The Summer League Difference

+2
worcester
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

The Summer League Difference Empty The Summer League Difference

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:16 pm

http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/7/15/8965225/boston-celtics-summer-league-terry-rozier-rj-hunter-jordan-mickey-marcus-thornton

The summer league difference
By wjsy on Jul 15, 2015, 3:10p 23

The Summer League Difference GettyImages-467903984.0
Elsa/Getty Images

On draft night, there was a big difference between what Danny Ainge thought of his rookie class and what fans wanted/expected. After six summer league games in Utah and Las Vegas, that gap is getting smaller.

For many, the 2015 summer league won't make a big difference. It's a mainly an avenue for undrafted players to showcase themselves one last time. There's the case of summer Celtic C.J. Fair. After a promising college career at Syracuse, he went undrafted last year and after completing a decent season in the D-League and showing flashes in Utah and Las Vegas, it's doubtful he'll find an NBA team this summer.  Colton Iverson never even played a game in Celtic green before signing another overseas contract for his third straight season abroad. The hard truth for a large majority of these players is that the summer league won't be a ticket to the NBA.

But for some, summer league is an opportunity to prove why they may be difference makers for the team that drafted them. Ninety-one underclassmen and international players declared early for the draft this year and that's not including the dozens of graduating seniors eligible, too. #16. #28. #33. #45. That's the implied value that Danny Ainge and the rest of the NBA GM's gave Terry Rozier, R.J. Hunter, Jordan Mickey, and Marcus Thornton at June's draft. They'll sign contracts later this month that will quantify their value even further, but ultimately, they'll separate themselves even further when they start making a difference on the floor.

So much of the difference lives on defense. Ainge has not drafted a star--Rondo notwithstanding--in his GM tenure in Boston, but he has found success in the mid to late first round selecting defense first players like Avery Bradley and Tony Allen. Rozier and Mickey are of that mold.

Since being the surprise reach in the draft, people have been pointing to Rozier's speed as the primary reason that Danny picked him so high. He's shown they burst in spurts this summer, but his ability to finish just isn't there yet. His jumper is a work in progress as well, but what's remained consistent has been his doggedness on defense. Paired with Smart in the back court, opposing teams have struggled initiating their offense. Summer league squads run stripped down versions of the pro club's playbook. In a set, you might see a team generate three good looks in 24 seconds; with Rozier pestering the front court, you're seeing unprepared teams settling for 4th and 5th options that just don't exist.

Mickey has been just as impressive on the back line. After leading the nation in blocked shots, he's averaged 2.5 blocks this summer along with a double-double in Vegas. At 6'7, he doesn't have traditional rim protector size, but he's long and very athletic. What I've found most impressive with him is his ability to not only clean up his teammates' mistakes on defense, but his own, too. And the simple threat of him coming from the weak side to contest a shot has made a big difference. I don't know how many times I've seen a player drive hard, catch Mickey in the corner of his eye, pump fake, and have his defender regain defensive position. Without actually making a play on the ball, Mickey is making a play on the ball.

The difference hasn't only been on D. This is not to say that R.J. Hunter isn't a good defender because he's actually held his own, but Hunter is a shooter. He started in Utah with two 0-for games but made a splash in the team's final game against the Spurs, hitting 4-for-4 from behind the arc. For a guy with his stroke, seeing it go through the net a few times made a big difference because since arriving in Vegas, he's been a different player. He's only shot 6-for-19 from three, but he's been more of a playmaker and got to the line 23 times in just three games. For Hunter, the difference maker is his jump shot, because it not only opens up the rest of his game, but it then subsequently creates for the rest lf his team. That's Brad Stevens 101.

If that final game in Utah was Hunter's coming out party, Marcus Thornton's was against Miami on Tuesday. He played sparingly in the first five games, but in the finale of Vegas' opening round, he showed why Danny took a flyer on him at #45. The William & Mary product is a decent size at 6'4, but he has the water bug game of somebody smaller. Thornton's strength doesn't fit the prototypical NBA difference maker. He's not extremely quick or strong. However, he is patient. He'll wait you out until you make a mistake. If you're a big man that gets caught up in a PnR switch, you'll get toasted. Back up too much and Thornton will hit you with his J. Bite on a pump fake and he'll zip right pass you. He's probably a Eurostash or full-time Red Claw next year, but the kid can play.

