Hayward and the Inevitable C's Connection

+2
k_j_88
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Hayward and the Inevitable C's Connection Empty Hayward and the Inevitable C's Connection

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Hayward and inevitable C's connection
November, 5, 2013
NOV 5 12:45 PM ET
By ESPNBoston.com

The Utah Jazz visit the Boston Celtics on Wednesday night and Gordon Hayward will be a popular man given how he played for Brad Stevens at Butler. Forgive Boston fans if they are daydreaming of seeing Hayward in green in the future, particularly after the Jazz failed to work out an extension with him before the Halloween deadline to extend rookie pacts. Even ESPN.com's Marc Stein hinted at the possibility as part of his fearless predictions for the 2013-14 season:

Hayward and the Inevitable C's Connection Grant_g_gordon_cr_288x162
David Sherman/NBAE via Getty Images
Gordon Hayward a future target?

There are too many Hayward fans in front offices around the league for the former Butler star not to cost the Jazz more later than a deal would have cost them now, given how many teams are projected to have cap space and knowing that the price tags on restricted free agents are always higher than they seemingly should be because the bidders are trying to dissuade the home team from matching. ... The Suns and Boston Celtics -- just to name two franchises known to be big Hayward admirers with Jeff Hornacek and Brad Stevens running their respective benches -- are among those projected to have the cap space to put an uncomfortable offer on the table. Utah, of course, will have plenty of its own cap space to match a max offer if necessary, but doing a deal with Derrick Favors when Hayward might be an even bigger part of Utah’s future ... struck me as curious to say the least.

The Celtics would seemingly have to do an awful lot of trimming this season to put themselves in position to be offering max deals this offseason. That said, they do have that $10.3 million trade exception in their back pocket for potential sign-and-trade possibilities. Regardless, the Stevens-Hayward connection will leave Celtics fans dreaming of a Butler reunion in Boston.

bob
MY NOTE:  We have Green and Wallace.  Picking up an expensive SF without doing something with one of those two makes no sense to me.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Hayward and the Inevitable C's Connection Empty Re: Hayward and the Inevitable C's Connection

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:38 am

This crap is getting a lot of air time and it's starting to worry me. Yeah, Gordon Hayward's pretty good, but what do we need him for?

Who would we have to give up to get him? Utah won't take Wallace and I don't think, even with all his inconsistencies, Green is a fair straight up deal. Green can be a game changer, I don't think Hayward is nor ever will be.

I'm ok with getting Stevens the players he wants, and I know that bringing Hayward in here will get us a player who already knows "the Stevens Way" but I'm very leery of this deal.

UNLESS, they take Wallace. That's not going to happen, though.

bob
P.S. Yeah, I know the Wallace-Hayward numbers don't work, but Utah could tear up Hayward's contract and give him a new one that is more in line with what it would need to make this happen. Wallace makes $10M, so the minimum would have to be $7.5M (+/-25%). Another idea would be for Utah to throw a second player in and make the numbers work like that, but then we'd really want him to be someone we need since that would bring the roster to 15. Regardless, they're not taking Wallace. If they do, I'm kissing Danny's.......ring.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Hayward and the Inevitable C's Connection Empty Re: Hayward and the Inevitable C's Connection

Post by k_j_88 Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:32 pm

I don't wanna see another SF unless he's a legitimate superstar.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:01 pm

I am more than willing to give up Wallace, but no one wants him. He is going to be a tough sell to anyone.

After reading what he had to say in the papers and interviews on line, he has shown, as I have said, He just doesn't want to be here. That was obvious by his non appearance during the off season, his ranting about the team after games, and now this. How the heck do you get rid of a guy no one wants. This is the one trade piece that is backfiring on DA.

The thing is, you would think he was ;scoring 30 points a game, running crazy all over the court and be a piece you want to keep on the floor all game. He has made as many mistakes as anyone else out there.

