dboss
bobheckler
23 posters

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down

Odds and Ends Empty Odds and Ends

Post by dboss Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:44 pm

10 games in.  How about some grades.

AB gets a B plus on offense and an A on Defense.  He has been one of our most consistent players.

Sully gets a B plus on offense as well.  He is taking less 3 point shots but shooting over 36%.  And he is scoring inside. He has been the most consistent rebounder.  He has been a B on D.

Thomas wants to be volume shooter but he has to make more shots.  He is a bit quick on the trigger at times. He gets a B on offense.  At times he runs the offense and other times he runs his offense.  He has played hard on D but still gets used too much.  He is a C on d.

Amir has begun to fit in. He is a very talented defender.  Once he was rotated to the starting position the team got much better on d.  He calls out the signals and keeps making big plays.  He is a crafty scorer.
So I give him an B on offense and an A on defense.

Smart is a bad dude.  Looks like the most physical. PG in the league.  I still do not see him as an offensive 2 guard.  He does make great plays for other players.  Still waiting for him to make the 3 ball.  B minus on offense seems about right.  On defense an A...very aggressive

Crowder C on offense and A on defense.  He is the instigator. Tough as nails.

KO gets a C plus on offense.  He needs to make those 3 balls.  On D he gets a B minus.  He is still slow of foot closing out the perimeter. He is rebounding inside more and playing pretty good post defense.

Lee gets an I

He has been less than good at both ends.

Turner gets aC plus on offense.  He gets lost sometime however he is one of a few players on this team that can make his own shot.  On defense he is a C. Plus.

Jonas is a C player across the board.

The rooks ..  Not rated.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Odds and Ends Empty Re: Odds and Ends

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:44 am

People are calling our Celtics "this year's Hawks". I just hope next year they aren't calling us "last year's Hawks". They're 8-5, but on a 3 game losing streak, which we started and now they lose to Brooklyn.

Thanks for nothing.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:06 am

[quote="bobheckler"]People are calling our Celtics "this year's Hawks".  I just hope next year they aren't calling us "last year's Hawks".  They're 8-5, but on a 3 game losing streak, which we started and now they lose to Brooklyn.

Thanks for nothing.

bob

I was thinking that the Hawks appear to have lost a slight edge however last night two of there starters were out with bad ankles. Teague hurt his ankle in the Boston game and Bazemore also sprained the ankle.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:00 am

Hawks don't have our depth, I like our backcourt better, they don't have a traditional center, Sully and Amir probably better than Horford and Milsap defensively. If thats a top 2 or 3 seed in the East, were in good shape.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:04 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Hawks don't have our depth, I like our backcourt better, they don't have a traditional center, Sully and Amir probably better than Horford and Milsap defensively. If thats a top 2 or 3 seed in the East, were in good shape.

cow,

Horford isn't a traditional center?

What are the requirement for that? Is Noah a "traditional center"? He was DPOY.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:29 am

Still hoping we can pick up Noah.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:29 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Hawks don't have our depth, I like our backcourt better, they don't have a traditional center, Sully and Amir probably better than Horford and Milsap defensively. If thats a top 2 or 3 seed in the East, were in good shape.

cow,

Horford isn't a traditional center?

What are the requirement for that?  Is Noah a "traditional center"?  He was DPOY.

bob

I just mean hes kinda slight, more a PF playing center to me. Sully can move a skinny guy like Horford pretty easily.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:02 pm

Careful now

Horford just may be the secdon best Free agent in next years class , after Durant.

Just sayin......

Noah may be starting to break down from his over work under Thibs the past few years...this year might tell for sure.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:35 pm

Biggest surprises so far

Doc's best team ever is a very average 6 and 6

The Pelicans have taken a big step back at 2 and 11 but they did break the Spurs 6 game winning streak on Friday.  I really could not understand why they fired Monty Williams at the end of the year and hired Alvin Gentry.  Williams lead them to a 45-37 record last year.  

The Heat whom many on this board had little respect for are 2nd in the East behind the Cavs.  Whiteside is averaging almost 5 block shots per game.  That is an amazing stat.  However his 2010 draft summary indicated that he was an amazing shot blocker.  This is another one of those 2nd round picks that turns into an absolute stud.

The Rockets have gone from contender to pretender.

The Mavs have moved on after being left at the altar.

The NY Knicks have become a respectable team.  Their top pick Porzingis is a lot better than I thought he would be this early in his career.  

Celts have 6 games left in November.  Some tough games ahead like roads games at the Hawks and the Heat.  I think a 4-2 record would be solid.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:41 pm

Mickey D could be our Whiteside.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:47 pm

worcester wrote:Mickey D could be our Whiteside.

Funny I just posted about him on a thread BOBH introduced.

He will get a chance at some point.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:09 pm

dboss funny I just posted about Porzingis on the Brooklyn thread....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:25 pm

I was going to mention something to you when you first posted this.

