Celtics' Luigi Datome Already Developing Cult-Hero Status In Boston

2 posters

Go down

Celtics' Luigi Datome Already Developing Cult-Hero Status In Boston Empty Celtics' Luigi Datome Already Developing Cult-Hero Status In Boston

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:07 pm

http://nesn.com/2015/03/celtics-luigi-datome-already-developing-cult-hero-status-in-boston/

Celtics’ Luigi Datome Already Developing Cult-Hero Status In Boston

by Zack Cox on Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 12:07AM

BOSTON — Tyler Zeller and Avery Bradley led the Celtics to victory over the Philadelphia 76ers on Monday, but neither received the loudest ovation from the TD Garden crowd. Nor did Marcus Smart, the rookie point guard who’s been the recipient of much fan appreciation this season.

Nope, the most raucous cheers on this night were reserved for the one and only Luigi Datome, the Celtics’ own version of the most interesting man in the world.

Datome — “Gigi” as he’s commonly known — has morphed from post-deadline buyout candidate to borderline cult hero — all in the span of less than a month.

He sports an unmistakable beard-and-ponytail combo and a number (70) usually reserved for offensive lineman. He sips coffee before games. He shows up to postgame media scrums in socks. He gives quotes like this:

Jay King @ByJayKing
Follow
Before the game, Zeller asked Gigi what he does in his free time. Gigi said he reads. Zeller asked what. "Books," Gigi explained.
8:38 PM - 16 Mar 2015
42 RETWEETS 39 FAVORITES

Most importantly, however, the 27-year-old Italian gets it done on the court. Datome has scored in double figures off the bench in three of the Celtics’ last six games, including 10 points to go along with three blocks in Monday’s 108-89 win. That consistency has led head coach Brad Stevens to trust the forward with a more prominent role in Boston’s rotation — a luxury that eluded Datome during his season and a half with the Detroit Pistons.

“I was thinking about it,” Datome said. “Like, I never get so many games in a row with real minutes when the games counted. I was ready for that. My goal when I came here in the league was to show them that I can belong at this level. I’m really happy that the coach and the team are giving me this opportunity, and my teammates are just fantastic at finding me out there.”

It did not take long for a mutual affection to develop between Datome and the legions of Celtics Nation. Datome commemorated his trade from the Pistons by giving his official Facebook page a C’s-centric makeover, and the Garden crowd responded to the newcomer’s blocks, 3-pointers and dunk Monday with the kind of love previously enjoyed by likes of Brian Scalabrine.

“For me, It’s just nice,” Datome said. “… Happy to be out there, happy we are winning, happy we are living a good moment as individuals and as a team. So, it’s just very fun to be here. “I think everybody’s surprised because it’s somebody new — brand new in this league, basically. But of course I love the love from the fans. They are hitting me (up) on social media, and I really appreciate it.”

bob
MY NOTE: He's Scal, except with playing time...Love his quote. Anybody who spends his free time reading is my type of person. Even books...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics' Luigi Datome Already Developing Cult-Hero Status In Boston Empty Re: Celtics' Luigi Datome Already Developing Cult-Hero Status In Boston

Post by Sloopjohnb Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:15 pm

I've always loved that story about Yogi Berra being introduced to Ernest Hemingway.  When told that Hemingway was a writer, Yogi asked, "What paper you with?"

Let's hope that Gigi has a long term future as a human victory cigar for his sake as well as ours.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Celtics' Luigi Datome Already Developing Cult-Hero Status In Boston Empty Re: Celtics' Luigi Datome Already Developing Cult-Hero Status In Boston

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Sloopjohnb wrote:I've always loved that story about Yogi Berra being introduced to Ernest Hemingway.  When told that Hemingway was a writer, Yogi asked, "What paper you with?"

Let's hope that Gigi has a long term future as a human victory cigar for his sake as well as ours.

sloop,

At this point Shav or Young or even Wallace is more of a "human victory cigar" than Gigi. He's averaging almost 13mpg over his last 10 games. That's almost rotation player minutes.

Yogi is an American icon. Long may he reign.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:42 pm

To have a human victory cigar you need victories. As long as we have a lot of the latter I don't care who takes the role of the former.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down