked up a couple of players in exchange for Tayshaun Prince.  I know nothing about them (just being honest) so I did a little research on our sister blog site Detroit Bad Boys and came up with the following quotes.  Enjoy!

Jonas Jerebko

Great summary of his career thus far at the link below, but I've given you the most recent evaluation in the quote below.

2015 NBA free agents: Decisions looming for Jonas Jerebko - Detroit Bad Boys

Jonas has flourished in Van Gundy's system, despite Anthony Tolliver's arrival and his rumoured position on the trade block. The Swedish stretch-four keeps a positive attitude, energy and readiness to play that has endeared him to the fans. Despite his poor treatment in Detroit over the past few years, Jerebko has been a consummate professional, and with free agency looming, he will have the opportunity to evaluate his options and decide whether to leave the only team he has known in the NBA, or join another squad willing to use his skillset consistently.

Now the Celtics get a few months to evaluate him headed into his free agency.

Luigi Datome

Luigi is apparently a sharp shooter, ...who hasn't shot very well in the NBA.  Last year didn't go so well.

Previewing the 2014-15 Pistons: Luigi Datome - Detroit Bad Boys

After averaging 16.3 points on 52 percent shooting from two and 42 percent from three in an MVP season in Italy, Datome was underused and played more like a least valuable player in his first year in the NBA. In 34 games, he averaged 7 minutes and, as I mentioned above, he shot 18 percent from beyond the arc. To be fair, though, he was on a terrible team and he was never really given an opportunity to succeed. Sure, he received some minutes, but shooters typically shoot themselves out of slumps with, you know, shots. Datome was given just over one shot from three, his butter spot, per game for a total of 39 on the season. Compare that to Josh Smith who had 40 three-point attempts by the seventh game of the season and, yeah, that doesn't seem right at all.

This year wasn't going much better:

NBA trade rumors: Are the Pistons showcasing Gigi Datome for potential trade? - Detroit Bad Boys

Datome, a former Italian League MVP once regarded as the best pure shooter in Europe, is in the final year of his contract after signing a two-year, $3.5 million deal in July 2013 after allegedly drawing interest from the Celtics, Bucks, Rockets, Suns, Spurs and Grizzlies. Unfortunately, he rarely played as a rookie and has been virtually forgotten this year. In 35 career games, he's averaged 2.6 points and 1.3 rebounds in 7.1 minutes. Despite his reputation as a deadeye shooter, he's shot just .190 (8-of-42) from 3-point range, albeit with little opportunity to get into a rhythm.

The Pistons sent Luigi down to the D-League to get some run - something he wasn't all that excited about - but at least he did well there.

Disappointed Gigi Datome scores 15 in D-League debut - Detroit Bad Boys

In 27 minutes off the bench, Datome shot 5-of-11 from the field – including 3-of-5 from behind the 3-point line – while adding five rebounds and a block. He also committed three turnovers. Pistons teammate Spencer Dinwiddie started the game, scoring 11 (4-11 from the field) with five assists and two rebounds in 27 minutes.

Luigi really hasn't played much this year.  Maybe Danny Ainge sees something in him that Stan Van Gundy doesn't. If nothing else, you can always hope that a shooter just "gets it" and finds his stroke again.  That's a valuable skill to have in this space-and-pace NBA.

So what do you think?  Are either of these guys anything to get our hopes up for?  Or are they just guys that we got for dumping Prince?

bob
MY NOTE:  I don't see much future in green for either one of them, quite frankly, I think we're already set at their positions.  Still, Danny got a $7M TPE for Prince.  That's a lot of sugar that can be used for future deals for us or as sweetener as a facilitator for other teams. Not a bad haul for a 34 year old...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down