If you want to see what basketball was like in the 60's - watch the all-star game Sunday.

5 posters

Go down

If you want to see what basketball was like in the 60's - watch the all-star game Sunday.   Empty If you want to see what basketball was like in the 60's - watch the all-star game Sunday.

Post by swish Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:26 am

Back in the 60's the all-star game saw each team averaging 110.1 shots per game. During the regular season the 60's Celtics averaged 108.9 shots per game while the league average was 103.1 per team.
During the 2000's All-star games teams have averaged 111.0 shots per game. During the regular seasons of the 2000's the league now only averages 80.7 shots per game per team.
No multiple defensive schemes back in the 60's; that's for sure.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

If you want to see what basketball was like in the 60's - watch the all-star game Sunday.   Empty Re: If you want to see what basketball was like in the 60's - watch the all-star game Sunday.

Post by wideclyde Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:43 pm

Swish,

They may not have played tons of defense during the regular season in the 1960s, but the defense they did play was much better than the ZERO defense played in the All Star game yesterday.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

If you want to see what basketball was like in the 60's - watch the all-star game Sunday.   Empty Re: If you want to see what basketball was like in the 60's - watch the all-star game Sunday.

Post by swish Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:16 pm

wideclyde wrote:Swish,

They may not have played tons of defense during the regular season in the 1960s, but the defense they did play was much better than the ZERO defense played in the All Star game yesterday.

wideclyde

Basketball at its worst. Zero defense. Normally the All-star game produces on average about 110 shots per team. Yesterday 143 per team.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:58 pm

The NFL All Star game is the worst, but the NBA game is not too far behind it. Not sure that I have watched a complete All Star game in years and years.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:34 pm

wideclyde wrote:The NFL All Star game is the worst, but the NBA game is not too far behind it.  Not sure that I have watched a complete All Star game in years and years.

I appreciate the value of showmanship in sports but unfortunately the all-star games have become all showmanship and no game.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:18 pm

swish wrote:
wideclyde wrote:The NFL All Star game is the worst, but the NBA game is not too far behind it.  Not sure that I have watched a complete All Star game in years and years.

I appreciate the value of showmanship in sports but unfortunately the all-star games have become all showmanship and no game.

swish

I wouldn't even go that far, tuned in partway thru the first half, watched about 2-3 minutes and never went back. Might as well play a pick up game. At l;east in baseball they do try to catch the ball and play defense. Pitchers do try to get the other player out. Batters do try to hit the ball. This was nothing more than a shoot around. Heck even in hockey the goalie tries to stop every shot. Of course the defense men don't lay out to stop a shot. Football heck all the "good" players want no part of it.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:23 pm

That was not a GAME last night it was an exhibition! It actually reached a ridiculous stage last night when they knew that Paul George was close to breaking Wilt's record and they put Draymond Green in to play defense on him so he would have a tough time scoring. Silly.

Whoever got the ball ran down and shot. How many assists were there? Very few except for those ally-oop passes for slam dunks.

So do not call it a game, why bother keeping score, they were putting on a show- period.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:08 pm

I thought Bomani Jones made a good observation -- just like you shouldn't think of Taco Bell as actual Mexican food, we shouldn't think of the all-star game as an actual basketball game. They're two different things.

Of course, I don't like Taco Bell, which makes the comparison even more apt for me.

I enjoyed the Saturday events more than I have in ages. The skills competition is odd since it came down to who could make a three-pointer first, but the three-point and dunk contests were both fun to watch. The dunk contest should've been a tie.

I did find one hidden gem on the NBA channel -- the Legends brunch, which they apparently have every year on all-star weekend. I didn't see the whole thing, but what I did see was very interesting.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:27 pm

Outside wrote:I thought Bomani Jones made a good observation -- just like you shouldn't think of Taco Bell as actual Mexican food, we shouldn't think of the all-star game as an actual basketball game. They're two different things.

Of course, I don't like Taco Bell, which makes the comparison even more apt for me.

I enjoyed the Saturday events more than I have in ages. The skills competition is odd since it came down to who could make a three-pointer first, but the three-point and dunk contests were both fun to watch. The dunk contest should've been a tie.

I did find one hidden gem on the NBA channel -- the Legends brunch, which they apparently have every year on all-star weekend. I didn't see the whole thing, but what I did see was very interesting.

Often wondered why MLBaseball doesn't do more in the way of a skills competition. All they have are big guys hitting homers off meat balls. I'd love to see pitchers hitting a baseball size target set up at home plate...........or an outfielder with a cannon arm make throws from the warning track to home plate for accuracy/and or speed in getting it there, an infielder making accurate throws to a target at first base. Or how about those baserunners running from second to home to see who is fastest.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:33 pm

Thus far this year, teams are averaging 23.8 3 point attempts per game. Yesterdays all-star game saw the West firing up 80 shots while the east only took 59 for a game average of 69.5 per team.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:40 pm

beat wrote:
Outside wrote:I thought Bomani Jones made a good observation -- just like you shouldn't think of Taco Bell as actual Mexican food, we shouldn't think of the all-star game as an actual basketball game. They're two different things.

Often wondered why MLBaseball doesn't do more in the way of a skills competition. All they have are big guys hitting homers off meat balls. I'd love to see pitchers hitting a baseball size target set up at home plate...........or an outfielder with a cannon arm make throws from the warning track to home plate for accuracy/and or speed in getting it there, an infielder making accurate throws to a target at first base. Or how about those baserunners running from second to home to see who is fastest.  

beat

Present the idea to the COMISH. Might be worth a couple tickets to the all-star game. I'm sure that they are always open to ideas that will dress up the game.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down