Pierce Considering Retirement

4 posters

Go down

Pierce Considering Retirement Empty Pierce Considering Retirement

Post by bobheckler Sat May 16, 2015 12:17 pm

http://nesn.com/2015/05/paul-pierce-considering-retirement-after-wizards-heartbreaking-loss/

Time might have run out on Paul Pierce.

It did so in the most literal sense Friday night, when Pierce’s miraculous 3-pointer at the buzzer was waved off after replay in the Washington Wizards’ crushing Game 6 loss at home to the Atlanta Hawks.

The loss put a gut-wrenching end to Pierce’s 17th season in the NBA. After the game, the 37-year-old wondered aloud if he’d return for an 18th.

“Truthfully, what was going through my mind is, I don’t have too much of these efforts left, if any,” Pierce told reporters, via The Washington Post. “These rides throughout the NBA season, throughout the playoffs, are very emotional. They take a lot out of not only your body, but your mind, your spirit.”

This series alone was an absolute roller coaster for the former Boston Celtic. Pierce banked home a crazy-buzzer beater in Washington’s Game 3 win but missed a potential game-tying three in a Game 4 loss. In Game 5, he drilled another heroic shot, only to watch Al Horford negate it seconds later with a putback at the buzzer.

In essence, the last four high-stakes playoff games have rested on Pierce’s shoulders. That’s a lot of stress to bear, and the 10-time NBA All-Star finally might be worn out.

“I don’t even know if I’m going to play basketball anymore,” Pierce said. Pierce has a $6 million player option in Washington next season, but added that he’d consult with his family before making any decision.

bob
MY NOTE:  I know something that will rejuvenate him.  Danny needs to offer him a one year vet minimum contract.  Sure, he'd be giving up $6M for $2M but he doesn't need the money, he needs peace with himself and retiring in green would do that.  I know that would consume a roster spot for a young'un but, on the other hand, think of what it will do for the players on the team to have that kind of veteran "born to wear green" talent and mentality helping them grow. Having an assassin would be good for us. If nothing else it would prevent them from swarming IT, who is currently our only assassin.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Pierce Considering Retirement Empty Re: Pierce Considering Retirement

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 16, 2015 3:49 pm

Paul Pierce belongs here, period. I hope when the dust settles, after all the "fireworks", draft, etc, that he offers him that job. It would be the perfect ending for a guy who gave 15 years of his heart and soul to the Celtics

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat May 16, 2015 4:44 pm

Hey, he's still got some game.  Why not?  One answer to that question could depend very much on (1) how many of his draft picks Danny uses on players rather than trades, (2) how many free agents he adds and (3) how many 1-for-2 or 2-for-3 trades he makes.  In other words, roster spots could be at a premium with this team.

Another answer is that, this season, the Celtics dispatched two players who were part of the old way of doing things in return for players who quickly contributed to what might very well be a hint of things to come for the Celtics.  As many great things as Pierce has done for the Celtics; and as great as he might be in guiding younger players, should sentiment be allowed to detract (even a bit) from the momentum that hopefully is building within the organization?

I'm not necessarily convinced about the answers to these two questions, one way or another.  I'm just raising the questions.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat May 16, 2015 9:42 pm

Good questions to raise about Pierce, Sam. I do not think that sentimentality can be part of any personnel decision for the Cs just like it never is for the Patriots and other very successful teams, but if Pierce can be the mentor in Washington and for a team he had never played for, I would think that he could do the same or better in Boston for a year or two.

Pierce's signing in Washington last year for 6 M shows that he is no longer in the game just to chase the big money. He knows the end of the line is not too far away. He did not probably fit in with Boston last year, but now certainly could. I very much doubt that he would hinder the development of the re-building that Ainge and Stevens have going on now.

He could very easily take James Young's roster spot in my opinion.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat May 16, 2015 10:01 pm

Clyde,

I should have added that my concerns about Pierce and the Celtics had everything to do with his style of play and nothing to do with his allegiance to the Celtics or his potential value as a mentor.  I've always felt that his playing style was slanted sharply to a deliberate and iso form of basketball, and that's not the direction I see as most productive for the Celtics in the next few years.

But I could easily see him assuming a role of coach or special assistant for the Celtics after signing a one day contract so he could retire as a player with the team.  He's certainly a savvy enough basketball guy to be able of great service in helping to teach Brad's system even if he might not have the playing instincts for it.

And, although I'm not comfortable in dissing any Celtics player too much in any one day, the idea of Pierce over Young, even for a short period, has some appeal.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down