Draft Roundup: D-Day Projection

3 posters

Go down

Draft Roundup:  D-Day Projection Empty Draft Roundup: D-Day Projection

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:41 pm

First of all, I'd like to thank everybody who was involved in the D-Day invasion 71 years ago today.  As Bill Clinton said on his 50th anniversary speech in Normandy, France on June 6, 1994:  "Today many of them are here among us. Oh, they may walk with a little less spring in their step, and their ranks are growing thinner. But let us never forget, when they were young, these men saved the world."

Amen.  God Bless them forever.

Moving forward and back on point...

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/06/2015_nba_mock_draft_roundup_tr.html

2015 NBA Mock Draft roundup: Sam Dekker, Christian Wood among players projected to Boston Celtics

Draft Roundup:  D-Day Projection 18016450-mmmain
Christian Wood could be a first-round pick in this month's NBA Draft. (AP photo)
Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on June 05, 2015 at 5:00 PM, updated June 05, 2015 at 5:01 PM

One game in, the NBA Finals are as fascinating as we could have hoped. Kyrie Irving's hurt (again), Stephen Curry's brilliant (still) and LeBron James is trying to reach the finish line while carrying a broken bobsled by himself. Golden State vs. Cleveland gives us the NBA's two best players, a dazzling clash of styles, and Timofey Mozgov continuing to change the meaning of his own verb. While the Warriors could run away with the series -- especially if Irving is ruled out for any period of time -- it's OK, for now, to dream about James persistently iso-ing through seven close games.

Of course, the Boston Celtics were eliminated from the playoffs a month ago and have already turned their attention to this month's NBA Draft. Instead of continuing to discuss a great Game 1, then, let's jump into a roundup of recent mock drafts:

DRAFTEXPRESS

16. Sam Dekker (Wisconsin)
28. Christian Wood (UNLV)

Brad Stevens wants the Celtics to add versatility, and Dekker, a 6-foot-9 forward, could help in that category. While he's not strong enough to guard many power forwards now, he has the size and mobility to potentially defend three positions -- the 2, 3 and 4 -- down the road. The biggest knock on Dekker in college was that he never emerged as a dominant force, but he produced efficiently within Wisconsin's system -- like he will be asked to do in the NBA.

Even if Jae Crowder returns, Boston could use an upgrade of size and athleticism on the wing. Dekker has a lot of ways he could potentially contribute, especially if he becomes more consistent with a streaky jumper. If he's around at No. 16, he could be a nice fit.

Wood emerged in a major way as a sophomore, but still has a lot of developing left. Still only 19, DraftExpress has described him as "one of the biggest boom or bust prospects in this draft." If everything pans out, he could become the rare big man who moves his feet, blocks shots and hits threes -- basically, the Celtics' dream. But they would need to wait for that version of Wood to evolve, if it ever does.

CHAD FORD, ESPN

16. Trey Lyles
28. Christian Wood

As a big man forced to play small forward -- capably -- at Kentucky, Lyles serves as an interesting prospect. He clearly has a feel for the game, and his skills are developed for a 19-year-old. Not many freshman big men stand 6-foot-10, possess 7-foot-2 wingspans and can shift over to the perimeter at the highest level of college basketball. Still, there are questions about Lyles' potential, as colleague Tom Westerholm pointed out here.

In addition to Wood, Ford noted the Celtics could consider center Robert Upshaw and power forward Chris McCullough late in the first round.

SI "COMMON SENSE" MOCK DRAFT

6. Willie Cauley-Stein (via trade)
16. *trade
28. *trade

Trading up is a possibility -- the Celtics have already let it be known they like some lottery prospects. In Sports Illustrated's "common sense" mock draft, they get one who would make sense, Willie Cauley-Stein, at the No. 6 pick.

To get the former Kentucky star, of course, the Celtics would have to move up. SI has them sending the 16th, 28th and 33rd picks to Sacramento for the rights to select the best defensive big man in the draft. Would that actually be enough to secure the Kings pick? Given the type of talent still available at that slot, maybe not. Rather than moving down, Sacramento could want to take another shot at landing a franchise player to pair with DeMarcus Cousins.

