Report: Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now

+3
Sam
tjmakz
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Should Danny Go After Ty Lawson?

Report:  Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now Vote_lcap25%Report:  Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]
Report:  Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now Vote_lcap75%Report:  Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now Vote_rcap 75% 
[ 3 ]
Report:  Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now Vote_lcap0%Report:  Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 4

Report:  Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now Empty Report: Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now

Post by bobheckler Fri May 08, 2015 11:08 am

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/08/report-word-circulated-ty-lawson-wanted-to-leave-the-nuggets-who-might-trade-him-now/

Report: Word circulated Ty Lawson wanted to leave the Nuggets, who might trade him now
Dan Feldman May 8, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT

When a fan commented on Ty Lawson‘s Instagram that the Nuggets point guard should join the Mavericks, Lawson replied, “I wish.”

Report:  Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now CDktLG8VEAAKhsr

Corey Carlson
‏@NORTHERE
Caught this on Ty Lawson's Instagram. Pretty wild. What say you? @Adam_Mares @jmorton78 @Raj_Sharan @afeinst21

That apparently ruffled some feathers, feathers that weren’t quite smooth to begin with.

Chris Dempsey of The Denver Post:

"If Lawson wants to remain with the Nuggets, he has an uphill battle to convince the organization there are enough good reasons to put him back on the untouchable list.  During the latter stages of the regular season, word circulated throughout the league that Lawson wanted out of Denver.  that does not appear to be the case right now"

This was a rough year for Lawson. He was arrested for DUI, and Denver could never got on track under Brian Shaw.

The Nuggets reportedly tried to trade him before the trade deadline, though they were asking too much.

Lawson is already moving on from the low points of last season, focusing on the positives, and a new coach could invigorate him. He remains a very good point guard, which is why Denver could keep him and other teams would want to trade for him.

The Nuggets might not feel good about Lawson at the moment (and vice versa), but they shouldn’t sell low on him. Their relationship could get better in hurry with the right coach.

bob
MY NOTE:  Ty Lawson, with John Wall, might be the fastest point guards in the league.  This past season he averaged 9.7 assists and 2.5 TOs /36 minutes.  By comparison Rondo, over the 9 seasons he was in Boston, averaged 9.3 assists and 3.1 TOs /36 minutes and Rondo is considered one of the top pass-first PGs in the league.    

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lawsoty01.html

Here's his shot chart (which apparently could double for an eye chart):

Report:  Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now GOVAdwRqH4AAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report:  Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now Empty Re: Report: Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now

Post by tjmakz Fri May 08, 2015 11:33 am

I really like Ty Lawson's game.
Is he a fit for Boston? Maybe.
I think they have bigger fish to fry before getting another point guard.

Here's the real question.
What position will Marcus Smart play?
Will he be a regular starter at either guard position?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Report:  Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now Empty Re: Report: Word Circulated Ty Lawson Wanted To Leave Nuggets, Who Might Trade Him Now

Post by Sam Fri May 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Good question about Smart, TJ.  I've been asking that one all season long.  If he remains a Celtic (which is likely), his situation will require a leap of faith at some point.

If he's a "1," it'll probably require a lot of criss-crossing, "find the other guard's man" type of defense for both him and the "2."  I know a lot of people think that's easy enough to accomplish, but it's NOT.  It's an inefficient way to play transitional defense in particular.

If Smart plays the "2" position, he'd certainly be a great defensive matchup in the vast majority of cases.  But the SG slot is one in which the Celtics need a lights out shooter, not a sporadic one.  His ability to leap from being a sporadic shooter to being a dependable shooter and then to being a lights out shooter is very much in doubt as far as I'm concerned.  As for taking the ball to the hoop, I believe he can become very capable n that regard; but Brad's system will apparently need the lights out guy at SG.

Of the two positions, however, I believe

But this thread is about Lawson, whom I view as a poor man's Westbrook.  I believe that, regardless of what other qualities a Celtics floor general of the future represents, speed will be an essential quality in the coming years.  My only question would be about Lawson's defensive capabilities, and maybe someone can fill me in on that.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 08, 2015 1:34 pm

And, Bobh, for those who hate per-36-minutes stats, Lawson actually did average 35.5 mpg this past season, with an average of 9.6 assists.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 08, 2015 1:45 pm

I've looked up a few scouting reports, and I guess Ty's defense is at least average (and maybe better than average) predicated largely on his quickness.  However, he can be bullied by larger opponents (he's listed at 5' 11").  So I voted "Yes."

The one other thing I'm not sure about is his judgment.  Using an instant telegram to roast James Harden's defense.  Broadcasting the defensive communication problems of the Nuggets.  Letting it be known that he might like to leave the Nuggets.

But, once again, in terms of acting professional, I believe that's what Brad's Celtics are all about.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri May 08, 2015 3:12 pm

We already have invested in our two guard positions. Let's see how that plays out with a little seasoning.

We need a center (or 2) and a scoring wing. We should keep our eyes on the prize!!

I voted NO.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 08, 2015 3:31 pm

gyso,

Good points.

My feeling is that, if Danny got Lawson, I don't believe the number of guard positions in which he has invested would change.  Because I believe another guard might be traded (including, perhaps, Isaiah Thomas).  Just for kicks, I tried the salary thing on both Trade Checker and Trade Machine.  Trade Machine (which I trust more than Trade Checker) said a one-for-one trade would not work.  Trade Checker said it would work.

Given the alternative of having (1) a dynamic but very short scorer with okay playmaking ability who's best qualified for bench play—and arguably a shooting guard position at that and (2) a dynamic, better-defending, slightly taller, better playmaker who's best qualified to be a starting floor general, I'd probably take the latter.

My number one reason is that, regardless of directions in which NBA offenses may be moving, I feel a team is lacking without having a true floor general (with all the strategic insights that implies) guiding the team.  I'm not sure how much strategic insight Lawson has, but averaging 10 assists a night suggests that (1) shooting might not always be his number one priority and (2) he'd probably be more capable than Thomas of changing his game to becoming more of a strategic coach on the floor.

As the team (especially if it's retooled this summer) develops chemistry, I believe the floor general has more impact on the other four positions than any other offensive player.  And I'd like that floor general to be someone who could potentially be around for a while.

I hear Las Vegas is setting odds on how what proportion of this board's conjectures will actually come true this summer.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Fri May 08, 2015 3:44 pm

One thing is for sure: there are a tonne (I'm british today) of intriguing and available free agents, trade targets, and draft prospects.

And our trade exceptions are bound to bring us free stuff.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat May 09, 2015 10:44 pm

Thomas is a year younger and a more productive player in nearly every category. Why in the world would Danny trade Isaiah for Ty?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun May 10, 2015 7:52 am

I tend to agree with Gyso and mrkleen here.

unless Danny sees Lawson as a clear upgrade over Thomas, a trade wouldn't make sense.

Lawson has two more years at over $12M each on the books also.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down