How Draymond Green nearly went to the Boston Celtics

5 posters

Go down

How Draymond Green nearly went to the Boston Celtics Empty How Draymond Green nearly went to the Boston Celtics

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:10 pm

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/golden-state-warriors-boston-celtics-draymond-green-nba-draft-031416

How Draymond Green nearly went to the Boston Celtics

How Draymond Green nearly went to the Boston Celtics Draymond-green.vadapt.980.high.61
How would Draymond Green have looked in a Celtics uniform?

By Michael Pina

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:17p ET

The Boston Celtics had two first-round picks in the 2012 NBA draft, and neither of them were used to select Draymond Green, a transcendent two-way force who's single-handedly proving how influential a defender can be.

This was a mistake, but isn't one anyone can fault the Celtics for making when 29 teams did the exact same thing. The Golden State Warriors eventually snatched Green up in the second round (as their third pick of the draft), and the rest is history.

But at this year's Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston, former Celtics forward Brian Scalabrine revealed that the team's assistant general manager, Mike Zarren, once had Green ranked third on his draft board. Instead, Boston selected Jared Sullinger at 21 and Fab Melo at 22.

Jake Fischer ✔ ‎@JakeLFischer
Brian Scalabrine just told the Sloan audience Celtics assistant GM Mike Zarren had Draymond Green ranked 3rd on his big board in 2012.
6:15 AM - 12 Mar 2016
 23 23 Retweets   32 32 likes

When he isn't hurt/out of shape, Sullinger is one of the better rebounders in the entire league. He can shoot, pass, defend and has tremendous touch around the basket. Melo, on the other hand, has already washed out of the league.

https://vine.co/v/iZXF0vAeDhD

The draft is a total crap shoot, and the Celtics would've been just as wise to select Khris Middleton, Will Barton, Festus Ezeli or Jae Crowder before Melo. But at the time, one of their top areas of need was rim protection, and adding an athletic seven-footer made sense.

Green isn't seven feet tall, but his wingspan, intuition and versatility have shifted how NBA talent evaluators weigh the prospects they're measuring.

Zarren was ahead of the curve, but, unfortunately, he didn't have final say.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

How Draymond Green nearly went to the Boston Celtics Empty Re: How Draymond Green nearly went to the Boston Celtics

Post by Outside Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:27 pm

Of the two picks the Warriors made at that point (no 30 Festus Ezeli and no. 35 Draymond Green), I think Ezeli would've been the better choice for Boston to make instead of Melo. Green is obviously the better player now, but he is the perfect fit with that team and system, and while he could be good anywhere, I don't think he'd be as good on most other teams.

Ezeli, on the other hand, could've fit right in with the Celtics, and as a center, he would've filled a bigger need that Green. Ezeli has been hampered by injury -- he lost the entire 2013-14 season after knee surgery -- and by being backup to Andrew Bogut. He could've gotten hurt in Boston, but the center position has been open for the taking, and he likely would've taken it. He is big, strong, and athletic, and he has some rudimentary offensive skills to complement his rebounding and defense. I think he would've made a more positive impact than Green.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

How Draymond Green nearly went to the Boston Celtics Empty Re: How Draymond Green nearly went to the Boston Celtics

Post by NYCelt Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:05 pm

Outside wrote:Of the two picks the Warriors made at that point (no 30 Festus Ezeli and no. 35 Draymond Green), I think Ezeli would've been the better choice for Boston to make instead of Melo. Green is obviously the better player now, but he is the perfect fit with that team and system, and while he could be good anywhere, I don't think he'd be as good on most other teams.

Ezeli, on the other hand, could've fit right in with the Celtics, and as a center, he would've filled a bigger need that Green. Ezeli has been hampered by injury -- he lost the entire 2013-14 season after knee surgery -- and by being backup to Andrew Bogut. He could've gotten hurt in Boston, but the center position has been open for the taking, and he likely would've taken it. He is big, strong, and athletic, and he has some rudimentary offensive skills to complement his rebounding and defense. I think he would've made a more positive impact than Green.

Outside,

I would agree that Green, while a decent player, would probably not have been the fit Ezeli might have been with Boston.

