gyso
steve3344
bobheckler
jeb
sdceltfan
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Celtics Have To Start Taking Some Charges - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics Have To Start Taking Some Charges

Post by jeb Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:22 pm

tj

Pierce labored for years with a bad team. The second he got teamates that could handle the action he led them to a title outplaying the nba's two superstars James and Bryant along the way. He is an elite player and a lock for the hall of fame. Besides if the top 5 guys get calls the rest of the guys don't that is two different sets of rules and should be eliminated.

The nba is very difficult to officiate but that does not excuse Joe Crawford, Bavetta and the rest of a very rotten bunch. At the very least it's time for some new blood.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Celtics Have To Start Taking Some Charges - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics Have To Start Taking Some Charges

Post by jeb Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:23 pm

Beat

I grew up in TN so am a Summit fan to the core. If she dont beat Gino this year she'll get him next year. They have both built and sustained brilliant hoop programs for many many years.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:28 pm

Bugs me when things like "you do not want to decide the game" comes into effect.

If you have called something all game then call it all game, until the last shot.

The last bucket is worth just as much as the ones made in the first quarter. By not making a call you are impacting the game too.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:31 pm

jeb65 wrote:tj

Pierce labored for years with a bad team. The second he got teamates that could handle the action he led them to a title outplaying the nba's two superstars James and Bryant along the way. He is an elite player and a lock for the hall of fame. Besides if the top 5 guys get calls the rest of the guys don't that is two different sets of rules and should be eliminated.

The nba is very difficult to officiate but that does not excuse Joe Crawford, Bavetta and the rest of a very rotten bunch. At the very least it's time for some new blood.

jeb,

All very good points as usual. I guess it is just how we view games.
I am upset with the calls against LA and you with Boston.
Others here view or insinuate that the referees are dirty or cheaters. That is quite an accusation.
I am all for fresh blood refereeing NBA games and MLB. You might be complaining about someone else when the older guys retire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:35 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:Bugs me when things like "you do not want to decide the game" comes into effect.

If you have called something all game then call it all game, until the last shot.

The last bucket is worth just as much as the ones made in the first quarter. By not making a call you are impacting the game too.

swede,

Do the players play with the same intensity in minute 9 as they do in the last minute? No.
The referees don't want to decide the game because of the whistle.
All players know there is a little more lee-way in the last minutes so they should play accordingly.

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:37 pm

Swede

I tend to agree with you. What is a foul in the first three quarters should be a foul in the last. Problem is they are not consistant at all. Too many ticky tack calls then when someone does get battered.................nothing.

I've got a good friend that is the local High School rules interpreter for the local refs board. He is always saying it comes down to advantage/disadvantage. Did the contact by the player cause an unfair advantage for him? If it does then a foul should be called.

You look at all the very minor contact with players driving to the hoop and a player only reaches in from the side or has a hand on the guys hip and the player is virtually unaffected and still dunks. In those cases there should be no call.

No one want s to see 60 fould shots a game either. Just make the call consistant with the rules for everyone.

beat

If a ref is hit by a tree falling in the forest, does anyone hear anything? Does anyone care.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:52 pm

beat

If a ref is hit by a tree falling in the forest, does anyone hear anything? Does anyone care.[/quote]

beat,

It all depends on whether it happened early on the hike or when he was almost back at the ranch.

bob

/
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:55 pm

tjmakz wrote:
swedeinestonia wrote:Bugs me when things like "you do not want to decide the game" comes into effect.

swede,

Do the players play with the same intensity in minute 9 as they do in the last minute? No.
All players know there is a little more lee-way in the last minutes so they should play accordingly.

So on the last shot when you are down one it is ok with more contact from the defender because the shooter should act "accordingly"?

Please.

It is not difficult to see how a game could be decided by a "no call".
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:58 pm

beat wrote:Swede

I tend to agree with you. What is a foul in the first three quarters should be a foul in the last. Problem is they are not consistant at all. Too many ticky tack calls then when someone does get battered.................nothing.

I've got a good friend that is the local High School rules interpreter for the local refs board. He is always saying it comes down to advantage/disadvantage. Did the contact by the player cause an unfair advantage for him? If it does then a foul should be called.

You look at all the very minor contact with players driving to the hoop and a player only reaches in from the side or has a hand on the guys hip and the player is virtually unaffected and still dunks. In those cases there should be no call.

No one want s to see 60 fould shots a game either. Just make the call consistant with the rules for everyone.

Yeah in general I have more of a problem with too many fouls than too few. I guess it is kind of "old" but let the players play! You dont have to hammer the guy to the floor but just touching somebody makes for some annoying fouls.