Amir and Sully are NOT actually better than Milsap and Harford. I have the advantage of seeing them more and I almost pulled the trigger on two tickets to the game last night but I had a feeling that the Hawks were going to beat us down and that is exactly what happened. The 60 win season from them last year was not a fluke. This is actually a very good team with depth and a great coach. I think they have a similar weakness as the Celtics because they are small as well and may struggle when facing a bigger and stronger front line....same as us.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:29 pm

dboss wrote:

I was going to mention something to you when you first posted this.

Amir and Sully are NOT actually better than Milsap and Harford.  I have the advantage of seeing them more and I almost pulled the trigger on two tickets to the game last night but I had a feeling that the Hawks were going to beat us down and that is exactly what happened.  The 60 win season from them last year was not a fluke.  This is actually a very good team with depth and a great coach.  I think they have a similar weakness as the Celtics because they are small as well and may struggle when facing a bigger and stronger front line....same as us.

dboss

dboss,

I agree, and I think their performances last night wasn't a fluke neither. They are both good. Horford might not be the low post monster some of us would prefer, but he is a good center and he showed he has range last night.

I would not be surprised if the "blockbuster trade" Danny was rumored to be considering a while back was for Horford. He fits Brad's system.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:07 pm

Bobh

I am sure that DA would love to have Horford. There was a relatively recent ownership change so there is no telling what could happen.

one thing does surprise me. As good as the Hawks are they do not get the type of fan support that The Celtics get. There gym is likely to be half empty.

Hoping that the Philly game tonight does not turn into a trap game.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:02 pm

dboss I didn't say they were better overall, I said they were probably better defensively, both Millsap and Horford have more complete offensive games. Sully has been out of it last few games offensively, defensively he can use leverage and his tree trunk legs to position and clear space very effectively, and Amir is a very versatile defender with length. Both guys didn't play too well last night, they better pick it up.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:37 pm

Steph Curry is freakin unreal.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:16 pm

dboss wrote:Steph Curry is freakin unreal.

dboss

dboss,

That is the everlovin' truth.  What makes him even more amazing is that he's not big for his position.  He's not Durant, who is a 6'9", and LONG, SF.  He isn't a 6'6" Kobe or even a 6'3" bull like DWade.  He's listed at 6'3", but I think that's in lifts, and has a slight build.  

Brad's coaching staff needs to strap RJ Hunter down in a chair, prop his eyes open and keep dripping saline solution into them from an eyedropper and force him to watch hour after hour after hour of Curry, like A Clockwork Orange.  Curry is an outstanding dribbler but he isn't an excellent floor general.  He's good, but not great, that's not his forte.  Hunter could improve his ball handling to where he is the SG equivalent of Curry and his wrist flick shot is already halfway there.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:27 pm

Bon

If RJ could become half as good I would be very happy.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:27 pm

For that Clockwork Orange scenario, they'd need to show him hour after hour of Curry practicing, not Curry in games.

Curry is ridiculous this season, but it's not a fluke. Even after winning the championship and the MVP, he worked harder than ever this summer on improving his game. Instead of going back to Charlotte like he usually does in the summer, he stayed in the Bay Area and worked with his trainer.

Here's an analysis by Nate Silver at 538.com explaining how off the charts Curry is.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/stephen-curry-is-the-revolution/
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:54 pm

For those who didn't see it, but would like to, here are Curry's highlights from last night.

40 points, 28 in the 3rd quarter alone.

Klay Thompson has had a better quarter than that but the thing about Curry is that he looks like he could go off like that every night.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:55 am

When was the last time a Celtics team had 4 players score 20 points in the same game?

Impressive

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:46 pm

The Knicks looked good tonight beating the Nets.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:55 am

Incredible game last night between Cavs and Pelicans, Lebron and Anthony Davis both going off with HoF performances.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:06 pm

Cow,

I watched a fair amount of that game also. Looking at the box score, you'd say both LeBron and Anthony Davis had great games, but I found both of them falling short of HoF level.

For Anthony Davis, he's still young, and I think he has a good shot at getting there. But with a 13-point lead in the fourth, he basically disappeared while LeBron did his hero-ball thing to bring the Cavs back and take the lead. A HoF performance by Davis would've included stepping up to keep his team in the lead. He tweaked his ankle earlier in the game, and he did a lot of really good things during the game, but he also showed that he has a ways to go before he fulfills that HoF potential.

As for LeBron, what I saw was more of what I saw in the finals -- everyone clear out to the right side of the floor so that he can iso on the left side of the floor. The Pelicans did a poor job defensively and let LeBron get to the rim again and again on those isos instead of doubling him to get the ball out of his hands or bringing a help defender earlier to contest at the rim.

LeBron is a physical marvel and a skilled player, but I continue to see that he believes his individual talent is supreme, not team basketball. He is successful often enough winning games through that individual talent that his belief is reinforced, but as long as there are talented, skilled teams playing team ball, he'll never win another title playing this way. I suppose you could say this is HoF play on his part, but it's not championship play.

An article on espn.com today talks about how he needs more help from his teammates, as if that's what it will take to beat the Warriors, but that's what hero ball does -- it maximizes the opportunity for success for the one while reducing the opportunity for success for everyone else. LeBron's inability to acknowledge that or find any fault with his own play is a fatal flaw.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next