Terry Rozier Looks To Quiet The Noise

2 posters

Go down

Terry Rozier Looks To Quiet The Noise Empty Terry Rozier Looks To Quiet The Noise

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:55 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2015/07/terry_rozier_looks_to_quiet_the_noise

Terry Rozier looks to quiet the noise

Terry Rozier Looks To Quiet The Noise 070615rozier2
Photo by: AP
IN CONTROL: Celtics first-round pick Terry Rozier wasn’t the most popular selection on draft night, but the Louisville guard is eager to win over the hearts of C’s fans.

Monday, July 20, 2015 PrintEmail0 Comments
By:  Steve Bulpett

LAS VEGAS — Terry Rozier was miles away from the vocal disappointment in Boston, when his name was announced as the 16th overall pick on draft night. While the people at the Celtics’ draft party booed and groaned, Rozier, fully dressed, jumped into a pool.

“When my name got called, people were just screaming,” he said. “I couldn’t hear anything. I was so happy just seeing how my family felt.”

Danny Ainge heard. He was downstairs from the ballroom at the Seaport Hotel, but the reaction by the season ticket-holders and guests could be heard and felt.

The Celtics president of basketball operations knew from experience not to worry about the response.

“Some of the best draft picks that I’ve ever been associated with were ones that weren’t received well,” Ainge said. “The first one that comes to mind was Steve Nash, when I was coaching Phoenix. People wanted us to take John Wallace from Syracuse. The fans went ballistic. It was just not well received at all.”

Nash was a steal at 15 in the 1996 draft. Wallace went three picks later and had an undistinguished career with five teams. (That was also the draft that saw the Celts take Antoine Walker at six, while Kobe Bryant went at 13.)

“Another I remember is when we drafted Shawn Marion, and everyone thought for sure we should have taken Corey Maggette, who turned out to be a good player also, but Shawn obviously has had an amazing career,” said Ainge, whose Suns got Marion at nine (Maggette went to Seattle at 15 and was traded that night to Orlando). “Those are just two picks that stand out in my mind.”

Rozier seems to understand the whims of a fan base — particularly one that was expecting a more familiar name to come rolling off commissioner Adam Silver’s lips when it came time for the Celtics’ pick. But he’s ready to change some minds.

“Listen, I get it,” said the 6-foot-1 guard. “I know the Boston fans are all about their basketball. They probably were looking for a big name that they had projected.

“But I would say that the fans will end up falling in love with me. I give 110 percent, and that’s in practice and every game and everything. So I think those boos will turn around to be yeas. That’s my goal. I know the people here are serious about their basketball, and I am, too. I think it will all turn out fine.

“You never want to hear your name get booed, but it’s fine. I’m not going to let it bother me because I know what type of guy I am. I know the fans are going to end up falling in love with me and how I play the game.”

Rozier already has Ainge’s affection, and Ainge is unaffected by exterior opinions.

“You can draft the person that the people think you should draft, or you can draft the player that you think is best,” he said. “Ultimately it comes down to who plays the best, and I have a strong belief in Terry — not just his talent, but who he is as a person and his work ethic. His athleticism and makeup are what really attracted me to him, and I’m really excited about him.

“I don’t think it’s going to take long for our fans to understand how good a player he is. Terry’s just a fierce competitor and a great athlete, and those kind of guys are some of my favorites — you know, Delonte (West) and Tony (Allen) and Avery (Bradley). I love those kind of guys.”

Rozier believes he fits in very well with that crowd. And although he isn’t all that large, he thinks his frame can handle the chip on his shoulder. Much like Paul Pierce going after each of the nine teams who passed on him in 1998, Rozier has some things he’d like to show those who picked ahead and those who think he went too high.

“All my life I’ve been playing like that,” he said. “The first 15 teams that passed on me … you know, I’m just excited to be in this position. I’m ready for this.”

Interestingly, Rozier has come across as a calm and relaxed sort thus far.

“I just know that every time I step on the court I’m another person,” he said. “I’m locked in. I want to win. I’m competing as hard as I can.

“I’m not an angry person off the court, but I want my opponent’s best, and I’m going to give my best. I’m just all about competing.”

And changing the draft night opinion of Celtics fans.

bob
MY NOTE:  He's off to a good start.  He even has Cowens second-guessing himself and that's like trying to turn around a Carnival cruise ship.  Excellent point about Danny drafting Steve Nash at Phoenix, when he was just a slow-footed, unathletic white Canadian kid from UC Santa Clara. Danny doesn't get credit for that with us because he was with Phoenix and not the Celtics but he still showed he can see things in players others don't.  Another good point was about Danny's predecessor picking 'Toine @ #6 when Kobe, Nash and a few others were still available.  It's even harder now, because players are coming out at 18 and 19 years old, only one year out of high school ball.  What do you base your decision upon?  Not their well-documented film history or demonstrations of being able to rise to the occasion in multiple NCAA tournaments. Rozier should be just fine...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Terry Rozier Looks To Quiet The Noise Empty Re: Terry Rozier Looks To Quiet The Noise

Post by Sam Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:27 pm

It's been quite a while since I posted about the fact that we now live in an "instant gratification" society. People want immediate results in practically everything in their lives, and they have tools at their disposal to register opinions instantly.

That can put a lot of pressure on athletes to produce instantly, and it's not surprising if some of them wilt under the pressure. But I'm happy to say that the Celtics' four picks don't seem to be wilting. In fact, all four of them turned up their performances a notch or two during Summer League. Give them a summer of self-improvement (hopefully with the suggestions of the Celtics ringing in their ears), and they should be ready for a spirited training camp. Give them a couple of weeks at a spirited training camp, and—whether or not all will stick with the team—they should all be well ahead of when they were selected on draft night.

Go kids!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down