All Aboard The Brad Stevens Hype Train

4 posters

Go down

All Aboard The Brad Stevens Hype Train Empty All Aboard The Brad Stevens Hype Train

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:45 am

http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/10/15/9540233/the-brad-stevens-Celtics-NBA-2015

The Brad Stevens lovefest can't be stopped

By Jeff Nooney on Oct 15, 2015, 4:00p 14

All Aboard The Brad Stevens Hype Train Usa-today-8823223.0
David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports
The Brad Stevens bandwagon is filling up quickly heading into this season.

Brad Stevens has become the NBA's wunderkind of coaching. He's drawn nearly continuous praise since last season. Good luck finding a Celtics preview article that doesn't devote at least a paragraph to raving about Stevens.

This article from Ben Rohrbach at Ball Don't Lie is a great example. Rohrbach lauds him, writing "On the cusp of his 39th birthday, he's already one of the NBA's brightest basketball minds. ... Ainge has a superstar under contract. He just wears a suit and tie." It's rare to have people refer to a coach as the star of a team, but that's common when it comes to Brad Stevens.

But it's not just the NBA writers, praise is coming from everywhere. Pelicans assistant Darren Erman remarked "Brad's a great, great, great person, great coach. He's like the Steph Curry of coaches." An odd comparison, sure, but the message is clear. LeBron James named Boston's offense one of the most difficult to defend. Apologies to the team, but it's pretty obvious who that praise is directed at. Professional gambler and Game of Thrones mantra Haralabos Voulgaris called Brad Stevens the best in-game coach in the NBA. Gregg Popovich even admitted that coaches were using Stevens' plays before Stevens even started coaching in the NBA. The general level of respect for Stevens around the league is couldn't be higher.

"Are the Celtics actually any good, though?" This question from Rohrbach's article, not to be confused with the overarching question from Review, raises an interesting thought. The Boston Celtics are certainly better than they were last year. But the team still feels like the island of misfit toys sometimes. The overall talent level isn't super impressive. Some people are bullish on their chances this year though. Bill Simmons recently floated 50 wins as a possibility for instance. I'm not quite that confident, because other Eastern Conference teams have improved since last season as well. The Pacers have Paul George back, Miami's starting five looks terrifying, and the Pistons could even be a little frisky this season. The point being, the playoffs are no lock for this team. If Boston keeps up its inspired late season pace, then that statement might look ridiculous in hindsight. However right now Brad Stevens has a real challenge on his hands.

This leads into the idea of expectation. Brad Stevens was playing with house money so to speak the last couple years. The teams were expected, and maybe even designed to tank. Wins would be nice, but it didn't really matter if the team lost. But, last season's performance changed the situation. Stevens got more out of that team than anyone imagined possible. So there's a certain assumption that he'll be able to do it again. This season, Stevens and the Celtics won't catch any team by surprise. Boston will be out to prove that the second half of last year wasn't a fluke.

I'm confident he can handle the pressure though. After all, his Butler team returned to the national championship game the next year. That was after losing the best player in the program's history too. His focus on the "process" is a grounding force. Rohrbach sheds a little light on Stevens' methods in the preview article.

Stevens literally boils the game down to each possession, because it levels the playing field. If you can win one possession against a LeBron James-led team, you can win the next. Win more than the other guy over the course of a game, and you've done your job. Do it for a full season, and you're golden. Then do it again in the playoffs.

The playoff success isn't quite there yet, but the point remains. If Stevens can keep the team focused on their play, and not necessarily their record, then it will benefit them in the long run. He'll have his hands full with the massive rotation, and the ever lurking threat of Danny Ainge roster moves. But everyone seems to believe in Brad Stevens' ability to handle the challenge. After everything he's done so far, why wouldn't they?

bob
MY NOTE:  I was hopeful and trying to stay positive, but skeptical, Brad's first year.  We've seen too many college coaches try to make the jump to the pros and fall flat.  I was, and this is no overstatement, floored by his step up in his 2nd year.  He went from being a new-born foal, full of promise but unsteady on his feet, to being a damn race horse in a year.  Doc has a rep for being a great ATO coach, but he's being in and around the NBA for almost as long as Brad has been alive, literally (Doc's first year was 83-84 and Brad was born 10/22/76.  The birthday boy is about to become an "old man" of 39).  Brad is very good (I don't know about as good or better or almost as good as Doc) and this is just his 3rd year.

Players are flocking to the small media market of San Antonio because of Pop.  Pop has rings, Brad doesn't, but the concept is sound.  Good coaches will draw good players.  Winning coaches will draw good-great players who are thirsting to win.  Riley did it in Miami and in LA, Doc did it here.  It's not a dubious connection.

This is yet another good reason why there is no course that produces more benefits than winning.  It proofs your coach and his abilities. Tanking defeats that growth path.

Players come and players go, especially around Trader Danny, but coaching continuity is important.  Danny's biggest coup, since the multiple coups of the summer of 2007, was luring Brad Stevens out of the college coaching ranks when other pro teams and elite, large school college programs tried to recruit him and failed.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

All Aboard The Brad Stevens Hype Train Empty Re: All Aboard The Brad Stevens Hype Train

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:47 pm

I agree with your assessment of Brad. I feel he is our ace in the hole, the one who will eventually draw a big name here,there is no doubt in my mind. With all the coaches out there who have been on five or six different teams and keep getting fired, Brad is the guy the Celtics need to gain respect from free agents and other players who may be involved in a trade to come here.

The biggest thing about Stevens is that he likes to win, and what player does not want that. He will have a way of wading through those who don't want to give it their all and play within the system he is developing.

I am so glad I am here to watch the next saga of the Boston Celtics unfold. Sam felt the same way, his insight into all of this would have been delightful.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

All Aboard The Brad Stevens Hype Train Empty Re: All Aboard The Brad Stevens Hype Train

Post by bobc33 Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:48 pm

I'd like to buy one boarding pass for this train please......

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Hype1

(hīp) Slang
n.
1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion: the hype surrounding the murder trial.

2. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material: "It is pure hype, a gigantic PR job" (Saturday Review).

3. An advertising or promotional ploy: "Some restaurant owners in town are cooking up a $75,000 hype to promote New York as 'Restaurant City, U.S.A.'" (New York).

4. Something deliberately misleading; a deception: "[He] says that there isn't any energy crisis at all, that it's all a hype, to maintain outrageous profits for the oil companies" (Joel Oppenheimer).

tr.v. hyped, hyp·ing, hypes
To publicize or promote, especially by extravagant, inflated, or misleading claims: hyped the new book by sending its author on a promotional tour.

I take exception to the author's use of the "Hype" in the title. By definition, there ain't no hype here!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down