REPORT: LAKERS TO EXPLORE TRADING NO. 2 PICK, WHICH COULD HAMPER CELTICS EFFORTS TO DEAL THIRD PICK

+2
kdp59
6 posters

Go down

REPORT: LAKERS TO EXPLORE TRADING NO. 2 PICK, WHICH COULD HAMPER CELTICS EFFORTS TO DEAL THIRD PICK Empty REPORT: LAKERS TO EXPLORE TRADING NO. 2 PICK, WHICH COULD HAMPER CELTICS EFFORTS TO DEAL THIRD PICK

Post by 112288 Thu May 19, 2016 7:13 pm

WEEI

Brandon Ingram looks like the No. 2 pick. (Richard Mackson/USA Today Sports)

According to a story on Bleacher Report, the Lakers will seriously entertain offers for the No. 2 pick in the draft, which is widely expected to be Duke shooter Brandon Ingram. Such a move could seriously impact the Celtics.

If Los Angeles deals the No. 2 pick, that would make the Celtics’ third pick that much less valuable. If the Philadelphia 76ers select LSU’s Ben Simmons first overall, as expected, the Lakers hold the ticket for Ingram. The talent dropoff is considered steep after those two and the Celtics own first crack at the best of the rest.

Still, if a club is willing to listen on a player like Chicago’s Jimmy Butler, Indiana’s Paul George, or Philadelphia’s Jahlil Okafor, the second pick will be a lot more enticing than the third.

The Lakers, according to the report, are willing to listen on the pick because they want to improve sooner rather than later, particularly with the 76ers holding their first-round pick next year if it falls outside the top three.

From the story:

Still, the Lakers will actively explore trading the pick. They want to get better as soon as possible—in part to make sure Philadelphia doesn’t get too good of a pick next year when the Lakers’ first-rounder conveys to the 76ers if it’s outside the top three. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak is also seeking a better blend of youth and experience on the roster.

But it’s an open question if the Lakers can find a star another club is willing to send away. Trading away the likes of Paul George or Jimmy Butler would be hard-to-explain steps back for the Pacers or Bulls. And with George Karl gone and a new arena to open, the Kings aren’t likely to move DeMarcus Cousins.

It’s also valid to wonder why the Lakers would want to give up young assets they have under cost-controlled contracts that would fit perfectly with massive incoming free-agent deals.

So while nothing is definite with any of these picks, it’s worth noting that the Celtics may soon have some competition on the trade front.

Back to top Go down

REPORT: LAKERS TO EXPLORE TRADING NO. 2 PICK, WHICH COULD HAMPER CELTICS EFFORTS TO DEAL THIRD PICK Empty Re: REPORT: LAKERS TO EXPLORE TRADING NO. 2 PICK, WHICH COULD HAMPER CELTICS EFFORTS TO DEAL THIRD PICK

Post by kdp59 Fri May 20, 2016 7:04 am

yeah they would like to trade it to OKC for Westbrook.

since many think he wants to head to LA next year as a FA anyway, if OKC brass think so also, they can get Simmons or Ingram and maybe Clarkson instead of nothing.

LA signs Durant as a FA then.

OKC gets a jumpstart on the rebuild they may have to do anyway.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

REPORT: LAKERS TO EXPLORE TRADING NO. 2 PICK, WHICH COULD HAMPER CELTICS EFFORTS TO DEAL THIRD PICK Empty Re: REPORT: LAKERS TO EXPLORE TRADING NO. 2 PICK, WHICH COULD HAMPER CELTICS EFFORTS TO DEAL THIRD PICK

Post by bobheckler Fri May 20, 2016 11:15 am

Sorry, I don't see it.

The top two picks are, pick the order, Ingram and Simmons.  It doesn't matter who gets the picks those guys are going first (barring Buss losing his mind.  Colangelo sure won't).  That's the virtue of going #3, there are only a small number of permutations to deal with.  So, we can say, with a high degree of confidence, to anybody we're talking to that they can draft anybody except those two.  Solid, predictable value.  Is our #3 as good as their #2?  Nope, but it will take more than that.

