Perry Jones hopes find a home in Celtics’ crowded frontcourt

4 posters

Go down

Perry Jones hopes find a home in Celtics’ crowded frontcourt Empty Perry Jones hopes find a home in Celtics’ crowded frontcourt

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:42 pm

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/09/27/perry-jones-hopes-make-his-mark-crowded-celtics-frontcourt/jsEJGT7Ij3QW8FzWjIwqWJ/story.html

Perry Jones hopes find a home in Celtics’ crowded frontcourt

Perry Jones hopes find a home in Celtics’ crowded frontcourt A52bcfe6585f4207bb3bc4e413c8284e-a52bcfe6585f4207bb3bc4e413c8284e-0
Perry Jones (left) hopes to muscle his way onto the Celtics roster.
MARY SCHWALM/ASSOCIATED PRESS

By Gary Washburn GLOBE STAFF  SEPTEMBER 28, 2015

WALTHAM — Rather obscure on the Celtics roster is a player who was considered a can’t-miss lottery pick following his freshman season at Baylor. He returned for his sophomore season and dropped to the bottom of the first round.

His draft late in the first round by the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2012 was considered another general manager Sam Presti coup, but it never quite worked out that way.

Perry Jones played in 143 games over three seasons for Oklahoma City, averaging at best 14.7 minutes and 4.3 points per game.

The Thunder traded the 6-foot-11-inch Jones to the Celtics for a conditional 2019 pick in a roster-clearing move in July. What’s more, the 2018 second-round pick the Celtics sent to Oklahoma City in return is protected from 31 to 55, meaning that if it falls in that range, the Celtics keep the pick.

So essentially, the Celtics get a fresh look at a player with considerable skills for a cash exchange. Nothing more. Jones has another opportunity to make an impression on a new team, a 24-year-old capable of playing multiple positions and adding to the team’s wealth of talented youngsters.

There is no guarantee Jones will make the roster. His situation will emerge as one of the more intriguing topics in training camp. Can coach Brad Stevens bring the best out of a player who has yet to show his best?

“One of the things about Perry, and this is for the short term and long term, which position will he play?” Stevens said. “But the biggest benefit is he’s a positionless player in a positionless league. And so to me, Perry needs to soar with the strengths at the position he’s at.”

The Celtics are loaded at power forward with Kelly Olynyk, Jared Sullinger, David Lee, Amir Johnson, and rookie Jordan Mickey. Jones’s best opportunity is likely at small forward, where Jae Crowder, Jonas Jerebko, James Young, and Evan Turner return.

Jones realizes his long-term NBA future is in doubt. The league doesn’t hold the patience for younger prospects as it did in previous generations. Anthony Bennett was bought out. Dion Waiters was traded in his third season. Out of Jones’s 2012 first-round draft class, five players are already out of the NBA and 10 have been traded, including Jones and former Connecticut standout Jeremy Lamb.

Lamb spent three years next to Jones on the Thunder bench, waiting for an opportunity that never arrived. He is now with the Charlotte Hornets with the hopes, like Jones, of realizing his potential.

“There’s excitement, like last year when I had good games,” Jones said. “I’m ready to get back to that type of basketball with my new teammates. It’s going to be good, man. I’m excited about this year. I’m excited about my new teammates. I just want to match that intensity and effort on the court.”

Jones averaged 13.5 points and 7.6 rebounds in his sophomore season at Baylor, and he displayed versatility at three positions with his size and athleticism. But scouts have said Jones’s issue isn’t physical, it’s his lack of confidence and passion. He needed those in Oklahoma City, which was competing for NBA titles during his three seasons there.

“I’m just happy to be in the league,” he said. “I can bring versatility, the skills that God gave me, and do my best to help the team get some wins.”

Jones said he and Lamb talk often about their quests to make an NBA impact. Not every first-round pick gets an opportunity to crack the rotation. Both were supposed to be a part of the Thunder’s future, but both are now gone.

“We’re like best friends now, we built a relationship over the last couple of years and I hope for the best for him and I’m sure he’s doing the same for me,” Jones said. “I’m going to keep [what we talked about over the years] between me and him, but we are in the same situation. Like I said, some things you can control. As long as you give a full effort, you won’t feel bad about anything. You’ve got to think positive the whole way and trust what you do is going to pay off.”

