The Celtics Are Better Off Trading the Nets Pick

+4
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
kdp59
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

The Celtics Are Better Off Trading the Nets Pick Empty The Celtics Are Better Off Trading the Nets Pick

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:49 pm

http://hardwoodhoudini.com/2017/02/08/celtics-better-off-trading-nets-pick/

The Celtics Are Better Off Trading the Nets Pick 9633817-isaiah-thomas-jeremy-lin-nba-brooklyn-nets-boston-celtics-850x560

The Celtics Are Better Off Trading the Nets Pick

by Jake Schwab

6 hours ago

The Celtics currently have the best chance of acquiring a superstar for the team

The Boston Celtics have vastly improved over the course of the season as they currently are on a 7-game win streak. As the trade deadline approaches, the Celtics are one of the teams that comes bearing many assets.

As most Celtics fans know, Boston has the right to swap their draft pick with the Brooklyn Nets. As of now, they currently hold a 9-43 record for the season, which is currently the worst in the NBA.

Seeing that the Nets have such an abysmal record, they also have the highest odds to secure the 1st overall pick in the draft. With the deadline on the horizon, the Celtics are currently better off trading away the pick, rather than using it, and here’s why:

1. This year’s draft is owned by point guards

The 2017 NBA draft is mostly comprised of point guard prospects, which is a position the Boston Celtics are in no need of.

Even though the Celtics could use the pick for a top prospect, they would just be adding another point guard to go along with Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier, and Demetrius Jackson. Seeing that Thomas is having an MVP caliber season; other point guards are battling for minutes, which would make it more difficult for a newly-drafted player to squeeze in.

Whether the Celtics waived a guard or not, there would still be difficulties adding another player to the rotation.

2. Boston is looking to win now

The Celtics are currently the second best team in the eastern conference with a record of 33 wins and 18 losses, while winning their last seven.

Throughout the past few seasons, the Celtics have come far from once being a 7th seed surprise to now a potential contender. Since the Celtics are among the best teams, they are going to need players with more experience that can help them go as far as they possibly can.

The C’s are a major threat in the NBA, especially when fully healthy, leaving no room for more rookies.

3. The Celtics could acquire a superstar

It has been long said that the Celtics would be poised to trade for a superstar and what better time than now.

Since the trade deadline is a couple weeks away, Danny Ainge should be looking for a deal that would officially make the Celtics a contender. The Celtics are usually involved in trade rumors involving big name players like; Jimmy Butler, Demarcus Cousins, Paul MIllsap, and Carmelo Anthony.

bob
MY NOTE: Interesting. We have an article written by a writer who says we got nothing and now we have a writer who says we've good stuff to offer.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Celtics Are Better Off Trading the Nets Pick Empty Re: The Celtics Are Better Off Trading the Nets Pick

Post by kdp59 Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:39 am

truth is somewhere in between, no doubt.

but the Nets pick this year is the big prize in any deal.

while I understand the desire on many Celtic fans to keep that pick at ALL COSTS ( how often do you get a top 3 pick?) , the writer makes a good point about THIS draft maybe not being a good fit with the current team.

of course you also don't pass on a future hall of fame player (Maybe) just because he doesn't fit the current  roster.

Danny will have perhaps one of his toughest choices by trade deadline this year. Go all in and set the team up to win now (and in the next few years) or  continue building assets, with the hope that one or two become elite in the future.

I would argue that IF he can acquire a star player to add to our core and only lose ONE of the Nets three picks ( J. Brown, 2017, 2018), then he may be able do both.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

The Celtics Are Better Off Trading the Nets Pick Empty Re: The Celtics Are Better Off Trading the Nets Pick

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:52 am

Someone has to go. Either we trade someone (Bradley, with his history of injuries and contract situation?) and make room for Markelle Fultz or Ball or we trade the pick (with players for salary matching purposes) for someone we need and accelerate the rebuild.