If the argument is "#2 is MUCH better this year than #3, so trade with LA instead of Boston" then the question to be asked is "what else do you have?".  I had this same discussion, last night over sushi and sake, with 2 Laker fans.  One of them talked about trading the pick for Boogie.  I spat out my sake, saying it was too hot.  Yeah.  Right.  Like the Kings would trade Cousins for a #2 pick, and that's it.  First of all, the $ don't add up.  You have to throw in salaries to make it happen and the Lakers don't have any players that the Kings would want.  Even if both teams are under the cap, Sacto will not trade Boogie for a pick and just a pick.  I just don't see it.  Same with Chicago.  The $ don't add up and the young players that might interest Chicago are all on rookie contracts wouldn't be enough to offset Butler's salary.  

Boston has Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder.  I'm not anxious to trade either of them but their contracts will fill out a trade for a big contract superstar.  Bradley + Amir for Butler works per the Trade Machine.  So does Bradley + Jerebko.  Throw in some picks and you're talking a better package than LA can offer.

I'm not trying to beat up on the Lakers here, I'm trying to point out that it will take more than just a high pick to pry one of those players loose.  Philly can do it with the pick and Okafur and/or Noel and/or Embiid and/or Saric.  We can do it, albeit with lesser but more proven players.  Where's the rest of LA's package?

I don't doubt, not for a New York second, that the Lakers will be dialing for dollars like crazy.  That light Jim Buss is seeing flickering in the corner of his eye is his career termination light and he knows he needs to pull off a coup to turn it off.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri May 20, 2016 11:30 am

so you don't think that OKC would consider the #2 pick and Clarkson for Westbrook on his final year?

If rumors that Westborrok wnats to play in LA are true...I'd think they have to think about it at least.

the few LA fans I know all think they have a shot at Durant in FA'y..why I do not know.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 20, 2016 11:45 am

kdp59 wrote:so you don't think that OKC would consider the #2 pick and Clarkson for Westbrook on his final year?

If rumors that Westborrok wnats to play in LA are true...I'd think they have to think about it at least.

the few LA fans I know all think they have a shot at Durant in FA'y..why I do not know.

kdp,

No, I don't think OKC would go for that.  In fact, if anything was going to make Durant seek greener pastures elsewhere that would be it and I cannot believe that Sam Presti is so myopic as to not see that.

Laker fans think they have a shot at everybody.  I know lots of Laker fans, there are a lot of SoCal transplants up here in NorCal, and most of them think their team is Destination #1.  Of the two Laker fans I had sushi and sake with last night one was thinking they were going to trade the #2 for Boogie and the other one, his brother, just rolled his eyes (the same brother who suggested the Boogie trade also said that, if that falls through, they'd bring Howard back as a free agent now that Kobe is gone).  It's the nature of fandom.  Fans want to believe.  I love playing poker with people like that.  It pays for my sushi and sake.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri May 20, 2016 12:06 pm

OKC has to be all in on re-signing Westbrook and Durant. Like Bob says, trade Westbrook and you lose them both. The only way OKC does that is if Westbrook has flat-out told them he's leaving.

OKC is a championship contender with two stars in their prime. They've got to hold on to that with everything they've got.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri May 20, 2016 12:21 pm

The Lakers can offer the #2 pick, Russell and Williams and Young to match any salaries.
The difference between the #2 pick and the #3 pick this year is huge.
The value of the top 2 picks in potential trades is a lot more than a pick lower than 2.
I would not trade the Lakers #2 pick for the 3, 16, 23 and a protected future 1st.
I read last night that Mitch said they are not looking to trade the #2. I hope they keep that mindset. Let teams come to them with offers. If they don't trade the pick, it's fine. Keep building with Simmons or Ingram.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri May 20, 2016 12:31 pm

OKC will not consider trading Westbrook unless they know Durant is definitely not re-signing. That won't happen until after 7/1, after the draft.
Lakers fans are not expecting Westbrook or Durant this year.
It's a dream, but not realistic.
We are happy to have a future with Simmons or Ingram.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri May 20, 2016 9:30 pm

Can't see any reason LA would want to move that pick. Simmons or Ingram; LA wins either way.

The constant OKC drumbeat, with Durant and/or Westbrook moving seems like pure fantasy. Has there even been rumors that either one is less than happy to be there, playing together, on a contending team?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down