Do The Hornets Really Have To Trade Either Chris Paul Or Darren Collison?

2 posters

Go down

Do The Hornets Really Have To Trade Either Chris Paul Or Darren Collison? Empty Do The Hornets Really Have To Trade Either Chris Paul Or Darren Collison?

Post by Brandon$$ Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Do The Hornets Really Have To Trade Either Chris Paul Or Darren Collison?
Do The Hornets Really Have To Trade Either Chris Paul Or Darren Collison? Darren-collison1Do The Hornets Really Have To Trade Either Chris Paul Or Darren Collison? PicImg_Boston_Celtics_vs_2d24

New Orleans Hornets rookie point guard Darren Collison has been on a nice little role since Chris Paul went down with a knee injury last month. It's not just the numbers he's been putting up, but it's also the unique poise he's demonstrated - a prerequisite to being a good floor leader in the NBA - that has gotten the attention of the masses.

"I think the consistency that he's shown throughout the past month and a half playing against high-level point guards and high-level teams is something that has really been a big plus for our team," said Hornets head coach Jeff Bower. "His ability to manage the game and direct our offense and defense is something a lot of first year players have a much more difficult time with. Those are all things that have been really good for us and big steps forward for him."

"The scary thing is that he's still learning," added assistant coach Robert Pack, who is responsible for working out the Hornets' point guards prior to every game. "Once he gets it... look out."

Opponents are also noticing Collison's abilities.

"I like him," asserted Denver Nuggets starting point guard Chauncey Billups. "He's very solid. He's got a pretty good understanding of the game at a young age as far as pick-and-rolls. He also takes command out there, which is surprising for a rookie. He shoots a lot better than people know -- mid-range and from three. He's nice, man. I like his game."

Of course, with Collison's success has come rumors that either he or even Paul could be moved this summer. The thinking of the folks suggesting this is that the team could take one of two players who play the same position and help dump salary and/or add talent at other spots. While that does make some sense on the surface, people inside the Hornets organization believe the two guards can play together.

When asked if he could foresee a situation where Paul and Collison are on the court together long-term, Bower didn't hesitate in replying: "Yes, I do. I think they are both team first guys who have a willingness to share the ball and to create things for others. They have the speed and quickness that would allow them to be pretty effective together in the open floor. Chris could be a dynamic scorer if that was a role that was kind of put forward for him. I think it's an exciting combination to look at for parts of games. It's something we were starting to do a little prior to his injury."

Collison believes it could work, too. He also knows his current place in the pecking order.

"We were playing a little bit together before he got injured, so I'm interested to see how things will go, too, myself," Collison admitted. "At the same time, it's just going to be regular basketball. We should be a lot better team with him in the lineup. He's our best player right now, there's no question about that."

When asked what he thinks when he hears the media say that either he or Paul likely has to go, Collison replied: "You've just got to find out. It's not about what people say, it's about us. We've got to figure out a way to coexist."

Billups, a connoisseur of point guard play, also believes that Collison and Paul can play on the court at the same time in the future.

"Absolutely, they can," Billups said without hesitation. "The way that the Hornets play -- up-and-down, running and gunning -- absolutely they can play together. Anytime you are in a position where you have two really good point guards you're always going to have a chance. If you look at the situation with CP out right now, they are probably playing about the same in terms of wins and losses. If you have a guy who can come in and hold the ship down, that's a big thing. And then when you can play them together, it just gives you more weapons and a different look. It could be very hard to defend."

Certainly the Hornets are in a position to entertain potential trade offers for one of their point guards this summer. However, the best option very well could involve keeping both guys and letting them work their magic on the floor together.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=15685
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Do The Hornets Really Have To Trade Either Chris Paul Or Darren Collison? Empty Re: Do The Hornets Really Have To Trade Either Chris Paul Or Darren Collison?

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:39 am

I think they're nuts if they trade Collison. He's not just a kid with potential, he's actually showing he can run a team and win, but they need help and packaging him with Peja might get them some.

bob

/
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down