6 posters

Go down

Celtics put on a show in 118-98 win Empty Celtics put on a show in 118-98 win

Post by 112288 Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:57 pm

STUDS AND DUDS: HOT-SHOOTING CELTICS FLY PAST WIZARDS

WEEI

By Sam Packard

Jared Sullinger

It’s the law of averages. Eventually, the shots would start falling. But no mathematician would have predicted this.

The Celtics (2-3) shot 45 percent from the field and defeated the visiting Wizards 118-98 on Friday night. Led by Jared Sullinger’s 21 points, five Celtics finished in double figures. The C’s dominated the first half, outscoring the Wizards 72-49. It was the first time the Celtics had scored 70 in a half since the modern-day Big Three did it in 2010. They also excelled from beyond the arc, knocking down a season-high 12 3-pointers.

Bradley Beal scored a game-high 24 points for the Wizards, a fast-paced team that struggled to keep up with the high-flying Celtics. The C’s hands were extremely active on defense, forcing 24 turnovers on a season-high 18 steals.

STUD OF THE NIGHT: Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk.

Making his second start of the season, Sullinger opened the game shooting 5-for-5 from the field. His accuracy extended beyond the arc, as Sullinger pulled off the incredible, knocking down two 3-point attempts in row, something he has been unable to do all season. The large power forward also did an excellent job on the boards, pulling down eight rebounds in 21 minutes.

Olynk decided to let down his locks and abandon the man-bun that made him semi-famous on Twitter. The extra freedom and bounce appeared to fix his ailing jump shot, as Olynyk finished with 19 points, including 3-of-5 shooting from 3. The Canadian Adonis finished an astonishing plus-29 to lead the team.

DUD OF THE NIGHT: The Wizards bench.

Jared Dudley (minus-23) , Ramon Sessions (minus-24), Nene (minus-20) and Gary Neal (minus-24) finished with only 21 points and were no match for Brad Stevens’ super depth. The C’s reserves scored 58 points.

VINE OF THE NIGHT: Sully’s pass from his bum.

WHINE OF THE NIGHT: Jae Crowder hurt in garbage time

Crowder banged his knee on a drive late in the fourth quarter and fell to the parquet before being helped off the court and into the locker room by trainer Ed Lacerte. The Celtics announced that Crowder suffered a bone bruise, as he did not return to the bench. He finished with a double-double, scoring 12 points and grabbing 10 rebounds.

STAT OF THE NIGHT: 18 Steals.

Led by ae Crowder (5) and Olynyk (4), the Celtics forced 18 steals. Their season-high last year was 20, in a game against the Cleveland Cavaliers.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stars, studs and duds: Sully and Turner for the win

CSNE

A.SHERROD BLAKLEY

BOSTON – The Boston Celtics’ game against Washington wasn’t even two minutes old when it was clear that, unless head coach Brad Stevens did something, his team was about to be run out of their own gym.

So 88 seconds into the game, Stevens called a time-out.

It didn’t just slow down the hard-charging Wizards. The time-out changed the entire complexion of the game as the Celtics regained their footing and in doing so, put together their most impressive game of the season in handing the Wizards (3-2) a convincing 118-98 beating.

"We just let Boston do whatever they wanted," a clearly dejected Washington head coach Randy Wittman said after the loss. "They pushed us, they hit us, they out-physicaled us. We went through the motions tonight, that's a disappointing thing less than 10 days into the season; can't do that."

It was Boston’s first blowout win of the season, a game that featured several players stepping up and contributing at both ends of the floor. But arguably the biggest moment of the night was at the 10:32 mark when Stevens called that much-needed time-out.

“The only thing that I said (in the time-out) was just, ‘We can’t give up uncontested lay-ups,’” Stevens said. “We were lucky to respond the way we did in that first quarter.”

Here are the Stars, Studs and Duds from Boston’s win on Friday night, which snapped a three-game losing skid.

STARS

Jared Sullinger

Easily the ultimate difference-maker in this game, Sullinger’s scoring, rebounding and defense – yes, defense – were huge for Boston. He finished with a team-high 21 points and eight rebounds. In addition, he drew an offensive foul in the first quarter against John Wall which was Wall's second personal foul, sending him immediately to the bench. Wall’s early exit led to the Wizards never getting into any kind of rhythm.

Evan Turner

I know the Celtics want him to play more off the ball than last season, but it’s clear that Turner is at his best when he has the ball in his hands. He’s usually looking to pass but on Friday his shot was on, big time. He finished with 16 points on 7-for-11 shooting, along with six rebounds and two assists.

Bradley Beal

It was a dismal performance by the Wizards, with the exception of Beal. He has been their best player this season and he didn’t disappoint on Friday in finishing with a game-high 24 points on 9-for-15 shooting to go with five rebounds and two assists.

