Ray Allen on Steph Curry's 3-point skills: He's 'in a category of his own'

+2
worcester
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Ray Allen on Steph Curry's 3-point skills: He's 'in a category of his own' Empty Ray Allen on Steph Curry's 3-point skills: He's 'in a category of his own'

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:45 am

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25558921/ray-allen-on-steph-currys-3-point-skills-hes-in-a-category-of-his-own

Ray Allen on Steph Curry's 3-point skills: He's 'in a category of his own'

By Ananth Pandian | NBA writer

April 18, 2016 3:00 pm ET

In his 18-year NBA career (which he still hasn't officially ended), Ray Allen made the most threes in NBA history (2,973) while shooting 40 percent from behind the arc. Whenever Allen rose up for a shot from beyond the arc, it was basically an automatic three points. The same can be said about Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry, who set the league record this season -- breaking his own record from a year ago -- for most made 3-pointers with 402 makes.

Curry is virtually automatic from anywhere on the court, even from near halfcourt. And with such impressive displays of shooting, Curry has quickly emerged as one of the best shooters in NBA history. Some are even calling Curry the best of the best and Allen is among that group.

From SLAM's Abe Schwadron's interview with Allen:

SLAM: Where do you rank Stephen Curry in terms of the greatest shooters in the history of the League? A lot of fans might argue that you hold that title.

RA: Based on what he's done, I think he has to be—he's on his way to being the best ever. It's always arguable, based on who's telling the story. One thing I always tell people is, it's hard to compare generations. Everybody has something or somebody that makes him feel special about the game, or the way they saw and the way they appreciate the game. I've sat back and watched a lot, and listened to a lot of people talk. He's creating a lane all of his own. People comparing him to me, to Reggie [Miller]. But I think Steph is in a category of his own. Just being able to have great handles the way he has with the ball, to be able to score at will by getting to the basket. Myself, Reggie Miller, Kyle Korver, Klay Thompson—we play a different game. We're shooters. We come off screens, pindowns—Steph can do that, but he's creating a different lane. Point guards haven't been able to do what he's been able to do, because he's mixing that 2 guard-ish in there with having the great handles of a point guard. When I broke the three-point record, they (Steph and Klay) watched that and it became something they said in their mind, this is what I want to do. Now, there are kids watching him, saying I want to work on these things, I want to be just like Steph.

Allen putting Curry into a "category of his own" is a sign of great respect for the Warriors guard. But how can you disagree with Allen? Curry is doing things no other player has ever done before, like coming down the court and hitting transition 3s from well behind the arc or draining 400 3s in a season.

Curry is in a category of his own all right and it's great to hear Allen show respect for the Warriors guard, instead of downplaying his greatness like other former players have done in the past.

bob
MY NOTE:  Curry is the best I have ever seen.  Ray said it well, he (and Reggie and Korver etal) come off of screens and go into their set motion.  With Ray Allen, it was always the same. His feet were always already set by the time the ball hit his hands. Curry can hit shots from 25' as he is spinning away from pressure and not squared up.  He shoots with a wrist flick rather than pulling the ball back over the head to make it harder for a defender to reach. Classic shooting mechanics are not just with the arms, but with the positioning of the feet and shoulders.  None of that seems to matter to Steph Curry.  If he can see it, regardless of whether his legs and torso are set or not, he can hit it.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Ray Allen on Steph Curry's 3-point skills: He's 'in a category of his own' Empty Re: Ray Allen on Steph Curry's 3-point skills: He's 'in a category of his own'

Post by worcester Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:49 am

A picture tells a thousand words. This NYT chart says it all about Steph Curry, who is literally "off the chart."

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/04/16/upshot/stephen-curry-golden-state-warriors-3-pointers.html?_r=0
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Ray Allen on Steph Curry's 3-point skills: He's 'in a category of his own' Empty Re: Ray Allen on Steph Curry's 3-point skills: He's 'in a category of his own'

Post by Outside Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:17 pm

worcester wrote:A picture tells a thousand words. This NYT chart says it all about Steph Curry, who is literally "off the chart."

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/04/16/upshot/stephen-curry-golden-state-warriors-3-pointers.html?_r=0

Putting it in chart form does make it obvious how much of an outlier Curry was this season.

Looking at the chart, it looks like they forgot to include Klay Thompson from this season (276 threes, the third best total in NBA history and the most by anyone other than Curry), but if you move your cursor over the list of names, he shows up. Having him and Curry in the same backcourt is something else altogether.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:32 pm

Never heard of this allen fella..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:28 pm

Matty wrote:Never heard of this allen fella..

Allen Ray caught a cup of coffee with the Celtics back in 2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Ray

Ray was not selected in the 2006 NBA Draft, surprising many Big East fans and some NBA experts. On July 6, 2006, he was signed as a free agent by the Boston Celtics. Ray was sent to the D-League Austin Toros, but was recalled after just two games there. He led the Toros in scoring in both games he played for them. During the last two months of the season, Ray began receiving extended playing time with the Celtics, and had two 22-point games and three others where he scored 20, 18 and 17 points. Ray was also fourth among rookies in three-point percentage. Despite a seemingly bright future in Boston, Ray agreed to terms on a $2 million contract to play in Italy, instead of having the Celtics pick up his $687,456 option.

Apparently, he is a good three-point shooter.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:58 pm

gyso wrote:
Matty wrote:Never heard of this allen fella..

Allen Ray caught a cup of coffee with the Celtics back in 2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Ray

Ray was not selected in the 2006 NBA Draft, surprising many Big East fans and some NBA experts. On July 6, 2006, he was signed as a free agent by the Boston Celtics. Ray was sent to the D-League Austin Toros, but was recalled after just two games there. He led the Toros in scoring in both games he played for them. During the last two months of the season, Ray began receiving extended playing time with the Celtics, and had two 22-point games and three others where he scored 20, 18 and 17 points. Ray was also fourth among rookies in three-point percentage. Despite a seemingly bright future in Boston, Ray agreed to terms on a $2 million contract to play in Italy, instead of having the Celtics pick up his $687,456 option.

Apparently, he is a good three-point shooter.

gyso

I remember him well.  Played 4 years for Villanova.  Very skilled long range shooter, had a real good college career.  'Nova had a nice run in the '06 NCAA tourney with Ray as part of a four guard lineup.  Fun team to watch run and gun.  

Thought he might stick around, but after one season as a Celtic went out the door as Ray Allen came in.  I heard he still plays in Italy, although I'm not certain about that.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down