Summer Quandaries 7: Ainge Not Fickle In His Affections

Go down

Summer Quandaries 7: Ainge Not Fickle In His Affections  Empty Summer Quandaries 7: Ainge Not Fickle In His Affections

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:11 pm

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2015/08/sq7-ainge-not-fickle-in-his-affections.html

SQ7 Ainge Not Fickle in His Affections

By Lee Lauderdale

Summer Quandaries 7: Ainge Not Fickle In His Affections  YinYangBasketballgreenSQ

Many general managers of NBA franchises blow in any direction with the slightest breeze. Often on the hot seat and threatened with the loss of their jobs, they eagerly embrace the latest fad, probably hoping that their tenure will at least last through the trial period. Get a big point guard, find a 3-and-D wing, go all-in for the latest breakout-season darling; it seems that there is no end of fashionable “new” approaches. At the other end of the spectrum, we find the Celtics' leader—comfortable with his relationship with his owners, choosing adroitly and sticking with his coaches, and with the memory of an elephant when it comes to players that catch his eye. Danny Ainge is far from whimsical in his enchantments.

This summers' acquisitions are a prime example. He tried to woo David Lee when he hit free agency five years ago. Then Lee chased the money, but now he seems pretty pleased to be joining the resurgent Celtics. Ten years ago, when Amir Johnson was still available as the C's second-round pick approached, Danny tried to get Orion Greene to forgo Ainge's promise to draft him. Ainge did so with an offer to sign him to a free-agent contract should Greene not be picked in the remaining seven selections after Boston exercised their choice at 53. The reason was the fact that the high-schooler Amir had slipped deep into the second round, a fact thought unlikely by Ainge. Orion balked, Danny kept his promise, and Johnson was taken 56th by Detroit. A decade later when Toronto decided their both-ends efficient veteran was expendable, Danny pounced, and Amir, remembering Ainge's interest on that long-ago draft night, eagerly came “home” where he had always been wanted and welcome. If Danny likes what he sees in a player but can't acquire them, he remember, and watches, and waits, and acts when the opportunity appears.

Take a look at Danny's coaching hires since becoming head of basketball operations with the Celtics. Doc Rivers was doing color commentary on televised games after being fired by the Orlando Magic; when Ainge plucked him from the announcer's chair to lead Boston's rebuild from the sidelines. Nine years later, when Doc balked at undergoing a second rebuild, Danny pried a first round pick out of the L. A. Clippers for the privilege of giving Rivers the coaching job he wanted. At the time Doc Rivers was the longest tenured coach in the NBA, unless, of course, you want to count Popovich who had led San Antonio since sometime during the last ice age. No fickle affair there, and when Doc wanted to go, Ainge moved him to the franchise of Rivers' choice. Enter Brad Stevens, on an unprecedented 6-year contract, plucked from a mid-major college, into an NBA setting that had chewed up and spit out college wanna-be's for decades. Think Danny hadn't been following Brad for years? I don't know the Latin for it but I'm pretty sure there should be an inscription below the BIA (Boston Intelligence Agency) seal on the door of the Celtics' basketball office: He came, he saw, he remembered.

And now a value added subscript for this post, as I researched some of the dates for this article, I came across a delightful and informative piece on Ainge by Ian Thomsen (this is the second time I've run across his work and felt inspired to share it with my readers), I highly recommend it:
http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/ian_thomsen/02/17/celtics-gm-danny-ainge-finding-balance-in-rebuild/

Only 59 days until camp

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down