Evan Turner discusses impending free agency

5 posters

Go down

Evan Turner discusses impending free agency Empty Evan Turner discusses impending free agency

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:45 am

Boston Celtics' Evan Turner discusses impending free agency

Evan Turner discusses impending free agency 20026296-mmmain
Boston Celtics guard Evan Turner (11) against Phoenix Suns guard John Jenkins (23) in the first quarter during an NBA basketball game, Saturday, March 26, 2016, in Phoenix. (AP photo/Rick Scuteri)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on April 19, 2016 at 8:35 AM

Evan Turner appreciates his situation with the Boston Celtics, but knows other factors will play into his big decision as a free agent this summer.

From a recent conversation with Bleacher Report's Brian Robb:

B/R: What does the future hold for you? You will be a free agent at the end of the season. Putting money aside, do you want to stay in Boston long term?
Turner: If we were playing for free and everything, I would for sure want to be here long term. At the same time, you have to do what's best for your career and family. I want to keep having the opportunity to go and develop. I'm hitting my prime and things like that. I want to play at a high level and grow.

B/R: The projected jump in the salary cap this summer will surely be nice for your free agency as well, yes?

Turner: I've been blessed so far financially. I came out when I was a rookie and with my endorsement deals and everything, I was making close to eight figures a year. I had some of my worst times with basketball then. When my payment got reduced, I had some of my most fun times.

I think it goes back to making sure it's fun, man. Enjoying coming to work. Sometimes, the financials are not always going to do it for me. I want to win, have the opportunity to play and play a lot.

Since arriving in Boston last summer, Turner has played an important role for the Celtics, handling the ball, making plays for others, and scoring at a high rate inside the arc. He's no outside marksmen, but rebounds, defends multiple positions, and does a nice job of targeting the spots where he can be effective. Turner can play any position from one to three, and sometimes even slides over to the four. Guys like that are important.

Still, the Celtics finished the regular season at No. 28 in 3-point field goal accuracy. One of their priorities this summer should be acquiring players who can punish defenses from outside the arc. Turner doesn't do that, but does just about everything else. Boston knows how many ways he's helped, but could wait to see how the rest of the roster fills up before deciding how hard to pursue him. Every other perimeter regular in the Celtics rotation is under contract for next season, and youngsters Terry Rozier, R.J. Hunter or James Young -- plus a heap of draft picks this summer -- loom as future options.

bob
MY NOTE: Turner drove me crazy last season and the first part of this season with his high, loose dribble and ME-balling, but he has settled down a lot and is now a more reliable floor general than IT. He has turned into an excellent bench player. I don't know what the going rate for him will be but I'd be happy with him coming back next year if it can all fit.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Evan Turner discusses impending free agency Empty Re: Evan Turner discusses impending free agency

Post by kdp59 Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:07 am

$8-12M?

thats what I'm thinking he should get , here or somewhere else.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Evan Turner discusses impending free agency Empty Re: Evan Turner discusses impending free agency

Post by Outside Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:37 am

Evan Turner was fifth in Sixth Man of the Year voting.

2015-16 KIA NBA SIXTH MAN OF THE YEAR RESULTS

Player | Team | 1st place (5 pts) | 2nd place (3 pts) | 3rd place (1 pt) | Total Points

Jamal Crawford | L.A. Clippers | 51 | 23 | 17 | 341
Andre Iguodala | Golden State Warriors | 33 | 35 | 18 | 288
Enes Kanter | Oklahoma City Thunder | 19 | 20 | 27 | 182
Will Barton | Denver Nuggets | 15 | 21 | 20 | 158
Evan Turner | Boston Celtics | 3 | 7 | 10 | 46
Ryan Anderson | New Orleans Pelicans | 4 | 6 | 5 | 43
Jeremy Lin | Charlotte Hornets | 1 | 6 | 7 | 30
Ed Davis | Portland Trail Blazers | 1 | 5 | 1 | 21
Dennis Schröder | Atlanta Hawks | 1 | 2 | 6 | 17
Tristan Thompson | Cleveland Cavaliers | 2 | 0 | 6 | 16
Shaun Livingston | Golden State Warriors | 0 | 1 | 4 | 7
J.J. Barea | Dallas Mavericks | 0 | 1 | 2 | 5
Boris Diaw | San Antonio Spurs | 0 | 1 | 2 | 5
Zach LaVine | Minnesota Timberwolves | 0 | 1 | 1 | 4
Darren Collison | Sacramento Kings | 0 | 1 | 0 | 3
Allen Crabbe | Portland Trail Blazers | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1
Jrue Holiday | New Orleans Pelicans | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1
Patrick Patterson | Toronto Raptors | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1
Mirza Teletovic | Phoenix Suns | 0 | 0 | 1 | 1
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:44 am

Earth to Jay King: James Young is not looming as a future prospect for the Boston Celtics.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:05 pm

Turner has made dramatic improvements since arriving in Boston. He apparently is a hard worker and is very coachable. His teammates and coaches seem to appreciate making positive comments every time you hear them speak about him.

Not sure what he will be worth on the free agent market, but a Crowder type deal will be good for the Cs even if he not a three point shooter of renown. Not every player is equally good at all skills, but Turner has been pretty good at many aspects of the game and has helped the Cs improve during his time in our uniform.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down