That's still one that nearly makes me sick; passing on Ezeli. Festus was on my wish list, and I still remember the utter disbelief that we took Fab Melo. Without a doubt one of the biggest bonehead draft choices the Celtics have made in recent memory.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:47 am

Draymond Green plays great off of Curry and Thompson, hes mobile and a good ball handler, he combines qualities of both forward positions, but he is not particularly good at creating his own shot. I think hes more of a player that thrives in the GS system, than a traditional PF like a young KG or Tim Duncan who could succeed anywhere. In our system if he was asked to do all the dirty work Sully has to do as an undersized center, I don't think he would do as good as Sully either.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:50 am

NYCelt wrote:
Outside wrote:Of the two picks the Warriors made at that point (no 30 Festus Ezeli and no. 35 Draymond Green), I think Ezeli would've been the better choice for Boston to make instead of Melo. Green is obviously the better player now, but he is the perfect fit with that team and system, and while he could be good anywhere, I don't think he'd be as good on most other teams.

Outside,

I would agree that Green, while a decent player, would probably not have been the fit Ezeli might have been with Boston.

That's still one that nearly makes me sick; passing on Ezeli.  Festus was on my wish list, and I still remember the utter disbelief that we took Fab Melo.  Without a doubt one of the biggest bonehead draft choices the Celtics have made in recent memory.

Regards

I remember you bringing his name up before the draft saying he could do alot of Perk like things and that he was a better athlete than Perk, isn't he a free agent after this season?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:11 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Draymond Green plays great off of Curry and Thompson, hes mobile and a good ball handler, he combines qualities of both forward positions, but he is not particularly good at creating his own shot. I think hes more of a player that thrives in the GS system, than a traditional PF like a young KG or Tim Duncan who could succeed anywhere. In our system if he was asked to do all the dirty work Sully has to do as an undersized center, I don't think he would do as good as Sully either.

Cow,

Why are you comparing Green to Sully? They play very different games, different positions, different roles.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:17 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Draymond Green plays great off of Curry and Thompson, hes mobile and a good ball handler, he combines qualities of both forward positions, but he is not particularly good at creating his own shot. I think hes more of a player that thrives in the GS system, than a traditional PF like a young KG or Tim Duncan who could succeed anywhere. In our system if he was asked to do all the dirty work Sully has to do as an undersized center, I don't think he would do as good as Sully either.

Cow,

Why are you comparing Green to Sully?  They play very different games, different positions, different roles.

bob

different games, both PF's

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:04 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

Outside,

That's still one that nearly makes me sick; passing on Ezeli.  Festus was on my wish list, and I still remember the utter disbelief that we took Fab Melo.  Without a doubt one of the biggest bonehead draft choices the Celtics have made in recent memory.

Regards

I remember you bringing his name up before the draft saying he could do alot of Perk like things and that he was a better athlete than Perk, isn't he a free agent after this season?

Yeah, restricted free agent. I think scheduled to make $3,000,000 or so next season. Not sure what it would take to get him away from Golden State though.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:16 pm

NYCelt wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

Outside,

Regards

Yeah, restricted free agent.  I think scheduled to make $3,000,000 or so next season.  Not sure what it would take to get him away from Golden State though.

Green re-signed with GS last summer for 5 years, $85m.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13185246/draymond-green-golden-state-warriors-agree-5-year-contract
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:23 pm

TJ,

I think they were talking about Ezeli being a restricted free agent this summer, not Green.

I would think Ezeli would be a priority for the Warriors, and I'm hopeful that he'll choose a hometown discount in order to stay with a special group that has great chemistry and a chance at multiple titles instead of chasing a larger payday elsewhere.

Harrison Barnes, however, seems intent on getting paid as much as possible, so another team may be able to lure him away.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:31 pm

Outside wrote:TJ,

I think they were talking about Ezeli being a restricted free agent this summer, not Green.

I would think Ezeli would be a priority for the Warriors, and I'm hopeful that he'll choose a hometown discount in order to stay with a special group that has great chemistry and a chance at multiple titles instead of chasing a larger payday elsewhere.

Harrison Barnes, however, seems intent on getting paid as much as possible, so another team may be able to lure him away.

Outside,

Ok, that does make sense now. :-)

Ezeli is a young guy. His time to make money is now. Hard to take a hometown discount, especially if you have already won 2 titles.
With all of the money teams have to spend this summer, Ezeli should get a significant offer as a restricted free agent. I wonder how high GS will go to re-sign him?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:15 pm

tjmakz wrote:Ezeli is a young guy. His time to make money is now. Hard to take a hometown discount, especially if you have already won 2 titles.
With all of the money teams have to spend this summer, Ezeli should get a significant offer as a restricted free agent. I wonder how high GS will go to re-sign him?

Ezeli is their future at the center position. It would have to be something outrageous for Golden State not to match.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down