Every practice and exhibition game will be important in the evaluation of Jones. Stevens is quite familiar with recent college players because of his time at Baylor, and Jones is no different.

“The toughest part for Perry right now is coming into a new situation with a whole new team and a whole new system, and having to guard two positions,” Stevens said. “He’s more of a swing player who can play both [positions].

“He’s a great guy. I have had a chance to spend time with him and I really enjoy him. He’s a worker. He’s got a great way about him. He’s the kind of guy you want to have around.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Perry Jones hopes find a home in Celtics’ crowded frontcourt Empty Re: Perry Jones hopes find a home in Celtics’ crowded frontcourt

Post by wide clyde Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:27 am

Although the Cs have lots of power forward types, of which some will spend some time at the center, I do not see a whole lot of competition for Jones at the small forward position. Turner helped the team last season, but due to other personnel issues, he had the ball in his hands too often.

If Jones shows that he can shoot at least pretty well from distance I think that he starts this year. And, the better he shoots the less the spotlight will be on his defense. He could average 16 to 18 and get 7-9 rebounds which will make him a nightly starter.

Now all he has to do is prove me right. Go getum, Perry.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Perry Jones hopes find a home in Celtics’ crowded frontcourt Empty Re: Perry Jones hopes find a home in Celtics’ crowded frontcourt

Post by rambone Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:22 pm

I question PJ3's reliability and fluctuating confidence, but is he really any less reliable than Sully? Probably, since Sully stepped up in the playoffs.

But with Sully still carrying tons of extra weight, still a huge risk for obesity related injuries, and still not disciplined with his diet and exercise heading into a contract year, I could see Danny unloading Sully for a second round pick, and perhaps adding a big body later in the year.

David Lee is another guy who's roster spot might not be a lock, but given that he's a good/great veteran presence, something Sully is not, I could see Lee staying before Sully.

That's all IF PJ3 showed enough promise to force another roster move besides just cutting PJ3.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:36 pm

Do the Celtics actually need to cut a player, or can they send someone down to the D-league?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:39 pm

they need to cut a player.

As far as Jones starting, Crowder or Jerebko, or turner are much more likely to start at SF than Jones.

Those guys are proven to be consistent, trustworthy (you know what you're going to get), experienced, and higher IQ. But that's not to say Jones couldn't compete for a decent role, including starting, later in the year or next year.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:44 pm

rambone wrote:I question PJ3's reliability and fluctuating confidence, but is he really any less reliable than Sully? Probably, since Sully stepped up in the playoffs.

But with Sully still carrying tons of extra weight, still a huge risk for obesity related injuries, and still not disciplined with his diet and exercise heading into a contract year, I could see Danny unloading Sully for a second round pick, and perhaps adding a big body later in the year.

David Lee is another guy who's roster spot might not be a lock, but given that he's a good/great veteran presence, something Sully is not, I could see Lee staying before Sully.

That's all IF PJ3 showed enough promise to force another roster move besides just cutting PJ3.

David Lee has a roster spot unless/until Danny can move his contract. Playing time, on the other hand, is something he'll have to earn.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:06 pm

You're probably right Bob, but I don't think it's an absolute certainty. Wallace was likely going to get waived here this year if we hadn't traded his contract, and PHI waived him last week.

Lee is an obvious upgrade from Wallace, but he was acquired for Gerald Wallace, and being paid 15 million isn't a guarantee that he won't be released. Just like with Wallace who had a 10-12 million dollar contract.

The other factor is Lee might not be happy if he's initially left out of the regular rotation. He wasn't even happy in Golden State, last year or this summer. He didn't even want to try to win another championship with Golden State, playing time was so important to him.

And Golden State unloaded him for nothing, just to do him a favor and get him more playing time. But that doesn't mean he's a lock for a significant role in Boston. The Heat traded Zoran Dragic to Boston so he could get more minutes, and then Boston released him.

Lee sounds like a great veteran here in week one of training camp, but so did Keith Bogans.

With PJ3, at least you know he's not going to be distressed if he doesn't get minutes.

It all probably depends on what Lee still has left in the tank, because guys in their 30s can see their performance fall off a cliff, and that arguably already happened to Lee last year. We'll have a better idea in a few weeks.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down