STUDS

Kelly Olynyk

Olynyk made a number of big shots to slow down Washington surges. And by the end of the night, the 7-foot big man had a season-high 19 points on 7-for-11 shooting to go with seven rebounds and four assists.

DUDS

John Wall

One of the best point guards in the NBA, Wall got into early foul trouble and was never able to get his team into any kind of flow. He had 13 points on 6-for-17 shooting along with eight assists and five rebounds.

Back to top Go down

Celtics put on a show in 118-98 win Empty Re: Celtics put on a show in 118-98 win

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:35 am

A Sherrod is an idiot. With the game the Celtics played last night he credits it all to Brad's time out two minutes into the first quarter? Brad is a great coach and all, but couldn't he find a different story line here?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Celtics put on a show in 118-98 win Empty Re: Celtics put on a show in 118-98 win

Post by sinus007 Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Hi,
My impression was that Celtics managed to frustrate Wizards. After that it was just a matter of keeping up the good defense.
Overall, a very good win over a solid team.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:53 pm

This was the team we saw in rampaging through Europe like grim death and bouncing the Nets and Sixers on their laps like they were toddlers.

Almost everything about this game was beautiful, except maybe the 4th quarter, but by then it was too late for them.  A 40 point first quarter followed up by a 32 point second quarter.  Unless you play complete matador defense all game you are going to win a lot of games with offense like that.  Wizards coach Randy Wittman alternated between looking like a raging homicidal psychopath to a death row inmate awaiting the final walk.  He's pretty intense and competitive to begin with (his old time running mate on the Atlanta Hawks, Doc Rivers, once said that Wittman was one of the most competitive people he has ever met) and in the first quarter last night he looked like he was ready to go viking and lay about the bench with a battleaxe.  In the 4th quarter, he just sat in his chair, looking down and staring at nothing.  Man, when you can break the spirit of Randy Wittman, you've put in a nice day's work and can sleep well that night.

1.  Sully was damn near perfect last night.  He blew his defense on the first play the Wiz ran against him but after that he did just about everything right.  He drew a charge against the hyper-quick John Wall, taking it right in the chest and going down like a felled elephant.  As bobc said on the Game On thread Sully needed some serious ganas to take that charge, because that one hurt (for those of you unfamiliar with the term 'ganas', it's Latino Spanish (as opposed to the Spanish of Spain) slang for "fire in the belly".  "What do I have to do to get this?  Tell me and I'll pay the price."  Ganar means "to earn" in spanish, so tengo ganas roughly translates in the barrios of California to "I gotta have this!").  He was also hitting his shots from everywhere and worked his slightly less fat ass off down low.  An 11 point first quarter for Sully on 5-6, 1-2 from 3 and 3 rebounds.  He got beat a bit by Marcin Gortat but Gortat is a really nice, very fundamentally sound center who moves well without the ball and showed some slick spin moves down low against both Sully and, later, Kelly.  Interestingly, Gortat is averaging 1.8 blocks/36mpg this season while Kelly is averaging 2.1/36mpg.  Getting back to Sully, HELLUVA game by our pet dinosaur.  Only 1 fgm out of 5 in the first quarter from inside the lane.  He ended up 9-13, 3-4 from 3 (PLEASE don't fall in love with the 3, Sully!  You had a good game, that's great, now put it on the shelf and admire it for a while and get your gigantic gluteus back down in the blocks).  8 rebounds, 3 offensive.  3 assists and 2 TOs.  He even had 2 blocks.  It was all working for Sully last night and he only played 22 minutes.  21 ppoints, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks in 22 minutes.  What's not to like?

2.  Might as well finish up on Kelly since I already mentioned him.  A great night for him too.  He played more minutes than Sully, 27, and he did pretty damn well too.  7-11 for 19 points, 7 rebounds 2 offensive, 4 assists and 3 TOs (I don't really remember the TOs) and 4 steals.  Aside from raising his /36mpg block average up to 2.1/36 from the 1.0/36 last year, he is also averaging 3.8 steals/36.  Yeah, that will happen when you have 7 steals in 68 minutes of play.  I expect him to be in the top 2 or 3 in the league/36mpg when last night's boxscores are added (currently, Sefelosha leads the league with 4.1/36mpg in 79 minutes and our own  Jae Crowder is 2nd with 3.6/36mpg in 149 minutes, so Kelly's 3.8 will put him up in that stratosphere albeit in limited minutes).  Kelly was hitting his shots last night.  3-5 from 3.  A finger roll on a drive down the lane.  A put back +1 on an O-board.  One of his Dirk-LIKE wrong-foot-fadeaways.  He had a fairly quiet first quarter, 2 points on 1-1 and 2 boards and up to 9 points on 4-4 by halftime.  He turned it on in the 2nd half.  I've made no bones about it, I like my bigs down low doing damage.  It makes me cringe when Sully takes 3s, even when he makes them.  Same with Kelly but, unlike Sully, Kelly can put the ball on the floor and wheel-and-deal a bit.  Not a bull like Sully, not even remotely close, but more versatile.  He hit Jonas with a great entry pass.  This is where Kelly's height and former play as a PG in High School comes in.  He can see over most of his defenders and is a very good passer.  He even played well on defense.  He got a block on a help defense rotation on someone else's man and forced Nene into an off-balance left-hander in the low paint which missed.  Really, Kelly played good defense last night.  However, it was cited by Mike Gorman that Kelly has the 4th best defensive rating in the league.  I find that hard to believe, so I tried to look it up.  Here is the link to basketball-reference.com's page that lists those stats.  Defensive Rating is down near the bottom of the page and Kelly's name is NOT even in the Top 20.  I have NO idea where Mike got that from.  