The difference also comes in time. The Celtics are flush with talent this season. There may not be a stand out superstar in the bunch, but there are enough returning players from the team that finished last year 24-12 and a few look-see vets that these rookies may be a year away from actually contributing. But if they progress as quickly as they have over the last six games, who knows?

I will say this: after getting a chance to see this team up close in Vegas, you can see this team gelling under the leadership of guys like Smart, Rozier, and Hunter. They're vocal in the games and maybe even louder on the bench, calling out coverages and cheering on guys that they probably won't see next week. Ainge and Stevens always talk about the importance of creating a culture and forming a foundation for the rebuild with high character players. This may just be the summer league, but you can definitely see the difference here, too.

bob
MY NOTE:  He made an excellent point when he said that summer league teams are only running stripped down pro sets with 3 or 4 options and that a harrying defense will put them in a position where they don't know what comes next.  THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN DURING THE SEASON.  What may happen during the season is that the opposing defense will throw something at them and they will not have learned the 5th or 6th option off of Brad's offensive set and they'll get blown up.  That's more likely.  That's also why you see championship teams with only one, maybe 2 rookies on them.  They are not assets if you think you are positioned to go deep into the playoffs. Nevertheless, I agree with all his points about the players.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Summer League Difference Empty Re: The Summer League Difference

Post by worcester Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Magic was quite a rookie starter on his 1st Laker championship team. The exception that proves the rule?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:36 pm

worcester wrote:Magic was quite a rookie starter on his 1st Laker championship team. The exception that proves the rule?

So was Larry Legend and Bill Russell. Yes, they are exceptions.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:31 pm

Exceptional exceptoons indeed.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:14 am

Personally, I thought the term "water bug" made the entire article. The perfect description of Thornton in particular. His feet must each hit the floor 20-30 times in a given defensive stand. He counters each offensive move of his opponent with one-and-a-half of his own, and the opponent is really at a loss as to what to do. And, at 6' 4," Thornton minimizes the opponent's option of just plain shooting over him (unlike Avery Bradley).

Bob Heckler and I always seem to pick out one Summer League player whom we find ourselves rooting for even after he drifts into relative obscurity. This year's Summer League has, indeed, been different. I can't speak for Bob. (Who could?) But I'm seeing six guys on the Celtics squad who could potentially wind up becoming impact players somewhere. Between them, they offer a variety of intriguing abilities.

But the one thing they have shared has been a sense of poise. They almost look as though they enjoy adversity, which only spurs them on to another level in their performances.

I have a feeling that this year, Bob and I won't be trying to remember how to spell the name of that guy we fell in love with during the summer. We'll just have to look on a Celtics program or, even better, on the floor of TD Garden to identify several of them.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:35 am

Of our five rookies*, only Mickey shot less than like 79% from the FT line last season in college. They're all at least 21 years old, they all have good jump shots, and they all cover a lot of ground for their positions. Hunter is the least athletic but he has superb length for a SG.

They're also all:

Smart
Motivated
Experienced
Polished
High ceiling, high floor
Two way players

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:48 am

Here are some reckless and irresponsible best-case-scenario comparisons for our rookies:

Holmes: Paul Millsap
Mickey: Josh Smith
Rozier: Jeff Teague
Hunter: Kyle Korver
Thornton: Dennis Schroeder/Lou Williams hybrid

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:48 am

SMEPHT
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:23 am

rambone wrote:Here are some reckless and irresponsible best-case-scenario comparisons for our rookies:

rambone,

Mickey turning into Josh Smith? I sure hope not. Besides, Mickey is a shot blocker and Smith isn't. Smith is a conscienceless 3pt gunner, Mickey isn't (unless Brad tells him to). I am more likely to see Mickey as a poor-man's Ibaka.

