Is there a 'divide' in Celtics' locker room? Chris Mannix sees signs

+4
dboss
RosalieTCeltics
NYCelt
8 posters

Go down

Is there a 'divide' in Celtics' locker room? Chris Mannix sees signs Empty Is there a 'divide' in Celtics' locker room? Chris Mannix sees signs

Post by 112288 Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:50 pm

Is there a 'divide' in Celtics' locker room? Chris Mannix sees signs

NBC SPORTS BOSTON By Darren Hartwell January 12, 2019 11:50 PM

The Boston Celtics lost two games in Florida this week that both included on-court disagreements between teammates.

On Thursday, it was Marcus Morris shoving Jaylen Brown during a timeout in a loss to the Miami Heat. On Saturday, it was Kyrie Irving barking at Gordon Hayward after a failed final possession in a defeat to the Orlando Magic.

FORSBERG: Kyrie demands more from young Celtics

So, were those incidents one-off moments of frustration or part of a bigger issue?

Chris Mannix believes it could be the latter. On NBC Sports Boston's postgame show Saturday night, Mannix explained how postgame comments from Al Horford and Kyrie Irving suggest there could be a divide between the Celtics' young players and veterans.

If you couple those comments that Kyrie Irving just made with what we heard earlier from Al Horford, it sure sounds pretty targeted toward the young players on this team. And Kyrie said as much. The youth of this team, that they haven’t experienced this before. They don’t know, they don’t have that sense of urgency that you need to have.

It does seem like there’s a divide in that locker room between the veterans on that team and the younger players on that team. I don’t know how big that divide is, how significant it is, is it fractured. But there does seem to be kind of a chasm that exists between those two sides.

The C's have struggled to find cohesion this season, as they're currently fifth in the Eastern Conference despite a deep, talented roster. Part of those struggles could be attributed to growing pains as players adapt to new roles.

Then again, winning cures all, and Boston still has 40 games left in the regular season to come together as a group.

Back to top Go down

Is there a 'divide' in Celtics' locker room? Chris Mannix sees signs Empty Re: Is there a 'divide' in Celtics' locker room? Chris Mannix sees signs

Post by NYCelt Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:54 pm

Not so sure there's a divide. Stuff happens, and there may be some over-reaction here.

What I do think there is, however, is Kyrie doing an absolutely crappy job of trying to be any kind of a leader.

Maybe better if he zips it shut and tries to lead by example. Save the frustrated looks and the non-sensical monologs for his next movie.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Is there a 'divide' in Celtics' locker room? Chris Mannix sees signs Empty Re: Is there a 'divide' in Celtics' locker room? Chris Mannix sees signs

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:55 am

I have said it in another post......Airing dirty laundry is not THE CELTICS WAY. Red would not have tolerated this crap. You have something to say to your teammates? Close the door and say it. Trying to embarrass them is not the answer. He may be right, I do not doubt that. The young guys are just playing like it is a pick up game at times. No sense of urgency at all. Jaylen seemed to be working his way out of whatever it was he was going through, we will see what happens tonight. Rozier???? I don't have a clue.
Tatum is being pumped up as an all star, years ago he would have had to do alot more to get this consideration, There are guys playing better than him who have gotten no recognition, Not right just because the league wants a new generation of super stars.

Here is hoping they find their way out of this mess, if not some of them will be gone

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Losing produces tension. After they smacked down Indy there were all smiles, hugs and high fives, now there is a canyon?

If there is tension it is coming from the vets like Kyrie that expects to win.

The real question is how Brad Stevens handles the situation. He could do a BB on those guys and get the players to close ranks. It always seems to work when you blame the media because the media are the ones who want and live for controversy.

What the Celtics need is a little more we.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 pm

NYCelt wrote:Not so sure there's a divide. Stuff happens, and there may be some over-reaction here.

What I do think there is, however, is Kyrie doing an absolutely crappy job of trying to be any kind of a leader.

Maybe better if he zips it shut and tries to lead by example. Save the frustrated looks and the non-sensical monologs for his next movie.

Interesting take NYCelt - you might not be alone. Below is an excerpt from The Ringer about NBA teams that need to make a trade:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1/14/18181771/2019-nba-trade-deadline-tracker-live-blog-rumors

Boston Celtics: If Kyrie Irving is going to IRL subtweet his teammates like LeBron, he has to do a better job of covering his tracks. After freaking out on his coach and his teammates for not giving him the last shot in Saturday’s loss to the Orlando Magic, Irving blamed “experience.” The players on the court with Irving for the final possession? Al Horford (12th year), Gordon Hayward (ninth), Marcus Morris (eighth) … and Jayson Tatum (second). Quite the mystery. There’s something off about this Celtics team, and I’m not sure that Irving has the proper essential oil diffuser to fix it. We’re not at the point where we need to start talking about breaking up the core—although, a quick reminder: Horford is 32 years old and able to opt out this summer, Hayward is still playing below replacement level, and one of their more reliable players just shoved a teammate in the huddle—but is there anything stopping Danny Ainge from sacrificing Terry Rozier and/or one of those many first-round picks for the greater good?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:50 pm

Depends on what you need player experience/position wise to trade for.  At this point, I would not sacrifice Rozier.  As much as everyone says he is no Irving....well Rondo was no Westbrook and did the necessary things to get the job done.

I think Rosier can do all the necessary things that the Celtics need to win.  He has proved it in the past.  

Funny how things started to unravel and friction surfaced in Cleveland with Irving on the team.

Just saying..........................

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Comparing Rozier to Irving is like comparing a PT Cruiser ( my car) to a Lamborghini
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:37 pm

You missed my point, you do not need a Lamborghini at point guard to win a title if you get a legit center and a wing. Rondo was a perfect example, could not hit the ocean from 20 feet out.

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:12 pm

I feel like one problem that they're trying to fit Hayward into a meaningful role in the rotation which has impacted the flow for some of the other guys out there. The Celtics never really "had" him last year so they predictably forged an identity without him.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:03 am

112288 wrote:You missed my point, you do not need a Lamborghini at point guard to win a title if you get a legit center and a wing.  Rondo was a perfect example, could not hit the ocean from 20 feet out.

I got your point. I just disagree with it. Rondo had Pierce, Allen and Garnett. Kyrie doesn't and I don't believe Rozier is good enough to  be the starting point guard on a championship team. His game is pretty  much the opposite of Rondo's.He's a score -first point guard and he isn't nearly as good at it as Kyrie.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:19 am

Rozier couldn’t hold young Rondo’s jockstrap, young Rondo had great vision and handle, as good as Chris Paul, just couldn’t shoot and was elite defender. Rozier is an adventure everytime with the ball in halfcourt, and his defense has mysteriously dropped off. How many times did Rondo lead league in assists? 3 times all defensive, Rozier is a bad back up right now....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:24 am

k_j_88 wrote:I feel like one problem that they're trying to fit Hayward into a meaningful role in the rotation which has impacted the flow for some of the other guys out there. The Celtics never really "had" him last year so they predictably forged an identity without him.

KJ

EXACTLY!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down