Jae Crowder Is A Perfect Fit With Celtics

3 posters

Go down

Jae Crowder Is A Perfect Fit With Celtics Empty Jae Crowder Is A Perfect Fit With Celtics

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:01 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2015/04/jae_crowder_is_a_perfect_fit_with_celtics

Jae Crowder is a perfect fit with Celtics

Jae Crowder Is A Perfect Fit With Celtics 022715celticssc18
Photo by: Stuart Cahill
EASY BEING GREEN: Jae Crowder has fit in well with the Celtics since being acquired in the Rajon Rondo trade.

Friday, April 3, 2015
By:  Steve Bulpett

He has been a Celtic for just 31⁄2 months, but, in many ways, it feels as if he was born into the uniform.

Jae Crowder will be a free agent this summer, but he belongs in Boston. He should be a Celtic for as long as he plays.

There undoubtedly will be roster machinations that could get in the way of basketball justice, but one cannot watch him for five minutes and think he is anything but a perfect fit for the franchise and the city.

He even has a Boston name: Joe Chowder.

“Yeah,” Crowder said with a laugh, “that’s me. You know it.”

The first name was born in Chicago on Jan. 3 when the early version of the Bulls’ game notes for the media had him listed as “Joe” Crowder. We joked about the disrespect for a moment, then decided — what the hell? — maybe it fit. The Chowder was simply a natural, derived from his last name and the region in which he now plays.

He hasn’t been able to avoid it — not that he wants to.

“I get that a lot,” he said with emphasis regarding the servings of Chowder. “Damn near everybody. I think it’s a catchy thing for New England and for Boston. I hear it from everybody, even my coaches and teammates. It’s cool.”

He is very much a lunchpail employee punching in for work each game — with dreads hanging down from beneath his hardhat.

And it’s his game — not his name — that truly has endeared him to Celtics followers. Rescued from a decreasing role in Dallas by the Rajon Rondo trade, he is the only Maverick left here from the deal (Brandan Wright and Jameer Nelson have been moved on).

Crowder is averaging a very helpful 9.5 points in 24.09 minutes here, but it is his defensive intensity and ability to guard opponents of all sizes that has most earned the affection of coach Brad Stevens. The 6-foot-7 Swiss Army knife has been assigned to check, at various points, Russell Westbrook and Al Jefferson. With the Celts’ lack of size, he’s been asked to muscle with opposing centers. With his toughness, he’s been asked to chase point guards and, yeah, muscle them, too.

His attitude toward the job and even its public aspects (apologizing to Celtics followers on Twitter after losses) has engendered appreciation outside the club, as well.

“I’ve gotten that,” Crowder said. “The feedback has been tremendous with the fans and with the people I’ve talked to around Boston.

“I think my work ethic and the way I approach the game really fits the city, really fits what the organization and the city really prides itself on. I respect being here, and I take the utmost pride in putting on the Celtics uniform each and every night.”

Crowder’s relation with the Greenhearts is growing, in part because he doesn’t avoid the crowds. Asked where the interactions take place, he said, “Everywhere — dinner, grocery store. I go to Shaw’s by my house, and I just get feedback from everybody. It happened really quick, and I appreciate it. I tell them I’m going to keep fighting, and they tell me they’re behind us. That’s all we can ask for.”

While Crowder is very much focused on the effort to get the Celtics into the playoffs, there is personal satisfaction that, after uncertain times with the Mavericks, he has established his NBA credentials and that he belongs in a rotation.

“A hundred percent,” he said. “A hundred percent. And I’m very appreciative, and I can’t thank Boston — I can’t thank Danny (Ainge) and I can’t thank Brad — enough for the opportunity. I think I’ve been able to show what I can do on a basketball court and what I bring.”

He credits Stevens for tailoring his role to his strengths.

“As a basketball player, that’s what you want,” Crowder said. “You don’t want to be in a situation where you feel you’re held back. Sometimes you have to go with the flow and make the best of what you’ve got.

“I can score. I can make plays. I don’t think I’m a guy who just sits in the corner, but I was forced to do that in Dallas. Here with Boston, I’m able to just make plays. I can react to the game and make plays. It’s fun. I’m back to my childhood days.”

This winter’s mountain of snow won’t cause the Georgia native to look for warmer free agent pastures of green in the offseason.

“I don’t shy away from it,” he said, sharing a laugh about the recent months’ weather. “And I was able to adapt to cold weather being at Marquette for two years. It doesn’t bother me as much.

“A home is a home, and I feel like I’m at home here, so that’s a good start.”

It seems right, as well, that this is where Jae Crowder should finish his career many years from now.

bob
MY NOTE:  An article to make Sam's heart go pitter-pat.  LOL.

"Greenhearts".  I like it and I'm likely to steal it.  It says it all. Good one, Bulpett...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jae Crowder Is A Perfect Fit With Celtics Empty Re: Jae Crowder Is A Perfect Fit With Celtics

Post by Sam Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:34 pm

Steve's a pretty good writer.  There's only one player on the current team who I believe would have been a good fit with the Russell Celtics—Jae Crowder.

That's the best compliment I can give.  Aside from also hoping he finishes his career here.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Jae Crowder Is A Perfect Fit With Celtics Empty Re: Jae Crowder Is A Perfect Fit With Celtics

Post by wide clyde Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:55 pm

Sam,

One of our guys at our weekly Celtics breakfast mentioned the same thing this morning about Crowder fitting in well with the Cs of the 60s. Were you eaves dropping at the diner?

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down