I can see the other comparisons. Here's hoping!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:23 am

worcester wrote:SMEPHT

worcester,

WTFDATM?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:29 am

bobheckler wrote:

worcester,

WTFDATM?

bob

Smart
Motivated
Experienced
Polished
High ceiling, high floor
Two way players

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:52 pm

Gyso is sure on top of his acronym game!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Interesting to see Holmes included with the four drafted guys. He has certainly come on strong, and doesn't seem at all to be a flash in the pan. A big, strong guy who can shoot from distance? $$$

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:49 pm

worcester wrote:Gyso is sure on top of his acronym game!

WTFDATM?

I got this one . . .

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday = Days After The Midweek

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:31 pm

gyso wrote:

WTFDATM?

I got this one . . .

Gyso,

Strike one.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:34 pm

wtf dat mean?

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:40 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:

WTFDATM?

I got this one . . .

Gyso,

Strike one.

bob

I took that strike looking!

Then you will have to come clean . . . what does all that mean? (LOL)

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:08 pm

lol, it has a ring to it. That's the noise Pappa Smurf makes when he sleeps.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:13 pm

bobheckler wrote:
rambone wrote:Here are some reckless and irresponsible best-case-scenario comparisons for our rookies:

rambone,

Mickey turning into Josh Smith?  I sure hope not.  Besides, Mickey is a shot blocker and Smith isn't.  Smith is a conscienceless 3pt gunner, Mickey isn't (unless Brad tells him to).  I am more likely to see Mickey as a poor-man's Ibaka.  

I can see the other comparisons.  Here's hoping!

bob

Bob, Josh Smith was an perennial All Defense candidate in his younger days, and spent a lot more time scoring in the paint. All Defense Second Team in 2010.
Josh Smith
NBA records[edit]
Youngest player in NBA history to record:

10 blocked shots in a game, Atlanta Hawks at Dallas Mavericks, December 18, 2004 (19 years, 13 days)
500 career blocked shots, Atlanta Hawks vs. New York Knicks, March 3, 2007 (21 years, 88 days) (206 games)
1,000 career blocked shots, Atlanta Hawks at Oklahoma City Thunder, February 2, 2010 (24 years, 59 days) (423 games)

Last edited by rambone on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:16 pm

What The Fudge Does All That Mean?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:33 pm

It means he has talent but lacks the decision-making dimension.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:35 pm

So glad he never became a Celtic.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:38 pm

Remember when some of us were thinking the connection between Josh and Rondo would form a strong alliance that would be of great help to the celtics?

Wrong!

Sam

Last edited by sam on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:44 am

sam wrote:Personally, I thought the term "water bug" made the entire article.  The perfect description of Thornton in particular.  His feet must each hit the floor 20-30 times in a given defensive stand.  He counters each offensive move of his opponent with one-and-a-half of his own, and the opponent is really at a loss as to what to do.  And, at 6' 4," Thornton minimizes the opponent's option of just plain shooting over him (unlike Avery Bradley).

Bob Heckler and I always seem to pick out one Summer League player whom we find ourselves rooting for even after he drifts into relative obscurity.  This year's Summer League has, indeed, been different.  I can't speak for Bob.  (Who could?)  But I'm seeing six guys on the Celtics squad who could potentially wind up becoming impact players somewhere.  Between them, they offer a variety of intriguing abilities.

But the one thing they have shared has been a sense of poise.  They almost look as though they enjoy adversity, which only spurs them on to another level in their performances.

I have a feeling that this year, Bob and I won't be trying to remember how to spell the name of that guy we fell in love with during the summer.  We'll just have to look on a Celtics program or, even better, on the floor of TD Garden to identify several of them.

Sam

agreed Thornton is showing improvement, but his defense is no where near AB's level now or even when we only saw glimpes of Avery in his first year, because he was always injured that first year. Roziers defense is alot closer to AB's level than Thornton IMHO.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down