In general the fouls that get called are usually correct as in you can find grounds for them in the rules, they are just called randomly it feels like.

beat

If a ref is hit by a tree falling in the forest, does anyone hear anything? Does anyone care.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi,
On the subject of zebras.
I'm not aware of any hard evidence that'd prove either way. On the other hand if there was hard evidence of fixing games it would probably ruin NBA as we know it now. On the other hand, again, millions and millions are glued to TVs watching WWF.
Also, Physiology 101 tells us that with age human reflexes go to ... (you know). So, what do you expect from 50-60 year olds who make or, rather pretend to make their decisions based on those reflexes?

On the subject of taking charges.
I think PP takes more of those than others because he knows that refs will give him benefit of a doubt much more than to, say, Perk or Sheed.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:16 pm

beat,

I agree with your friend. I play bb every week and I will only call a foul on someone when I have the ball if it causes a missed shot or a turnover.
When LA played Boston and LA won by 1 point, Celtics fans were all upset at the offensive foul called against Pierce. Artest did exaggerate the push off but it clearly did give Pierce separation so the referee had to make the call.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:25 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

swede,

So on the last shot when you are down one it is ok with more contact from the defender because the shooter should act "accordingly"?

Please.

It is not difficult to see how a game could be decided by a "no call".

That is the way it is with all sports. They don't want to call a ticky tack foul that would decide a game.
It happens in the NBA, NFL and NHL.
How many penalties have you ever seen called in the last 30 seconds of a tied game in the NHL?

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:32 pm

TJ

Your quote

I will only call a foul on someone when I have the ball if it causes a missed shot or turnover.

Take it your in a league or a pick up game and call your own fouls.
So if you have very minor contact while your shooting and it really doesn't affect your shot at all, but you miss........"No wait thats a foul!" As the ball rolls around the rim and off.

Man I don't know if i'd wanta play against you.

Celtics Have To Start Taking Some Charges - Page 2 6a00d810

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Hey TJ

Go and check the C's in 1976 playing game six in Buffalo and Jo Jo White is fouled with the game TIED and no time is on the clock.

Jo Jo steps to the line and sinks both to win the seriesfor the C's. It was clearly a foul as he got hit on the elbow on his jumper but many said it should not have been called at that time to decide the game.

BUT IT WAS A FOUL ........and was rightfully called.

You can find the clip of this on you tube but i'm to lazy right now to look it up.
I remember becaus I was there!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:48 pm

beat wrote:Hey TJ

Go and check the C's in 1976 playing game six in Buffalo and Jo Jo White is fouled with the game TIED and no time is on the clock.

Jo Jo steps to the line and sinks both to win the seriesfor the C's. It was clearly a foul as he got hit on the elbow on his jumper but many said it should not have been called at that time to decide the game.

BUT IT WAS A FOUL ........and was rightfully called.

You can find the clip of this on you tube but i'm to lazy right now to look it up.
I remember becaus I was there!

beat

beat,

In the Xavier-Kansas State game last night Xavier was down 3 and an Xavier player was fouled beyond the 3 point line with time running out and it was called. He stepped to the line, hit all three free throws (hear that Rondo?) and sent it into OT.

Some refs can't tell time and just call'em like they see'em.

bob

/
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:54 pm

Bob

I can recall many NHL games where penalties were called late to help decide games. Look at missed calls in the World series. Who can forget the FOUL ball call for the Yanks down the left field line when the Ump was right there staring at it and still COULD NOT SEE IT!!

Who remembers Jeffery Mahher (sp) gave a homer to Jeter and took an apparently easy catch from Toni Tarrasco.( in the Playoffs)

Or calls late in football when a flag keeps a drive alive ...or kills it.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:58 pm

bob,

There was 5 seconds left when the foul was called and he hit the 3 free throws.
Kansas State wanted to foul but the Xavier played anticipated the foul and shot the ball as he was being fouled.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:03 pm

beat,

I have never heard of the Jo Jo White controversy but I will look it up when I can.
We call fouls during or right after you shoot. Often, we call a foul and the ball goes in anyway.
Often the defensive person calls the foul o nthemselves even if the offensive player doesn't.
We play with an honest group of guys and we honor each others calls even if we feel maybe it wasn't the right call or it was a weak call...

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:05 pm

tj and all

I saw every second of that game(kstate) and it was one of the best games of all time. Just clutch shot after shot and a book of Job level of effort.

And I cant play anymore cause of my health but played my whole life. Enough to know the rulebook and to be able to see a foul. All I want is to see the rules enforced evenly but things just dont work like that. I wish they did cause there is really no point in having a rulebook if you dont enforce it. It becomes a general guideline for most players...
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:11 pm

TJ

Sort of kidding on my end about your hoop story. I used to go down to school once a week to play but it got too much like wrestling and wasn't fun, every week was the NBA finals. SO I quit going and got old and fat..........and married.

And now I can't even kick Marcus butt in PIG or HORSE..........best of three........errrrr best of 5 ..........7............9!!! IQUIT!!!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2