Pacers' Paul George not pleased about move to power forward

5 posters

Go down

Pacers' Paul George not pleased about move to power forward Empty Pacers' Paul George not pleased about move to power forward

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:09 am

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2015-09-24/pacers-paul-george-not-pleased-about-move-to-power-forward-nba-basketball

Pacers' Paul George not pleased about move to power forward

Pacers' Paul George not pleased about move to power forward Image-scaler

By Ron Clements
@Ron_Clements
Published on Sep. 24, 2015

When Paul George entered the NBA in 2010, he was a 6-9 shooting guard. He was later moved to small forward and was a two-time All-Star at the position.

Pacers coach Frank Vogel wants to change things up, so George is facing another new position and he's "not too thrilled" about it.

Vogel, Indiana's coach since 2011, told the Indianapolis Star on Thursday that he sees a starting lineup of George Hill at point guard, Monta Ellis at the two, C.J. Miles playing the three with Ian Mahinmi at center and George as the power forward.

“Um, you know it’s, uh, I was open for — to try it out,” George told USA Today. “It’s definitely a change. It’s something new. We’ll see how it goes. As the season goes, it might be better for me to just be at my regular position. But I told them I was open to the situation and (we’ll) see where it goes.”

The Pacers missed the playoffs last season after going 38-44 a year removed from the Eastern Conference Finals. Reshuffling the lineup apparently wasn't Vogel's idea, with president of basketball operations Larry Bird telling NBATV in July that he's the one who gave Vogel the idea.

“I’m the one who thinks he can play the four,” Bird said then. “I think the mismatches on the offensive end are greater than the defensive liability he’ll have. I think he can handle it.”

George played in just six games last season after gruesomely breaking his leg during Team USA minicamp last August. Bird told reporters Thursday that George looks "pretty good" and stronger than he did before the injury.

"He runs a little different than he did last year," Bird said, via The Associated Press. "He looks stronger. He stops better. He looks like Paul George to me."

George, the 10th overall pick out of Fresno State in the 2010 NBA Draft, said he knows he can play the four, but is concerned about the wear and tear of playing the position over the course of a season.

"It’s just being outmatched strength-wise with guys at the four spot is really the only concern," George told USA Today. "It’s not really the concern for one game. It’s the concern just over the course of a season just how my body would take it, especially coming off the injury that I had and a whole year of rehabbing. Just not sure of how it’s going to take it. (We’ll) start camp, see how camp goes.

"Again, I’m not too thrilled on it, but it could change the more comfortable I get at the position. But we’ll see. But again, I could very much end up loving it, so it’s all up in the air. I’m open to the position.”

bob
MY NOTE: Would I love Paul George in green? Of course. He has been named NBA All-League 2x. What would we have to give up for him? Well, one thing we know is that Larry won't take Evan Turner as part of the deal. Even so, you know Danny will be sticking his nose into the middle seeing if there are any crumbs he can pick up, at the minimum. It is precisely these type of grumblings that create opportunities, either directly or indirectly, and break top players loose.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Pacers' Paul George not pleased about move to power forward Empty Re: Pacers' Paul George not pleased about move to power forward

Post by dboss Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:02 pm

There is a trend where we are seeing more SF also swing to the PF spot. That trend is in keeping with the trend to play more small ball.

George however is not as strong as Lebron James or Carmelo Anthony so I can appreciate his concern regarding the wear and tear factor.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Pacers' Paul George not pleased about move to power forward Empty Re: Pacers' Paul George not pleased about move to power forward

Post by wide clyde Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:04 pm

Guys who complain about playing any certain positions really amaze and anger me at the same time. How about giving the coach the benefit of the doubt and learn the new position, go through some exhibition games, etc before complaining.

The league is going smaller and smaller every year. I am sure that this big man is not going to be too "small" to play the power forward on most any night. And, when he is outsized a bit all he has to do is take his bigger opponent further from the basket and play just like the small forward he has been for years.

Whining about playing a position really bothers me. Just be happy that you have the talent to play in the best league in the world while getting paid tons of money to do so. What a tough life?

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:02 pm

I can see where Paul is coming from.
He was asked about the change and he answered honestly.
He didn't say no but is not thrilled about playing PF.
I would think part of it is who he might be losing the starting SF job to.
CJ Miles. Really, what has CJ ever done to earn a starting job in the NBA?
I bet if Indiana signed Tobias Harris to play SF, then Paul George would be more receptive to the idea of moving to PF.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:35 pm

Objecting to change is not that uncommon. Some old timers still pine for the days when the low post game of the big man was so dominant. It's easy to get set in ones way of viewing things.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

I really see nothing wrong with what he said.

It appears to me that he is simply concerned that from a pure physical standpoint he has concerns about playing that position.  I like his candor and he did say he would see how it works for him.  For all we know he may end up loving the position since on the other end most PF can no match up with him either.

Some coaches have a really bad habit of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

We have seen it in Boston.  Asking guys to play PG but they can't, asking guys to play center but they can't,...etc..

While the pendulum has swung over to the small ball side it will come back to the middle.

The perfect balance to me is having an elite post scorer surrounded by guys that can dribble penetrate and/or shoot the ball from behind the arc.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down