Celtics' focus on three-pointers good for Jerebko

4 posters

Go down

Celtics' focus on three-pointers good for Jerebko Empty Celtics' focus on three-pointers good for Jerebko

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:59 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/celtics-focus-three-pointers-good-jerebko

Celtics' focus on three-pointers good for Jerebko

September 30, 2015, 4:45 pm

Celtics' focus on three-pointers good for Jerebko Byline-blakely-cdc

BOSTON – Jonas Jerebko is a card-carrying member of the get-in-where-you-fit-in club, a player who is seemingly up for doing whatever his team needs from him.

Often it’s about making high-energy, hustle plays or providing some much-needed quickness in the frontcourt defensively.

But 3-point shooting, something the Celtics have not asked him to do much of, may be the greatest gift he can give this team.

Jerebko, acquired by Boston at the trade deadline last February, has been a solid 3-point shooter most of his career.

In 29 games with Boston last season, Jerebko shot 40.6 percent from 3-point range. And in his last full season with Detroit (2013-2014), he drained 41.9 percent of his 3-pointers taken.

Even with back-to-back seasons in which he shot a high percentage from 3-point range, Jerebko did not see a major spike in his 3-point shot attempts.

In his 29 games with Boston, Jerebko averaged just 2.2 3-pointers taken per game – and that was a career high from 1.7 per game in Detroit.

So why doesn’t he shoot it more?

“That’s not my role,” he told CSNNE.com. “I’m not the one to force shots. I’d rather find the open man, make the simple play. But I know I can shoot the ball.”

So do his teammates.

While Isaiah Thomas is the Celtics’ best scorer regardless of whether he starts or comes off the bench, he says having Jerebko on the floor with him makes his job easier.

Head coach Brad Stevens has talked about the value of having guys who can space the floor while in the game with Thomas.

“Defenses have to respect him (Jerebko),” Thomas told CSNNE.com. “They pay too much attention to me and that leaves him wide open. He does a good job at making teams pay for that.”

Jerebko added, “They can’t leave me open. That’s one of my strengths.”

But it is a strength that he seldom looks to utilize … until now.

Fans saw glimpses of a more aggressive Jerebko in Tuesday’s open practice for season ticket holders at the TD Garden. Despite playing limited minutes (the Celtics only played three, eight-minute quarters), Jerebko still had 10 points which included a pair of 3s.

“I have to be a little more aggressive at times,” Jerebko admitted. “Maybe shoot a couple extra (3s) instead of hesitating.”

The Celtics could certainly use it when you consider how they struggled from long range last season.

Boston took 24.6 3s per game last season which ranked a respectable 13th in the NBA.

However, the Celtics made just 32.7 percent of their 3s which ranked near the bottom (27th out of 30 teams) of the league.

“We’re spending a lot of time talking about being in the right spots,” said Celtics head coach Brad Stevens. “After that you have to step up and make shots and I think we’re capable of that. Certainly, you need to.”

Aware of this, Jerebko made a point of spending more time than usual working on his 3-point shooting game in the offseason, knowing his success with the 3-ball in the past might result in more opportunities to shoot it in the near future.

“I’ve been shooting the ball all summer real good,” he said. “I’m ready for the season to start.”

So does that mean more 3s this year?

“We’ll see,” said Jerebko, with a grin. "I’m just going to shoot when I’m open. Hopefully I’ll be open a little more this year.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics' focus on three-pointers good for Jerebko Empty Re: Celtics' focus on three-pointers good for Jerebko

Post by gyso Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:57 am

Bob,

Have you noticed the number of threads that focus on shooting the three pointer?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Celtics' focus on three-pointers good for Jerebko Empty Re: Celtics' focus on three-pointers good for Jerebko

Post by wide clyde Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:57 am

I have no problem with anyone taking 3s in any part of any game if they have a 40% success rate.  It is the guys like Sullenger (last season) shooting 3s and only hitting on 28% that frustrate me.

If the team can shoot 3s at 40% we will win lots of games this year.  Not so much with a 30% rate.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:10 am

gyso wrote:Bob,

Have you noticed the number of threads that focus on shooting the three pointer?

gyso

gyso,

Yep. If we thought we were shooting a lot of them last year...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:18 am

wide clyde wrote:I have no problem with anyone taking 3s in any part of any game if they have a 40% success rate.  It is the guys like Sullenger (last season) shooting 3s and only hitting on 28% that frustrate me.

If the team can shoot 3s at 40% we will win lots of games this year.  Not so much with a 30% rate.

Wyde Clyde

unless they put up 110 shots per game they will definitely need to improve their 3 point field goal efficiency.

Guys like Jonas should be encouraged to shoot and guys like Sullinger should not.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:43 am

gyso wrote:Bob,

gyso

gyso,

Yep.  If we thought we were shooting a lot of them last year...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down