Kelly Olynyk Working Out In Utah With Summer League Team: 'I Want To Be Around'

3 posters

Go down

Kelly Olynyk Working Out In Utah With Summer League Team:  'I Want To Be Around' Empty Kelly Olynyk Working Out In Utah With Summer League Team: 'I Want To Be Around'

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:53 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/07/kelly_olynyk_flies_to_utah_wit.html#incart_story_package

Kelly Olynyk working out in Utah with Boston Celtics summer league team: 'I want to be around'

Kelly Olynyk Working Out In Utah With Summer League Team:  'I Want To Be Around' 17435882-mmmain
FILE: Boston Celtics' Kelly Olynyk, left, takes a pass in front of Toronto Raptors' Greivis Vasquez, center, and Patrick Patterson during the first half of an NBA basketball game Saturday, April 4, 2015, in Toronto. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Chris Young)
Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on July 05, 2015 at 6:10 PM, updated July 05, 2015 at 11:58 PM

SALT LAKE CITY -- Kelly Olynyk won't play with the Boston Celtics in this week's Utah summer league, but that didn't stop him from joining the team on its cross-country trip. Before Sunday's practice, there he was, firing up threes, working up a sweat, setting an example for the younger players to follow.

"I'm not sure why Kelly's here," cracked assistant coach Jay Larranaga, who will serve as the head coach in Utah.

But Olynyk has been training in the Boston area for the past month and a half, and has even participated in some drills throughout the summer league practices. When the Celtics invited him to Utah, he saw little reason not to join his younger teammates for at least part of the trip.

"You've got access to impeccable facilities in Waltham, in Boston, and you've got all the knowledge here (in Utah) of coaches and trainers," Olynyk said. "Not only the strength trainers, but medical trainers, a massage. Whatever you need is here. Why go somewhere else and pay for it all? They want you to be around. I want to be around. It's the perfect storm."

Since the season ended, Olynyk said he has been working on getting his shot quicker and more consistent, taking shots off closeouts, driving closeouts, and increasing his defensive mobility. It's nothing new, he said, but fine-tuning for parts of his game that have been focus areas.

The Celtics plan for Olynyk to participate in some of the defensive drills this week. During the summer, the team encourages players to take some time away from the grind, but welcomes anyone who wants to work out with the staff. Other players who have spent time in the practice facility include James Young, Tyler Zeller, Marcus Smart, Phil Pressey and Chris Babb.

"I think it's the culture Coach (Brad) Stevens is creating here," said Larranaga. "We like having guys around. We've had a lot of guys at the facility this summer working on their games, coming back just to say hello. Hopefully we'll get some guys out here in Utah. We'll have some guys maybe come to (Las) Vegas (where the Celtics begin another summer league next week). You saw Kevin Durant yesterday supporting (the Oklahoma City Thunder's) summer league team, and I think that's just the right example to set. Kelly is one of our younger guys, but he's on the right path in that way."

The Celtics have always praised Olynyk's work ethic, and his younger teammates notice the hours he spends in the gym.

"It just shows a lot about Kelly. He didn't have to be here," Smart said. "Nor (did) Phil (Pressey, who will play some summer league games). They didn't have to come. They asked the coaches if they could participate. Because of the type of players that they are, their work ethic, they want to get better. And what better way than during the summer, when everybody else is probably on vacation."

Added Larranaga, "We have great leadership with our owners, with Danny (Ainge), with Coach Stevens, and we have some really prideful and humble players. I think our roster is starting to take shape, and the character of the people on the roster is pretty darn good. So that's a big step when you're trying to start a culture."

bob
MY NOTE:  I'm very glad to see that people have been working hard all summer.  It's nice that he's working on getting his shot off faster but what he really needs to focus on is shooting.  Period.  That's the biggest reason why he's in the NBA.  He's 7'0", can shoot from anywhere and can pass with excellent court vision.  If he doesn't shoot and just passes the ball around the horn on top then he's not utilizing his strengths.  He needs to looks for his shot and he needs to take them.  It's as simple as that.  If he does that then he'll be an asset on this team or on another one.  Both he and Sully have deficiencies in their games:  Kelly's not strong and aggressive enough and Sully's fat and slow.  You can build up strength and get aggressive.  Losing weight, keeping it off and gaining speed and full court running ability is not as easy.  Kelly needs to stop being such a Canadian and start being more of an asshole with a chip on his shoulder. If he improves his defensive mobility that will do wonders for our perimeter defense. Perimeter defense isn't just guard-on-guard, it's also pick-defender-jumping-out-on-ball and baseline-defender-rotating-over-quickly. Kelly keeps teasing us with glimpses of becoming Dirk 2.0. He just has to embrace that and do it regularly.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kelly Olynyk Working Out In Utah With Summer League Team:  'I Want To Be Around' Empty Re: Kelly Olynyk Working Out In Utah With Summer League Team: 'I Want To Be Around'

Post by Sam Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:40 pm

Got to give Kelly "A" for effort.  I believe effort will be a pervasive signature of the '15-'16 Celtics, and it's good to see it burgeoning in the summer.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Kelly Olynyk Working Out In Utah With Summer League Team:  'I Want To Be Around' Empty Re: Kelly Olynyk Working Out In Utah With Summer League Team: 'I Want To Be Around'

Post by wide clyde Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:43 pm

I think that Olynyk being with the summer league team is also super. Part of the type of things that pull a team together. He could be doing just about anything else, but is out there in Utah with his team.

50 wins next season!

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down