bobc33
Outside
Sloopjohnb
bobheckler
beat
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCUS SMART !! - Page 2 Empty Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCUS SMART !!

Post by Outside Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:46 pm

sam wrote:Beat,

In the pros, it's seldom that the "1" and "2" switch defensive assignments.  The reason is that, if the opposing "1" is playing on your "1," it's very difficult for your "1" to find the opposing "2" in transition.  So, more often than not, it IS necessary for the "1" to be able to defend other "1s."  I still feel Marcus will be much more suited to become a better SG where his strength will be more relevant and his lack of speed will be less limiting.

This is the case for some teams but not all. It depends on the defensive scheme and the nature of your guards.

Some teams look for their perimeter players to be of similar size so that they can switch when needed and not end up in a mismatch. Switching is easier than fighting through screens, and if both defenders involved in the switch are of similar size, then switching negates some of the advantages of screening. The Warriors are the current example of this that I'm most aware of. Some teams do this in special situations, such as at the end of the game (Popovich frequently takes Duncan out, goes with five like-sized guys, and switches everything at the end of a game, as he did in the ill-fated game 6 against Miami in 2013), but very few teams do this on a regular basis, either because they don't have the personnel for it or they prefer a switching/rotating defense philosophically. Phil Jackson preferred big guards specifically so that he could run a switching defense, and it was a big part of his teams' success.

Most teams switch and rotate. It can lead to mismatches, but the rotations are supposed to provide backup support near the basket, and the teams that do it best can still cover the three-point line if the offense kicks the ball out to a perimeter shooter. If you have a mighty-mite little guy at point guard like Isaiah Thomas, then you pretty much run this type of defense by default. Most teams do anyway.

If you've got two like-sized guards, switching is at least an option. If you've got an Isaiah Thomas, you avoid it as much as possible. Having a tiny guard means you're going to take your lumps occasionally on defense, but the idea is that he more than makes up for it at the offensive end.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCUS SMART !! - Page 2 Empty Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCUS SMART !!

Post by Sam Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:45 pm

I've had my say, and I'm fine with disagreeing.  Maybe my old eyes haven't seen Smart being torched by little guys; or maybe Brad's too dense to make the switch.  Riiiiiight!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:00 pm

Young Marcus continues to improved each game.

At 21 there is plenty of upside to enjoy.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2