Young Celtics Must Seize Moment

3 posters

Go down

Young Celtics Must Seize Moment Empty Young Celtics Must Seize Moment

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:00 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2015/03/young_celtics_must_seize_moment

Young Celtics must seize moment
Wednesday, March 11, 2015
By:  Steve Bulpett

The Gigi Datome story is not just about Gigi Datome.

There is another side to the tale of the 27-year-old Italian getting his first real chance in the NBA after starring in Europe.

While Datome has been more than impressive for the Celtics in 30:17 of court time during the past two games, tying his career high with 13 points in Monday’s victory in Miami, this is, too, about an opportunity squandered for the moment.

Gigi’s minutes have come at the expense of rookie James Young, who played 5:51 in the first half Sunday in Orlando and hasn’t seen the court since. Young shot just 25 percent and averaged 3.3 points in his past seven appearances, but more than that, his diminished defensive effort was more evident on a team embracing that end of the floor.

Maybe this is partly a product of being 19 years old and lacking the wisdom and urgency others, such as Datome, have gleaned through disappointment. But Gerald Wallace, 13 years Young’s senior, is hoping the kid is paying attention to what’s happening to him now.

“You know what, this whole season should be a lesson for him,” Wallace said of Young. “You can pick any message you want to give him. It’s up to him to pay attention. It’s like talking to a parrot, you know? You can only talk for so long. Eventually he’s got to understand and want it, and it’s got to sink in to him. They only understand and repeat the words that they want to understand and repeat. But it is what it is.”

There can be no question of Young’s skill level, and the 17th overall pick from last June’s draft appears to be a good kid, as well. But success in the NBA is more than a matter of talent.

“He’s got to understand what’s going on here because he’s got an opportunity and he’s got to take advantage of it,” Wallace said. “He’s got to realize when his chance comes again that not only are you in a situation where there are guys that are sitting behind you waiting for their opportunity, but you’ve got other guys that are coming into this league next year that are looking to do the same thing.

“So you’ve always got to be ready and prepared when your number is called, and you can’t be satisfied with just being here.”

Young need look no further than Datome. After playing in just 34 of a possible 136 games in his time with the Pistons (averaging 6.9 minutes), he got into only two of his first nine games with the Celtics, both blowouts.

Then, when Young was held on the pine, Gigi got a bigger look.

“I stay seated maybe 50 games in Detroit, or inactive, DNP, so I was saying after the game I would never take it for granted, the game playing basketball,” Datome said Monday. “So every minute, I’ve tried to bring my best. Everybody says that, but I really do it.”

Jonas Jerebko, who came from the Pistons with Datome, knew what potential was hiding on the bench.

“Of course,” said Jerebko, who has had a rebirth himself in green. “We played against each other when we were 19. I’ve known the kid can play. He just had to get given his shot. He’s a proven player. He’s been in Italy. We played against each other there. It’s just unfortunate when you don’t get a shot to show what you can do. And now that he’s getting a shot, I’m happy for him. I knew he could play, so it’s not a surprise to me.”

Datome has hit 10-of-14 shots, including three of his four 3-pointers, in the past two games. With the Pistons, he was a .358 shooter (.186 on treys).

“I’ve been in his shoes,” Jerebko said, “and if you don’t get consistent minutes, it’s hard to play. He’s just showing that he can play basketball and he’s a great player.”

Wallace again gave a nod that there is more to the NBA equation than ability.

“We knew how good of a shooter he was when he came here,” said Wallace, who, with Datome, was praised by coach Brad Stevens for his professionalism. “I think it’s just a matter of getting his opportunity. Like I tell a lot of the guys, this league is more about being in the right place in the right situation and having that perfect opportunity, and then at the same time being ready and taking advantage of the opportunity when it comes.

“I think he did a great job of coming in and having great confidence in himself and knowing what he can do, and then going out and doing it.”

It’s what others would be wise to take to heart.

bob
MY NOTE:  Jeff Green was James Young's mentor when Green was here.  If James Young has one brain cell in his head he should glue himself to Gerald Wallace.  He idolized Green because he was in his prime, a starter, uber-athletic and an almost all-star but the man he should have glommed onto is Crash because Jeff Green, for all his talent, lacks the single-minded intensity Wallace brings to every second of every game he is in, ESPECIALLY on the less glamorous defensive end.  That is where Young's biggest deficiency is, his defensive focus.  He identified with Green because of their similarities but he should have attached himself to Wallace because of their differences and the education he would have gotten.  Imagine James Young playing defense!  We might have had something there.  Now though?  Welcome, Gigi.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Young Celtics Must Seize Moment Empty Re: Young Celtics Must Seize Moment

Post by wide clyde Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:12 am

Young has been a big disappointment in my eyes this season. That does not mean that he should have been leading the Cs to a playoff spot, averaging 20 per game or anything else related to winning enough games to get the team out of the lottery.

Earlier in the year I mentioned that I thought that although Young was not yet getting much playing time that he probably would get more after the trade deadline, and maybe even enough to get him near the starting line up this year to prep him for possibly start next year.

It turns out that I was right on the thought that he would get more minutes after the trade deadline, but I was very wrong in thinking that he would be close to being a starter. He has now fallen behind Datome as far as getting minutes and it is very much his fault for whatever reason. Datome has played appreciably better and has deserved his promotion as the team is fighting for a playoff spot.

Now the question to answer is "why has Young not progressed faster?". There are probably many factors to consider, and the idea of picking your mentor (article by Bulpett) could very, very much could have been one of them. Looking at his still very undeveloped body, has Young been in the weight room?

But, for whatever reason, this season has not been as productive for Young as I had hoped. He actually may have more things to do now to become an NBA player than he had to do last summer because now the coaching staff has drawn additional conclusions about this guy (study habits, workout habits, etc).

This guy still has plenty of talent and should not be given up upon, but he may have to wake up sooner rather than later. Gerald Wallace's statement about it takes more than just talent should be inked on the insides of Young's eyelids.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:51 am

On another thread, I talked about the difference between 16-18 points from Isaiah Thomas and 16-18 points from Jeff Green.  That difference can be summed up in one word: catalyst.  Somehow, Isaiah's points do a better job of galvanizing teammates.

Although I would definitely stop short of calling GiGi a catalyst, I believe he may have to potential to have that kind of effect.  When I watch him out there, I find myself saying, "That shot wouldn't have fallen for the Celtics in that situation earlier in the year."  Among other things, this season has too frequently been a study of suspect shot selection by this team.  In GiGi's case, (1) so far, he seems to stay within his range of shooting capabilities and (2) so far, that range is proving amazingly broad.  One thing I do know for sure even after only a handful of games.  He's not hesitant about hoisting them.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down