sinus007
gyso
swish
tjmakz
dboss
bobheckler
11 posters

Go down

Chris Mannix says Al Horford alone could take the Celtics to the next level Empty Chris Mannix says Al Horford alone could take the Celtics to the next level

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:43 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/mannix-id-give-horford-4-year-max-contract?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

MANNIX: I’D GIVE HORFORD 4-YEAR MAX CONTRACT

By CSN Video April 22, 2016 7:45 PM

Chris Mannix says Al Horford alone could take the Celtics to the next level.

bob
MY NOTE: Horford or Whiteside? Which would you rather have? Horford is much older, 29 vs 26 (yes, Whiteside is that old), but he is MUCH more versatile. He is a 4x All-Star while Whiteside is still in the novelty phase of his career. Offensively, I don't think it's even close. Horford runs better and has better range. Defensively, Whiteside might be better at the rim but he is uncomfortable leaving the paint while Horford will follow a shooter out to the 3pt arc (he blocked a 3pt fgas by Hunter in game 2). Al Horford is #2 in contested shots in the playoffs so far. That is an important hustle stat. Whiteside is #1, but it's real close with Horford having 16.0 contested shots/game vs 16.3 for Whiteside.

Then there is the question of money. If Durant and Whiteside aren't available, do you throw the money at Horford?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Chris Mannix says Al Horford alone could take the Celtics to the next level Empty Re: Chris Mannix says Al Horford alone could take the Celtics to the next level

Post by dboss Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:08 pm

Whiteside and we will find other shooters

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Chris Mannix says Al Horford alone could take the Celtics to the next level Empty Re: Chris Mannix says Al Horford alone could take the Celtics to the next level

Post by tjmakz Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:24 pm

Whiteside can be a game changer.
Horford is a consistent 15 and 7 guy but I would rather have Whiteside who actually averages more points per minute than Horford does.
Horford has a lot of NBA minutes on his body compared to Whiteside.
Horford won't even replace the rebounding of Sullinger if Sully leaves.
So, Horford bringing Boston to the next level? I don't see it.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:33 pm

What is the next level?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:07 pm

If onboard, Horford may be the guy that convinces "The Guy" to come onboard as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:17 pm

gyso wrote:If onboard, Horford may be the guy that convinces "The Guy" to come onboard as well.

Gyso,

Normally the stars and superstars go first.
Others will probably sign after Durant.
With most teams being able to sign one max free-agent this year and a number of teams being able to sign two max free agents, the order of the signings this year will probably be based on the top guys going first and so on. I definitely think Horford or Whiteside  might want to play with Durant. I think the Durant signing is so important because the team that signs Durant might have an advantage to sign Russell Westbrook next summer.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:39 pm

tjmakz wrote:
gyso wrote:If onboard, Horford may be the guy that convinces "The Guy" to come onboard as well.

Gyso,

Normally the stars and superstars go first.
Others will probably sign after Durant.
With most teams being able to sign one max free-agent this year and a number of teams being able to sign two max free agents, the order of the signings this year will probably be based on the top guys going first and so on. I definitely think Horford or Whiteside  might want to play with Durant. I think the Durant signing is so important because the team that signs Durant might have an advantage to sign Russell Westbrook next summer.

KG is my example, as to what is normal, who knows?

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:12 am

ISN'T WHITESIDE A HEAD CASE?

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:15 am

Hi,
First, I agree with Mannix about AH.
Second, I'd get AH over HW. 2 reasons for that: a) versatility (it's what Brad preaches) and b) AH will attract other star(s), as Gyso mentioned, much better than HW.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:10 am

If Horford brings another star with him, something Whiteside may not have the cache to do, then yeah he takes them to the next level.

Horford and a trade using the Nets pick (if it falls outside the top 2) for Butler or Harden obviously takes us to the next level as well.

Horford in years 2-3 of his contract here with Simmons or Ingram could take us there as well. Assuming those guys become at least Wiggins good by year 2. Horford and Simmons are actually closer in age than Kareem and Magic were.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Ram wrote:If Horford brings another star with him, something Whiteside may not have the cache to do, then yeah he takes them to the next level.

Horford and a trade using the Nets pick (if it falls outside the top 2) for Butler or Harden obviously takes us to the next level as well.

Horford in years 2-3 of his contract here with Simmons or Ingram could take us there as well. Assuming those guys become at least Wiggins good by year 2. Horford and Simmons are actually closer in age than Kareem and Magic were.

True, Whiteside isn't going to draw the same attention from other NBA vets.  Horford is 29, so maybe on the upper end of players we would want age-wise, if we're thinking long-term.  If he came in, and we kept a low target age for anyone thinking of following, we might be in good shape.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:02 pm

Whiteside. period. Where has Horford been during this series, especially last night. Are we to believe he is hurt? All I do know is he has been a non factor in this series. I would take my chances with Whiteside.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:09 pm

112288 wrote:ISN'T WHITESIDE A HEAD CASE?

That is my understanding. He is also not a good fit for our offense. He will not leave the paint.

I don't want him in our shade of green.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:35 pm

Horford is a very well-rounded player, and would most certainly be a plus for the Celtics. I think he could also influence another star to join in as well. The Celtics are a competitive team now, but still need a few more pieces to be able to contend for a title. With teams like SAS, GSW, and CLE, you need to have as much firepower as humanly possible to go to war with them.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:57 pm

I'll go with Whiteside. Excellent offensive and defensive numbers. Since he won't be 28 until June he stretches out the window of opportunity to put together a championship team if the short range plans don't pan out. Plenty of chips left in the bank to land a couple of elite scorers over the next few years.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:18 pm

Gyso I agree completely. A Hordford and Love or Durant. Now you are cooking!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down