I wish he would just close his mouth, but maybe this is his plan, tick off the Celtics enough to make a trade(to who I don't know),

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:17 pm

$10M/yr is looking harder and harder to swallow with each statement he makes.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:29 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I am more than willing to give up Wallace, but no one wants him. He is going to be a tough sell to anyone.  

After reading what he had to say in the papers and interviews on line, he has shown, as I have said, He just doesn't want to be here. That was obvious by his non appearance during the off season, his ranting about the team after games, and now this.  How the heck do you get rid of a guy no one wants.  This is the one trade piece that is backfiring on DA.  

The thing is, you would think he was ;scoring 30 points a game, running crazy all over the court and be a piece you want to keep on the floor all game. He has made as many mistakes as anyone else out there.  

I wish he would just close his mouth, but maybe this is his plan, tick off the Celtics enough to make a trade(to who I don't know),

Rosalie

Rosalie,

I don't think he needs to convince Danny to trade him, he's been trying to do that since Day 1 now.  Nobody wants the $30M that's left on his contract.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:42 pm

I know that but his thinking might be that if he makes enough noise in the locker room, talks against players, and keeps voicing his displeasure, he could force them to try and get rid of him.
Unfortunately, that $30 million dollar contract is working against him now. What a mess this is. Frankly, I do not know how he got that contract to start.

I knew this was a mistake from the beginning.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm not familiar with much that Wallace has said. Is he really a malcontent? Or could it be interpreted as stepping into a leadership vacuum to be a veteran saying that losing is unacceptable?

Although Rondo in many ways should be the leader of the team, he always let KG and Pierce take on the duties of being the veteran voice in the locker room and with the media. Given his personality and compounded by the situation of him still recovering from surgery, Rondo isn't doing that. Is Wallace just trying to fill that role?

They guy plays hard, expects his teammates to do the same, and isn't happy with losing, but isn't that okay? Is there something else that I've missed?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:18 pm

From what he's shown so far I make Wallace my favorite current Celtic, until Rondo returns anyway.  I wish we had one or two more with his intensity.

I'm guessing the Wallace references to his latest statements are from this article...

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/11/gerald_wallace_out_of_place

I don't have a problem with Wallace, except, of course, the size of his contract.  I think he's calling it like he sees it, and from the looks of games so far and in the pre-season, like it is.  We had no choice but to take him and his contract on in order to move our aging veterans and get valuable draft picks.  Part of the price of that trade was knowing we had to pay him for two years.  If he keeps the team from getting complacent during the short time he's likely to be here, that's good by me.  I don't think we're quite as bad as we've looked; maybe a little kick in the behind from a player who's been around the league for a while will be productive.

I hope he keeps turning up the heat on the rest of the team.  It's needed.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:39 pm

Just watch his actions on the court, his facial expressions, his body language. I realize that this is a lousy Celtics team right now, but having someone like that on your team on a day to day basis is a downer. Sure, he is right. They are not playing up to the way they should, but it is the fifth game, counting tonight, of the season. Did you expect miracles, I surely did not. I will be the first one to admit that the guy I am most disappointed in is Green, and he is the guy I wanted to see produce the most. There have been spurts, like the first half of the game the other night that he looked awesome, but, then he just disappeared. Sully looked good the other night, Olynck, hey he is going to be up and down. Bradley's defense has been good, offense up and down, down mostly. And, then we have Crawford. I will not say anything bad, I know Sam thinks we are ganging up on him!!!! (I have to tell you, when I
was telling my husband how crazy Crawford drives me some time, he said it must be the name
you can't stand Joe Crawford either) HAHA

Well, I will have to say that my favorite Celtic so far is Bass. He is playing his butt off.
Vitor has been the biggest surprise, a pleasant one. Let's see what happens when he goes against the big boys.

I have rambled enough, see you all tonight. I will say, I still love this team!

Rosalie

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:25 pm

With someone as active as Wallace, I believe his performance is the tipoff to any discontent. I haven't seen any falloff in his effort level.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down