Regardless, Boston will look into what it would cost to move up -- for Cauley-Stein or someone else -- before deciding whether to keep its current picks.

USA TODAY

16. Bobby Portis
28. Robert Upshaw

Portis rebounds, defends, and wants to work as hard as Kevin Garnett. While that might not be possible, the Arkansas product does have one of the best big man motors in the draft -- he figures to help a team with his hustle and size, at least.

The 7-foot-tall Upshaw would be more of a risk -- he was dismissed from two different college teams -- but also has the potential to one day anchor an NBA defense. Read more on him here.
 http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/05/2015_nba_draft_boston_celtics.html

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Draft Roundup:  D-Day Projection Empty Re: Draft Roundup: D-Day Projection

Post by wide clyde Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:17 pm

Outside of remembering the men who served during the D Day Invasion (my dad was one of the ones who made it home), this article really does not tell us much more than has been written over and over again.

It was interesting to see four of the draft prognosticators only mention one guy twice (Wood) as a Celtics possibility. Still lots and lots of options for Ainge. I am sure that he wakes up dreaming of the many possibilities that will be available to him each night.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:25 pm

wide clyde wrote:Outside of remembering the men who served during the D Day Invasion (my dad was one of the ones who made it home), this article really does not tell us much more than has been written over and over again.

It was interesting to see four of the draft prognosticators only mention one guy twice (Wood) as a Celtics possibility.  Still lots and lots of options for Ainge.  I am sure that he wakes up dreaming of the many possibilities that will be available to him each night.

clyde,

What I don't understand is why everybody is so convinced we need to, and will, draft a SF. We have Turner, who is only 26. We have James Young, who isn't even old enough to drink. We could have Gigi, who has tons of experience and is still only 27. We also have Wallace on the roster, if for no other reason that we can't unload his contract. So why do we need to get another SF? I understand "drafting the best player available", especially down at the bottom of the 1st round, but they seem to think we should completely ignore needs.

I'd rather take a chance on either Upshaw or that 6'6" Brazilian point guard, de Paula, than take a player at a position we're already 3 deep in, and those are just the players we already have under contract.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Sorry, today there IS no other point.  At least not in this corner.

Yesterday, it was about basketball.  Tomorrow will be about basketball.

But, in our household, today is completely given over to gratitude for what Pvt.Peter Robert Zanatta and all his D-Day comrades did for the world.  In 1984, President Reagan (not my political favorite) gave a spell-binding speech at the American Cemetery in France, telling among other things about a letter he had received from the daughter of Pvt. Zanatta, who had died eight years earlier.  Pvt. Zaatta had hoped in vain to return to Omaha Beach; but his daughter, Lisa Zanatta Henn, promised him that,  "I'm going there, Dad, and I'll see the beaches and the barricades and the monuments. I'll see the graves, and I'll put flowers there just like you wanted to do. I'll never forget what you went through, Dad, nor will I let any one else forget. And, Dad, I'll always be proud."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgDZdFQY3iM

My wife and I were fortunate to be standing by the reflecting pool, about 40 yards behind Ms. Henn, at that ceremony.  Ever since, I've tried to track her down to let her know what the service of her father, and others like him, meant to me.  I've pinned down the California town where she lives, but I can't get a current phone number or even a current street address.  Information has given me two allegedly current phone numbers that are no longer in service.  I've paid people-finding services to no avail.  But I will never rest in this quest, because I believe it was meant to be.

Here's to the heroes of D-Day.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:35 pm

bob,

There is no question in my mind that there will be plenty of options at the small forward position after the draft. The current Celtics you mentioned were certainly not terrible at filling the spot this past season, and can likely do the same or better next year. I would like to think that a better outside shooter at this position will increase the overall level of productivity at this position (Ditome can shoot, but plays such a weak defense that he has to be a bench player just like he was this year even if the fans like him), but the better outside shooter is not my first choice in helping the team win 50 next year.

Getting a center who can at least make opponents heading toward the basket change their shots is much more important. Zeller is not bad in one on one defense but he never forces shots to be altered. Sullinger, Olynyk and Bass are just not acceptable centers in my book. If any of these three have to play any extended minutes at center again next season, I will have to think that Ainge's summer of 2015 was not as successful as I have hoped.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down