A Plan for Motion

3 posters

Go down

A Plan for Motion Empty A Plan for Motion

Post by spike Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:20 am

When Nate joined the team, Doc had him instruct the team in a new offensive play borrowed from the Knicks. Rather than create a Chemistry Krakatoa by forcing Doc to install all new offensive plays this late in the season, I have a recommendation: Run Nate's play for Rondo! It's all about motion in the halfcourt. Why not? This team's offense is offensive to some basketball purists like myself. In fact, run Nate's play for Ray and Paul and Quis and Tony, too.

spike

Back to top Go down

A Plan for Motion Empty Re: A Plan for Motion

Post by Sam Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:33 am

Good idea, Spike. I had hoped that Doc's comments about the success of the motion idea would spawn more use of motion in the offense.

I expect his first goal is to get Nate and Michael used to the team's existing plays through learning and repetition. Perhaps then he'll introduce more motion offense, although that will be pretty late in the game.

Many's the time I have wished the Celtics had an assistant coach would be the offensive equivalent of Thibs. (I'd love to see Nellie in that position.) Maybe Eastman is supposed to be that guy. But I don't see a lot of creativity in the offensive scheme, and I'm not at all convinced it takes maximum advantage of various players' unique skills.

Since I contnue to feel that we know only a fraction of what's really going on, it could be that the makeup of the starting team is sufficiently diverse so that the team's offensive sets must necessarily be limited to the lowest common denominator—in other words, plays that the two stylistic extremes (which I'd view as Rondo and Pierce) can buy into. I hope that's not the case; but, sometimes when I see them walking the ball up, standing around in the halfcourt set, and shooting without moving the ball, I wonder.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:56 am

Apparently I've created a frankenstein with one of my rhetorical flourishes.

I think the idea is a good one. A new motion play.

I think Nellie would be a great offensive coach. That is, obviously, his forte. When people refer to "Nellie ball" they aren't talking about defense. I doubt that a coach that is only 23 victories away from being the coach with the most victories in NBA history would consider an assistant coaching job. Especially when his offseason home is in Hawaii, not Bangor. The next best thing might be to get one of his assistant coaches, like Keith Smart, if they don't ascend to his position when he finally hangs them up for good. If not Keith Smart, then maybe Stephen Silas (there's a name that would resonate in Boston!). Silas, son-of-you-know-who, currently develops perimeter players and manages the offensive and defensive playbooks for Nellie. So, a guy who manages Nellie's offensive playbook and who will take care of the perimeter player development the way Clifford Ray develops post players, we'd be set.

The GSW almost beat Atlanta the other day. They were sooo close. That's amazing when you consider that 1/2 their team are D-leaguers. Biedrins, the player that was mentioned in a trade scenario, is about to have abdominal surgery. Brandon Wright, Anthony Randolph and Azuibuike have been out the whole season. Ellis and Turiaf missed a bunch of games, as has Biedrins before this injury. Raja Bell played one game before his surgery. Radmanovic hasn't played in a month.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by spike Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:12 pm

You have to wonder if Doc would be amenable to developing a new offensive philosophy for the team, not now but next year. He and Danny have to have talked about ways to make Rondo even more effective. As I recall, Danny played on a team that would run occasionally and that had at least one player who moved without the ball.

When Danny took over, he talked about having a "vision" of how he wanted the team to be. I thought then and still think now that the running game was part of that vision. Nellie's playbook would be a tremendous step forward. Alternatively, has anyone seen Doug Moe lately?

One thing that confuses me greatly is the lack of input from former players. Tommy has a huge storehouse of knowledge and experience. Bob Cousy could probably have a few insights that Rondo wouldn't mind hearing: if not Cooz, then Tiny, who was schooled by Cooz. According to Sam, there is some kind of failure to communicate with the guys whose numbers hang from the rafters. That's a shame and a waste. When Red was alive, he kept a refrigerator full of beer for former players who came by to visit. Oh, the good old days.

Aside to bob: you didn't think I was going to forget about that Krakatoa crack, did you?

Second aside to bob: I looked it up and the closest word in Swahili to ganas is moyo. Rhymes with mojo.

spike

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 pm

tyroneshoelaces wrote:You have to wonder if Doc would be amenable to developing a new offensive philosophy for the team, not now but next year. He and Danny have to have talked about ways to make Rondo even more effective. As I recall, Danny played on a team that would run occasionally and that had at least one player who moved without the ball.

When Danny took over, he talked about having a "vision" of how he wanted the team to be. I thought then and still think now that the running game was part of that vision. Nellie's playbook would be a tremendous step forward. Alternatively, has anyone seen Doug Moe lately?

One thing that confuses me greatly is the lack of input from former players. Tommy has a huge storehouse of knowledge and experience. Bob Cousy could probably have a few insights that Rondo wouldn't mind hearing: if not Cooz, then Tiny, who was schooled by Cooz. According to Sam, there is some kind of failure to communicate with the guys whose numbers hang from the rafters. That's a shame and a waste. When Red was alive, he kept a refrigerator full of beer for former players who came by to visit. Oh, the good old days.

Aside to bob: you didn't think I was going to forget about that Krakatoa crack, did you?

Second aside to bob: I looked it up and the closest word in Swahili to ganas is moyo. Rhymes with mojo.

spike,

Swahili!! Good one.

wölfisch - german (ravenous, like a wolf);

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Spike,

Yes, my suspicions about the failure to retain contact with past icons were confirmed in spades by Jackie MacMullan. I feel very bad about that.

I wish they'd put some thought to putting together a periodic newsletter to all these guys. Keep them informed about what's happening. Ask their opinions occasionally on a variety of matters. Elicit their memories. Maybe tie it in with an initiative whereby someone would travel around and interview each of them for an historical archive, like the Red Sox have been quietly doing with their icons of the past.

Boy, what I wouldn't give to have that job. Crap, I'm probably too young.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:12 pm

Sam wrote:Spike,

Yes, my suspicions about the failure to retain contact with past icons were confirmed in spades by Jackie MacMullan. I feel very bad about that.

I wish they'd put some thought to putting together a periodic newsletter to all these guys. Keep them informed about what's happening. Ask their opinions occasionally on a variety of matters. Elicit their memories. Maybe tie it in with an initiative whereby someone would travel around and interview each of them for an historical archive, like the Red Sox have been quietly doing with their icons of the past.

Boy, what I wouldn't give to have that job. Crap, I'm probably too young.

Sam

Sam,

Never hurts to contact the Celtic front office and ask...

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down