David Stern: There Was Never A Chris Paul To Lakers Trade To 'Void'

3 posters

Go down

David Stern: There Was Never A Chris Paul To Lakers Trade To 'Void' Empty David Stern: There Was Never A Chris Paul To Lakers Trade To 'Void'

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:41 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244231/David-Stern-There-Was-Never-A-Chris-Paul-To-Lakers-Trade-To-Void

David Stern: There Was Never A Chris Paul To Lakers Trade To 'Void'

DEC 8, 2016 3:48 PM

David Stern was asked about the proposed trade of Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers that was canceled by him when the NBA were assuming control of the-then New Orleans Hornets.

Paul was to be traded to the Lakers with Pau Gasol going to the Houston Rockets in a blockbuster three-team trade.

The Los Angeles Clippers eventually traded for Paul and New Orleans won the lottery to draft Anthony Davis the next year.

"I'm going to correct your language: What 'cancellation'? The GM [Dell Demps] was not authorized to make that trade," said Stern when asked about the canceled trade. "And acting on behalf of owners, we decided not to make it. I was an owner rep. There was nothing to 'void.' It just never got made.

"When you're the commissioner and you have two teams that are ticked off at you, as in the Lakers and Houston, and the GMs without wanting to be attributed, spend their time trashing you, the wrong impression can be granted. It was one of the few times I decided to just go radio silent and let it play out, and I got killed. So, the answer is: there was never a trade. It was never approved by me as the owner rep."

When the decision was made in 2011, a league spokesman said: “League office declined to make the trade for basketball reasons.”

bob
MY NOTE:  So Dictator Stern considered himself an "owner's rep" and not a Commissioner of a league, which would infer at least a modicum of impartiality?  Interesting.  I wonder if he thought of himself that way when he wasn't talking about a franchise owned by the league. Furthermore, he is saying the New Orleans then-Hornets GM Dell Demps didn't have the authority to make the deal.  So, what happened was that the league office, which had control of the Hornets and were looking for a buyer, polled the owners and the Lakers and Rockets got outvoted. The Clips got CP3, the Hornets got Anthony Davis and the Lakers got Kobe on his last legs and no supporting cast.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

David Stern: There Was Never A Chris Paul To Lakers Trade To 'Void' Empty Re: David Stern: There Was Never A Chris Paul To Lakers Trade To 'Void'

Post by gyso Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:54 pm

My bologna has a first name, its D-a-v-i-d,
my bologna has a second name, its S-t-e-r-n,

He likes to make it up each day,
and when you ask me I will sayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

David Stern has a way, with b-o-l-o-g-n-a

Back to top Go down

David Stern: There Was Never A Chris Paul To Lakers Trade To 'Void' Empty Re: David Stern: There Was Never A Chris Paul To Lakers Trade To 'Void'

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:13 pm

why don't you just say hes full of shit....???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down