Celtics Notebook: Shoot, Gigi belongs in NBA

4 posters

Go down

Celtics Notebook: Shoot, Gigi belongs in NBA Empty Celtics Notebook: Shoot, Gigi belongs in NBA

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:43 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2015/04/celtics_notebook_shoot_gigi_belongs_in_nba

Luigi Datome gave himself two years to prove to the NBA that he deserved to stay, and to decide whether he wanted to stay.

Though the swingman known as Gigi hasn’t played as big a playoff role as he hoped — he’s averaged five minutes and taken only three shots in two appearances against Cleveland — he’s probably shown enough to the rest of the NBA thanks to his late-season revival with the Celtics.

Whether the Celtics ask him back is unclear. President of basketball operations Danny Ainge has five impending free agents on his docket.

But deficiencies like defense aside, Ainge does believe Datome’s best skill has a place in the NBA. He’s that good a shooter. But Ainge thought of a former Celtic when addressing the league’s numbers problem.

“This is a really hard business,” Ainge said. “There’s 400 players in this league, and 60 more who get drafted each year. You’ve got a former NBA player of the week in Jordan Crawford who can’t get back in the league the next year. Now he’s leading (the Fort Wayne Mad Ants) to the D-League finals.

“So you don’t know. But in my eyes Gigi has proven that he’s an NBA player.”

Deep thoughts

Count on Stevens altering his rotation in Game 4 against the Cavaliers tomorrow, though the changes usually occur between the first and second half. The biggest surprise in Game 3 was Kelly Olynyk’s three-minute appearance.

All that’s guaranteed is the Celtics coach’s continued reliance on depth.

“One of the things we’re going to continue to do is be us and just use our depth,” Stevens said. “One of the things that helped get us here was everybody being ready and everybody contributing, sometimes nine deep, sometimes 10 deep, sometimes 12 deep. With our team that’s a real positive thing.

“We have a good idea of what each guy can do with each group. Probably overanalyzed it, which is why I’m glad there’s not more than 48 hours between games.”

Stevens has also had lots of cause to not go too far with his changes.

“Right when I’ve got to the point where I’ve considered changing with this group, these guys have played really well, and there’s a factor there,” he said.

Liking for Love

Kevin Love had his first big scoring game of the series with a 23 points in Game 3, including 6-for-10 shooting from 3-point range.

“Overall Kevin has been great. Maybe he didn’t score as much in the second game as he did (in Game 3) or in the first game, but he’s been engaged at both ends, he’s been rebounding, he’s really been in the moment,” Cavs coach David Blatt said. “I haven’t seen any nervousness or discomfort in his play since the playoffs started and that was the concern on the part of many, could he and Kyrie (Irving) step into their first playoff and play the kind of basketball that they normally do and I think he has, as has Kyrie. I’m really, really proud of the fact that (Love) is so engaged and involved at both ends of the court as we need him to be.”

bob
MY NOTE:  There's a column written by Kevin Dupont that claims that Love spent a few days in Boston after the regular season was over and the Cav's schedule allowed.  I find this hard to believe.  I don't think there were many days between the end of the regular season and the start of the series in Cleveland for him to do this, plus he would be in practice and reviewing film and working with the Cleveland coaching staff to prepare for the series.  You don't just finish a season and be heading into a playoff series and say to the coaching staff "I'm taking off for a few days by myself". I think this is just another over-hyped "KEVIN LOVE IS COMING TO BOSTON!  KEVIN LOVE IS COMING TO BOSTON!" rumor.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Notebook: Shoot, Gigi belongs in NBA Empty Re: Celtics Notebook: Shoot, Gigi belongs in NBA

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:42 pm

What do you expect, that guy is a hockey reporter. I do not hold much of what he has to say too important. You are right, there was hardly any time from the end of the season to the start of the playoffs for him to do this. Did they not hold any practices? The playoffs started in Cleveland, so how could he find the time to get here, play around a little and go back to Cleveland without getting noticed. A seven footer who is good looking willl always draw attention in a Boston club or bar!!! Silly talk, but it sure seems to me one thing, I am not so sure he wants to play third fiddle to LB and Irving. He had a good game the other night, but, for the most part I find it hard to see a kid like that sticking around with Cleveland and wait for LeBron to possibly decide to give him the ball. Look at the other night, he took almost all of the shots in the fourth quarter except for the few he gave up to Irving. How much fun is that? He is a young guy with a huge ego. I do not see him staying. But.....that is not saying I believe he is coming here. I can wish, maybe

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Celtics Notebook: Shoot, Gigi belongs in NBA Empty Re: Celtics Notebook: Shoot, Gigi belongs in NBA

Post by Sam Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:32 pm

Once again, Rosalie, you scooped me.  Kevin Paul Dupont is definitely not noted for either being basketball savvy or moving in the kind of circles that produce reliable news.

As for GiGi, I'd love to see him with the Celtics during pre-season.  His flashes of pure shooting, coupled with his inconsistent minutes, leave me wanting to see him play extended minutes.  Could he play in the summer league?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Ditto on Gigi, I would like to see what he could accomplish here after a summer of Brad! I cannot imagine he does not have the talent to stick. My worry is the Celts will let him go and he will show up on San Antonio's team of foriegn players and fit in just great. I know Stevens likes him and he has said that that GiGi has as good a shot as any player to stick around, unfortunately, Italians don't play much defense!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:25 pm

Stevens may like Datome, but there were just a few games right at the end of the season that he did not even put him in the game. He may be able to shoot, but if he cannot get into a game he probably doesn't play enough defense to please Stevens.

I don't dislike this guy, but I do not see a place for him on next year's team when he is going to have to get a 2.5-3 M contract for probably two years. Too many draft picks on the horizon, maybe a good free agent, a couple guys in trades-who knows, but Datome has to be one of the last guys that Stevens or Ainge will be able to bring back.

Wallace is likely back, Pressey may be back as the third point guard, Crowder has to be ahead of Datome on everyone's list, Bass is a possibility to return, etc, etc. If he is the 14th guy the Cs will not want to pay him the kind of money he will get.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:07 pm

One thing in GiGi's favor with the Celtics (aside from being a strong offensive weapon on a team that needs to get well over the 40% shooting mark) is that he has some experience.  I believe the Celtics have passed the point at which they're going to load the roster with rookies.  A few, yes, but not a wholesale youth movement.  Time to start the maturation process.  It's also very possible that GiGi could be a sign-and-trade candidate.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down