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016_leaders.html

Kelly's biggest fan, Rambone, on the Game On thread exclaimed that "Kelly is pissing excellence tonight, like the rest of the team".  For what it's worth, so was I last night.  I was drinking Guinness Blond (when I first heard of Guinness BLOND I thought "THAT'S BLASPHEMY!!" but then I tried it and changed my mind.  They really nailed it.  I'd love to know what famous Guinness lover Bill Walton thinks of it).  But I have to agree with that sentiment.  Kelly looked very good last night.  Now, he just has to do it again.

3.  Isaiah Thomas drove them crazy.  At one point I heard Randy Wittman yell in the first quarter ""Somebody has got to stop him!"  Between Sullinger hitting from outside or rebounding inside and Thomas dribbling through the defense and spinning them in at the rim I can well understand Wittman's rage and sudden desire to check into his eBay account to see what the going price was for a flame thrower.  IT had 12 points in the 1st quarter to go with Sully's 11.  That's 23 of our total 40 from those two guys.  IT's shooting has been QUITE inefficient this season to-date, but he was 4-7 in the 1st.  Only 26 minutes for IT.  Why not?  We were up by 30 at one point.  Why tire him out, it's a long season, and have to deal with his weak defense when we didn't need his offense?  He could not stay in front of John Wall.  Wall was having an off night anyway, but it sure wasn't because of Thomas' defense.  Ramon Sessions was probably cursing a blue streak in Spanish all night because Thomas was doing unto him exactly what the other Wizard starting guard was doing to our other starting guard.

4.  The Battle of the Bradleys went to Beal.  Bradley had a miserable night against him, perhaps the worst of the season so far.  He has played outstanding defense against the 4 previous teams we have played but Beal made him look bad.  24 points on 9-15 for Beal in 31 minutes.  Here's one reason why I don't like the +/- stat:  Bradley was +6, when anybody with eyes could see Beal was eating him alive, while Jordan Mickey was only a +1 and he made an immediate impact when he came in with an old-fashioned 3 point play and a block in 3 minutes.  Another reason?

5.  Terry Rozier was a +4 in 19 minutes of play and his play was underwhelming.  He was 2-8 in those minutes (Bradley had 6 on 2-6 in 26) and a 30 point lead was cut on to 17 on a 13-0 Wiz run when Rozier was running point, in part, because he walked the ball up court every possession like Rondo used to.  I don't know how many fast break points we had when Rozier was in but I'll bet there weren't many.  In fact, I don't think we had many fast breaks when he was in, period.  He was running the clock down with 7 minutes left and throttling the offense in the process.  How does Bradley get a +6 when Beal is scoring almost at will on him and Rozier get almost the same +/- when they run off 13 straight?  The answer is that basketball is a team sport, with players being shuttled in and out and matched in various and numerous combinations (especially when Brad Stevens is the coach) and who you are on the floor against and on the floor with makes all the difference in the world.  And, in the boxscore.  Rozier needs some minutes and handing him the ball when we are up big isn't a problem even if the lead does almost get cut in half, I just hope he doesn't get into the habit of walking it up.  I hope one of the coaches put a bug in his ear today.  One nice thing about Rozier I have to give him credit for, he is not intimidated about being a rookie in the NBA.  Nope, not even a little bit.  Just remember to use what brought you there, kid, defense and speed.  You can walk all you want after you retire.

6.  Jae was 4-12, another bad shooting night, but 5 steals.  He missed one or two easy ones, again.  I don't get it, he's right at the rim, he's past the defense and he doesn't jam it.  Who does he think he is?  Tyler Zeller?  Nevertheless, he played his general role of disruptor and grabbed 10 rebounds.  I'd still like to see him come off the bench with IT when Smart comes back though.  He's a catch-and-shoot player, so playing with an elusive little waterbug like Thomas will set him up better than with Smart.

