Report: Why Erman's move was inevitable

3 posters

Go down

Report: Why Erman's move was inevitable Empty Report: Why Erman's move was inevitable

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:59 am

CSNE

Nick Borges

Assistant Darren Erman left the Boston Celtics for the Pelicans coaching staff since there was no room on Boston's bench. From Mark Murphy of the Boston Herald:

"Darren Erman, who joined the New Orleans Pelicans staff this week as new coach Alvin Gentry’s top assistant, left the Celtics for the second time. The move was inevitable. ... Ultimately, New Orleans offered something the Celtics didn’t have available — a place as part of Brad Stevens’ actual bench staff. 'We heard rumors about the connections Erman had made in Golden State, where Alvin is now, though Alvin wasn’t in Golden State with Erman,' Danny Ainge said. 'The people at Golden State, including a few of the players, were encouraging Alvin that if he got the job, Erman was the guy he needed to hire. ... We didn’t want to lose him. We just didn’t have a spot on the bench for him here.'"

Back to top Go down

Report: Why Erman's move was inevitable Empty Re: Report: Why Erman's move was inevitable

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:04 am

I DO NOT BUY THE EXCUSE!   COME ON ...NOT FINDING A SPOT ON THE BENCH...........THERE IS MORE TO IT THEN THAT.

NOW LET US SEE WHO WE GET AS A DEFENSIVE COACH?  THIS IS A SET BACK ESPECIALLY HOW ERMAN WAS WORKING WITH THE YOUNGER PLAYERS IN THE OFF SEASON.

Back to top Go down

Report: Why Erman's move was inevitable Empty Re: Report: Why Erman's move was inevitable

Post by Sam Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:27 am

Gedzunthibsheit.  Oh excuse me.

I never heard of a defensive coach who wasn't part of the bench coaching staff.  Didn't I also hear that Erman was instrumental in helping some guys with their shooting game? Doesn't sound to me like a coach dedicated only to defense.  In fact, that has seemed somewhat of a lack to me.

I don't know whether Thibs' remaining $9 million over two years is guaranteed even if he signs with another team.  But, if it is, he might be willing to take an "interim job" as a defensive coach with the Celtics.  Of course, it could be that teams are lining up with the same idea.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:30 pm

Sam,

Your heart is in the right place but Tibbs would never step down to step up.   He had a 625 winning percentage and as I read is in line to get $6M per.  Besides Stevens would be intimidated by him.  Perhaps that is why Stevens did not make Erman a part of his bench.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:55 pm

112288 wrote:I DO NOT BUY THE EXCUSE!   COME ON ...NOT FINDING A SPOT ON THE BENCH...........THERE IS MORE TO IT THEN THAT.

NOW LET US SEE WHO WE GET AS A DEFENSIVE COACH?  THIS IS A SET BACK ESPECIALLY HOW ERMAN WAS WORKING WITH THE YOUNGER PLAYERS IN THE OFF SEASON.

Yes, there is obviously more to this than meets the eye.  A few, but not comprehensive, possibilities include:

1.  Erman isn't as good as people are saying, they're just trying to be nice and wish him well.
2.  The guys who are on bench are better in real-time game on moments than Erman, so moving them back and him up would hurt the team.
3.  Brad feels that other coaches, like McCarty and Larranagga, are more what he needs for youth development and so he has that covered.
4.  Erman left the Celtics to go to GSW.  Danny brought him back out of loyalty and gave him another chance and now that Erman was talking about leaving again that closed the door for him.  Remember, Erman got fire from the job in GSW because he was taping conversations with coaches and players without their knowledge and permission.  That's a trust issue (and I am not, and have never been, a big Mark Jackson fan).
5.  Erman is from Louisville, KY.  Maybe he doesn't like the cold and jumped at the chance to be in The Big Easy.

You're right, I think, about Thibs. He doesn't need the step back, he might just need a year off, like Mike Antoni, who is now interviewing for the Nuggets job (will people never learn?). On the other hand, Alvin Gentry took a step back and is now back in the catbird seat in NOP. I don't think signing Thibs to a $3-$6M one-year contract would break Wyc's bank since coaches' salaries don't effect the salary cap.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:56 pm

I don't know about my heart being in the right place.  That's currently a subject of debate among some surgeons.  But Stevens seems like the type who welcomes professional help, and I know of no signs that he's easily intimidated.  My entire premise is based on his ability to collect $9 PLUS what the Celtics could pay.  (If that's not true, all bets are off.)  He knows the territory here.  I believe he and Danny get along (although I'm not 100% certain).

If he has head coach offers from other clubs, I expect he'd take one of them.  And you could be right that, once shed of the assistant tag, he wouldn't want to reassume it.  But I believe it's more of a possibility than might be the assumption at first glance.

One thing's for sure.  Depending on how many current Celtics will still be with the team next season, he could never have a bunch of more committed players to work with.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down