I don't see Danny getting someone that will take us up another level for Amir, Jonas or Zeller and their expiring contracts, not without one of the Nyets picks. So, which one? This year's which seems to be very guard-oriented (who is coveted by GMs today) and keep next year's and hope the Nyets suck again (if anybody can give me a good reason for them improving I'd love to hear it)?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:52 pm

Nonsense article.

This pick is a keeper.

If we're trying to build a perennial contender, having a high pick in a loaded draft is a big plus.

We have a couple of key needs to fill, and we can almost certainly take care of at least one using that 2017 Nets pick.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:03 pm

even if we draft another guard, who could be a great player, look at our record without a rebounding enforcer? would I like one sure, but this is a guard oriented league right now, bunch of pussies running around shooting 3's.....thats what wins today.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:04 pm

at least I didn't say fagits LOL

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:30 pm

I somehow missed this post when Bob posted it, but I have a real fondness of what the core players
bring to our current team in the after Pierce and Garnett trade. Stevens is the head man, but these players are the living and breathing examples of our team's culture now and in moving forward.

Trading for a star player at this time of the year is not only going to cost at least one of the Nets picks (probably the '17 pick or maybe even both picks).

It will also cost us at least two parts of our team's core. The willingness to trade a Nets pick along with salaries like Johnson and Zeller is not going to be enough to acquire Butler or George.

Even adding another bunch of lower picks is not likely to get another team to give up a young, proven player like the two guys I already mentioned because salaries have to match whatever Butler and/or George currently make. The Nets pick may be a great player, but he may also fall flat on his face just as easily. I do not see such a gamble worth it to the Bulls or Pacers.

Not because he has been injured for so long now, but Bradley is the only guy in our current core that I could trade due to his contract situation two summers from now. I do not see the Cs signing both IT and Bradley for max contracts that summer as they seem to want to avoid the luxury taxes from what they say, and lots of other guys will be making bigger money (starting with Horford) by then besides just Thomas and Bradley.

However, trading someone like Crowder or Smart along with Bradely is not something I want to see at this time. Smaller moves to better our rebounding and post defense are much more preferable for me.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by BaronV Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:52 pm

Another option the article didn't bring up is potentially trading down with the pick this year to get both a player we need (e.g. the best center or PF in the draft), and another asset for next year. I don't follow college ball enough to know who this would be, but if the top couple of players are PGs and we want to keep our current core together, this is a possibility. Seems like a shame to not use the #1 pick if we get it, but if we don't need another PG this is a way to make the team better.

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:18 pm

BaronV wrote:Another option the article didn't bring up is potentially trading down with the pick this year to get both a player we need (e.g. the best center or PF in the draft), and another asset for next year.  I don't follow college ball enough to know who this would be, but if the top couple of players are PGs and we want to keep our current core together, this is a possibility.  Seems like a shame to not use the #1 pick if we get it, but if we don't need another PG this is a way to make the team better.  

Baron,

Excellent point. Trading #1 down for, say, the #7 might be the grease needed to break free a star but still get us an upper-lottery player we like.

The only thing I know is that nobody, no-body, is safe when Trader Danny is awake.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:21 pm

I doubt George is avaialble. Indiana is 7 games above 0.500, number 6 in the east, and only 2 games behind the 3rd spot. They are not going into tank mode this season.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Lol.. cow u crack me up.

As far as trading the nets pick... here is my thinking on the matter. If we consider this our core and untouchable: Thomas, Smart, Bradley, Brown, Crowder and Horford then we have one hell of a core.

Being that Horford represents the opening of a very expensive 4 year window and that above named core is set to become a very expensive group of fellers starting the summer after this one it is most wise to act sooner than latter on modifying the team so that it can complete throught that 4 year window.

During this 4 year window that ends in the season of 2020 we have between 4 and 6 second round picks, 2 more of our own firsts, the two nets picks and 3 other first round picks.

We also have two guys stashed overseas and Nader doing his thind in the minors.

I'll give up ever last oNE of those picks for shots at 18, 19 and 20.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down