7.  Zeller with 7 minutes and that was in the final frame when the game was pretty much out of reach.  Talk about falling off the table.  7 points in those 5 minutes, but against lesser talent.  This is why depth is a good thing.  Still, 7 points on 3-4 in 5 minutes is pretty good.  So, how come he tied RJ for worst +/- with a -4?  Could it be that the +/- stat isn't about the player but is about everybody who is on the floor, both with and against him?

8.   Turner is very good at getting to his spot and hitting the shot off the dribble.  His spot is the elbow.  Anywhere else?  Meh.  He was 2-4 from 3 last night but I don't like him taking those shots.  He is not a good catch-and-shooter, in general, which is why I would rather not have him on the floor with IT.  There's only one ball and a green wrestling match sounds unattractive.  He played 30 minutes off the bench last night, scoring 16 points on 7-12 and 6 boards.  He played well, I have to give him that, I'm just not sure where he belongs.

9.  If David Lee was excited about coming to Boston so he could get more playing time he has to be unhappy right now.  A blow out and he still only plays 13 minutes.  His contract, though, will make him hard to move.  Maybe, maybe maybe, around trade deadline time and there's only half a year left on it.  Throw in a nice TPE and maybe maybe.

10.  Statistical roundup:  40% shooting for them with 88 fgas vs 45% and 97 fgas for us.  Tommy was very happy with that and so am I.  Another reason for Wittman's near aneurysm is the 24 TOs by them, making their offense even worse by the 18 steals by us.  Although, when you think about it, they still managed 88 fgas despite losing the ball on TOs and steals like that.  Hmm.

72 points in the first half.  The last time we scored 70 points in a half was in 2010 when those other guys were here.  61% first half shooting.  SO much to like about this game, but most of all the W.

I watched the end of the other game of importance last night, Lakers at Brooklyn.  Hibbert tried to give the game to Brooklyn but the Nets couldn't figure that out.  A sloppy inbounds pass turnover by Hibbert almost gave the Nets the chance they needed.  An unnecessary charge by Jordan Clarkson gave them another chance.  All in the last minute.  Byron Scott should have just said "I don't care what else, forget everything else I have ever told you, just get the FREAKING BALL INTO KOBE'S HANDS!!"  Didn't happen, so Kobe had to step up and force his ancient, breaking down body to chase down a few balls on his own and seal the deal with fritos.  Just to put our best first round draft pick next June into a bit of early perspective, the Brooklyn Nets suck SO bad, they can't beat the LA Lakers at home for their first win of the season.  Not a slap at TJ, but that's pretty damn bad, not being able to beat the Lakers at home to earn your first win of the season is pretty damn bad.  The Nets have the worst team differential in the league with a -13.2, #29 being the Pelicans, who have a front court of Anthony and Ryan Anderson (Perk and Asik, together, have played a total of 38 minutes).  Slightly, very slightly, above NOP are the 26ers.  That should give you some idea of just how bad Brooklyn is, they are TWO teams below Philly.  There are two teams that are 0-5 on the season but only one that is 0-6 and that team is the Brooklyn Nets.  To make things even worse (or better, depending on where you're coming from) Brooklyn has to play Milwaukee on the road tonight on the 2nd game of a back-to-back.  Sam Hinkie's eyes are narrowing and flashing, his nostrils are flaring, his jaw becoming set.  He now knows he has serious competition for the most execrable record this year and will have to take proactive steps to make sure nobody, NOBODY, are bigger losers than him and his team.  If you see Jahlil Okafur walking with a limp you know Hinkie is Tonya Harding to Oaky's Nancy Kerrigan.

In other words, it's all good for us Boston Celtic fans.

We have off until Tuesday, when we're in Milwaukee.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:08 pm

It was good to see Zeller adjusting to being a reserve. In his first game off the bench, against the Pacers, I think that's why he was airballing 4 footers. He was adjusting and accepting his new role.

If Zeller's just a 3rd string center this year, he can probably be a damn good one and take pride in that. Same goes for David Lee, if he can embrace being the 3rd or sometimes 2nd PF on the depth chart.

Amir Johnson might be a big ? at this point. For all I know this ankle twist injury he has might slow him down all season. He still might be able to be an adequate starting center who just plays 15-20 minutes like old KG is doing now in Minny, and has been since 2012-ish.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Sully's latest BIG Tommy Point.  A 60' outlet pass off a steal from his ass. And this was with us up 20 in the 3rd.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/2uhg.mp4

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:33 am

Interesting game with the combo of Sully and KO leading the way. It sorta flips everything on its head.

Too bad we can't put their performance in a bottle. It would make an excellent elixir

Combined: 40 Points, 15 rebounds, 7 Assists, 5 steals, 3 blocks and 6 for 9 from behind the arc.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down